Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I am sure Williamson will eventually get the bump considering he is editorial's favorite right now. But Bendis is on Justice League precisely because he is the only one approaching A-list at DC who is willing to contribute to the mainline. Everyone else above him seems to have jumped ship or switched to doing Black Label stuff.

[spoilers]

I'm surprised Lois actually knows about Leo's existence. I wonder if their first meeting happens in Checkmate or if they already knew each other. I even toyed with the idea of Leo and Lucy being the same person (with Leo being a trans man), but it doesn't seem like it.

I have to say I did enjoy this issue a little more than the previous one. I'm a sucker for cosmic teams, even if the Order sound and look extremely generic. I miss the L.E.G.I.O.N., but I think I'll have to settle for this.

I was hoping Bendis would explain why the Daxamite is blue, but she's just introuced as a "megadaxamite", which isn't explained. It's weird because she looks like the child of Shadow Lass and Mon-El, but that would be convoluted as all hell.
    I also hope Bendis explains why the guy from that lizard race that appeared in New Teen Titans looks like a white man. I really hope it isn't just another continuity mistake from Bendis (like Lucy Lane seemingly being ignored).

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    [spoilers]
    I was hoping Bendis would explain why the Daxamite is blue, but she's just introuced as a "megadaxamite", which isn't explained. It's weird because she looks like the child of Shadow Lass and Mon-El, but that would be convoluted as all hell.
    I also hope Bendis explains why the guy from that lizard race that appeared in New Teen Titans looks like a white man. I really hope it isn't just another continuity mistake from Bendis (like Lucy Lane seemingly being ignored).
    You know what they say... it's the hope that kills you

In the current Bendis version of the DCU:
    - Mon-El is a Kryptonian descendant of Superman.
    - Gordanians are white guys, not lizard people.
    - Daxamites are blue.
    - Lois Lane has no sister, but has a brother.

We'll provide updates as needed.

I'm also a sucker for cosmic teams... I just wish that writers would stop using the same fifteen or so races over and over and over again.

It's a big damn universe - why is it always Tamaranians, Daxamites, Thanagarians, Dominators, etc? This version of the United Planets allegedly holds so much sway that they've convinced the bil*******of-years-old Guardians of the Universe to cede their patrolling rights to up to a third of their sectors - so why are 90% of their reps seemingly from one galaxy (and at least a couple of them from one star system?)

Oh dear, I seem to have climbed onto my hobby-horse again.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post

- Daxamites are blue.

We'll provide updates as needed.

I'm also a sucker for cosmic teams... I just wish that writers would stop using the same fifteen or so races over and over and over again.

It's a big damn universe - why is it always Tamaranians, Daxamites, Thanagarians, Dominators, etc? This version of the United Planets allegedly holds so much sway that they've convinced the bil*******of-years-old Guardians of the Universe to cede their patrolling rights to up to a third of their sectors - so why are 90% of their reps seemingly from one galaxy (and at least a couple of them from one star system?)

Oh dear, I seem to have climbed onto my hobby-horse again.
    Into the Bendis-Verse .

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Bendis just should not be given (and should accept the fact that he can't write) large scale super-heroics. He's great with the more down to earth heroes like Daredevil, Spider-Man, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones....I think he might even be great with Green Arrow or Manhunter. But man he stinks with larger than life group heroes like the Avengers, the Legion and the League. At least with Young Justice we got Conner back. I really wish we had a different writer for the Justice League.
    I agree, his New Avengers worked because it was street level characters dealing with cosmic threats, so it was fun seeing them up against entities like the Collector. The best issues were the ones set in their down time, where the comic shut up for a second and just had an issue where the Avengers would do their own thing. It's why Ultimate Spider-Man remains as my favourite Spider-Man book, it just has issues where you'd get Peter telling MJ that he is Spider-Man, or Aunt May in therapy.

His Justice League is the first thing I've read of his from DC (And JL for that matter) and I get nothing. There's moments of greatness, but for the most part it feels too distant. Which is a shame as I do like the Green Arrow/ Black Canary stuff, but other than that, this new arc isn't grabbing me. The first arc felt like it could have been cut down to 3 issues and have an issue of down time. I feel like this will be seen as Aaron's Avengers, and I don't know how much longer I'll stay with the book.

I gave Cantwell's Iron Man a chance and it has become a small favourite of mine, Brisson's New Mutants ended on a high note, but I don't feel like Bendis will change. It'll just be fairly plain. At least a bad comic is something, I may think Amazing Spider-Man is one of the most bizarre things I've read in a while, but I'm not bored, and in fact I like what it's doing. It's just... well, it's written worse than Bendis JL with a lot more time wasting, but I'm enjoying having my time wasted. It's not watching pain dry, but watching 2 hours of trailers and 20 minutes of film.

I'll give it to the end of this arc, if it doesn't improve, then I'm dropping it. I really wish Bendis would just do Batman at this point, and I feel DC may have made a mistake spending so much getting him because his time at DC so far hasn't been great.
    It hurts because I love his stuff and he comes across as a great Person, but his recent stuff has just been boring.

I wish we could go back to the Bendis of 2008 where he was writing USM, New Avengers and gave us Secret Invasion, Ultimate Origin and Illumanti, all that stuff was great.

This issue reads like Bendis wrote it while being rushed to the hospital with food poisoning. Some okay ideas involved, but just a bunch of slapdash words and phrases tossed together in a way that wouldn't earn him a passing grade in a college comics writing course. Is he letting his kids write this to save him some time?

DC's editors have REALLY got to grow a pair and tell him this shoddiness won't stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    [spoilers]

I'm surprised Lois actually knows about Leo's existence. I wonder if their first meeting happens in Checkmate or if they already knew each other. I even toyed with the idea of Leo and Lucy being the same person (with Leo being a trans man), but it doesn't seem like it.

I have to say I did enjoy this issue a little more than the previous one. I'm a sucker for cosmic teams, even if the Order sound and look extremely generic. I miss the L.E.G.I.O.N., but I think I'll have to settle for this.

Hahahaha! Bendis, explaining something?? Oh, that is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post

- Daxamites are blue.
    The earth will be destroyed in one thousand years.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Bendis just should not be given (and should accept the fact that he can't write) large scale super-heroics. He's great with the more down to earth heroes like Daredevil, Spider-Man, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones....I think he might even be great with Green Arrow or Manhunter. But man he stinks with larger than life group heroes like the Avengers, the Legion and the League. At least with Young Justice we got Conner back. I really wish we had a different writer for the Justice League.
    In the meanwhile, we have Chip Zdarsky's Last ride. Far better.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    More like king of misinterpreting facts.

What makes Bendis's text caption more authoritative than onscreen appearances in Rucka's Lois mini published the same year. Why do you give Bendis priority, instead of assuming that Bendis is just wrong and made a mistake, and his caption is invalid? Isn'6t that more likely than Lucy being deliberately erased from continuity?

You see I don't consider Superman or Justice League to be a higher level of canon than Lois Lane. They take -place in the same continuity and have the same weight nominally. Lucy lane has a history of existing on the Prime Earth, as seen on panel. That trumps Bendis's obviously incorrect text caption. Having more readers or eyes on your work does not in of itself make it more authoritative. It simply means you're under more scrutiny.

As pointed out, so did Bendis's Superman. So that can not be properly invoked in this case.

Also I would feel her being deliberately erased would go against the point of Death Metal, which is to make everything canon.

Though the way it's phrased from that panel, Lois could just be putting her self in her mother's mind, which would translate to Lois's mother and Lucy being on bad terms. Though neither is an explanation I like, but rather just taking a stab at a no-prize. Simply disregarding Bendis's caption is simply better, I 'd say.

Is there additional evidence not presented? Well, if you want to believe that a single text cap from a writer who is demonstrably bad at continuity is enough to invalidate a history of on page appearances in the same continuity, including those published the same year, I don't think I'll be able to convince you otherwise, as I'm sure you've already made up your mind. But to me as it stands it's far from conclusive evidence.
    Nope. So Lucy is erased.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Nope. So Lucy is erased.
    At least until a new, better writer comes along and undoes Bizarro-Bendis damage to the Super-verse . . .

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Nope. So Lucy is erased.
    Well, at least until another Superman writer remembers her.

Astonishing Member

Nah. Moving on bye.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    At least until a new, better writer comes along and undoes Bizarro-Bendis damage to the Super-verse . . .
    Bizarro Bendis would be an excellent writer!! Standard Bendis is the problem. Bizarro Bendis would give each character their own voice, will not write for the trade, and his characters would not speak mamet style.

I really wish he'd stop making retroactive changes and additions on a whim to Superman's mythos to make a mark, especially when he's not even the main scribe of the line anymore. As if things don't suck enough for main line Superman as it is.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I'd hoped this thread was going to be about how bad Bendis is with suggestions for replacing him. Instead it's almost all about Lucy Lane. Okay, I'll play.

"It all happened." Lucy exists, just not under Bendis's broken pen.