Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Why Spider-man is not a legacy character

For Spider-man not being a legacy I found a great post and it's recent.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTXtZGOPRVM/

Also check out for further explanation

https://www.instagram.com/stories/gr...6448323511159/

Not saying it's right but it makes a good point and why other Spiders are less compelling than Peter as Spider-man.

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

I really don’t agree with the explanation in the first link but, yeah, the whole “anyone can wear the mask” is a problem.

Not anyone can or should wear the mask. Spider-Man is an identity tied to the tragedies Peter experienced, this not something you can or should share.

That being said I love Mayday in the MC2 and Miguel in 2099.

Spider-Gwen was a fun experience but she should have stayed on Earth-65. Same for Miles with 1610.

Don’t know what to think about the other Spider-Girl/Woman or clones like Ben and Kaine. I guess they’re fine as long as they stay in a specific corner of 616.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    I really don’t agree with the explanation in the first link but, yeah, the whole “anyone can wear the mask” is a problem.

Not anyone can or should wear the mask. Spider-Man is an identity tied to the tragedies Peter experienced, this not something you can or should share.

That being said I love Mayday in the MC2 and Miguel in 2099.

Spider-Gwen was a fun experience but she should have stayed on Earth-65. Same for Miles with 1610.

Don’t know what to think about the other Spider-Girl/Woman or clones like Ben and Kaine. I guess they’re fine as long as they stay in a specific corner of 616.
    Read my mind.

I do think Mayday is the legacy(Peter's inclusion really makes the difference, I don't much care if the og is in legacy for any other character but Spidey needs it) if there is one and then Miguel's take on Spider-man makes sense in the distant future.

Miles and Gwen should be in their universes.

I say 1-2 or max 3 should be around in their corners, rest are just ignored so make a major story for them to give them a proper send-off.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    Spider-Man is an identity tied to the tragedies Peter experienced, this not something you can or should share.
    I wouldn't say that. Spider-Man represents the best aspects of Peter Parker, and Peter's tragedies are down to him being Peter Parker.

Remember the only chance Peter had to save Uncle Ben was as Spider-Man and his refusal to be a superhero was what led to Ben's death.

Anyway, at this point, it's useless to close the barn door after the horse is bolted. Whether Spider-Man should be a legacy is irrelevant from the fact that he is one.

Get used to it.

Miles Morales literally said in the Generations issue that Spider-man is Peter Parker's pain.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I would regard it as somewhat similar to Batman over at DC, in that Spider-Man also started off as an outgrowth of the specific trauma of the specific man behind the mask, but grew into a genuinely heroic, inspiring model for others to follow and even emulate in spite of --- and maybe because of --- whatever flaws and failings the man behind the mask had. To me, Spider-Man having a successor, whether one of his grown-up children in the future or just someone inspired by his example, isn't something to be taken as a slight to his character, but a sign of how much positive impact he's had on the world he inhabits.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I would regard it as somewhat similar to Batman over at DC, in that Spider-Man also started off as an outgrowth of the specific trauma of the specific man behind the mask, but grew into a genuinely heroic, inspiring model for others to follow and even emulate in spite of --- and maybe because of --- whatever flaws and failings the man behind the mask had. To me, Spider-Man having a successor, whether one of his grown-up children in the future or just someone inspired by his example, isn't something to be taken as a slight to his character, but a sign of how much positive impact he's had on the world he inhabits.
    Exactly.

I mean think of "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man" who adulated Spider-Man and even after hearing from Peter his motivations for being Spider-Man, still sees him as his hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Miles Morales literally said in the Generations issue that Spider-man is Peter Parker's pain.
    That might be how it's written there and it might be how Peter feels or readers or others feel, but feelings are one thing, the truth is another.

Spectacular Member FeliciaSpidey's Avatar

I just hope they can give Miles his own name and distinguish him from Peter. Instead of treating them like one person.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FeliciaSpidey View Post
    I just hope they can give Miles his own name and distinguish him from Peter. Instead of treating them like one person.
    Miles should return to the UU where he belongs.

Astonishing Member

Can we please stick to one thread about the whole legacy theme? I swear there are like five.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    In addition to this, I also think it's great and important that most of Peter's legacy characters never made the same mistake he did when he first got his powers. That shows the positive impact that Peter had on the world.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by FeliciaSpidey View Post
    Thank you.That or back to the UU

Astonishing Member

For 616, a good legacy are as follows:

Kaine Parker
    Jessica Drew
    Black Widow
    Peter Parker
    Julia Carpenter

This would be an excellent foundation of the Spider-Legacy because their origins are not tied to each other. But they would make for an excellent team.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Miles should return to the UU where he belongs.
    The reality is that Miles Morales has now clocked far more appearances as a 616 character than he did in the Ultimate Universe and he's in the list of top 10 recurring supporting characters in Spider-Man, far moreso than Ben Reilly or whoever else you can name here.

Miles is the most successful legacy of Spider-Man. That's the floor.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The reality is that Miles Morales has now clocked far more appearances as a 616 character than he did in the Ultimate Universe and he's in the list of top 10 recurring supporting characters in Spider-Man, far moreso than Ben Reilly or whoever else you can name here.

I that reason was that Bendis wanted to continue using the character, even though Marvel decided to end the UU. The others I've mentioned have that potential as well. I would like to see Jessica Drew a reoccurring character in ASM and SSM respectively as often as Black Cat. With Miles, Silk, and Spider-Gwen, they were bitten by the same radioactive spider, where as Jessica Drew, Julia Carpenter, and Natasha Romanov did not. The latter makes Spider-Man's legacy appealing in my mind.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

Because of his games and movies.And the point is Spider-man isn't really a legacy, specially not in the way Miles does it.Existing side by side w/ Peter as Spider-man in the same universe and city is a complete No-No.Kid or distant future make some sense.

And he had purpose and was better in the UU, no one is saying he has less or more appearances in 616.He's not a legacy in UU, not really.

And he isn't a supporting character to Pete or has any meaningful relationship w/ him.Not asking for Batman and Robin but they should interact more mentor student style if he stays in the 616.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 09-04-2021 at 07:35 AM.