Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I that reason was that Bendis wanted to continue using the character, even though Marvel decided to end the UU.
    The reason is that Miles Morales was popular and beloved and Marvel wanted Miles to enter the main 616 Universe feeling that the Ultimate Universe ending wasn't a good reason to deny the world of more Miles.

Marvel wouldn't have kept Miles in print out of simple sentiment, they aren't a sentimental company as a casual glance at the wikipedia of Jack Kirby or a recent Ed Brubaker interview will tell you.

The fact is Miles Morales is here to stay, as is the Spider-Family.

That is the reality today.

John Byrne, a guy who I always disagree with more than otherwise, once said something interesting or rather self-revealing where he talked about why he and Chris Claremont broke up their partnership on X-Men:

"There was also a little piece off to one side where Chris and I had argued a great deal about who the characters were and how the characters act, and what they would say and what they would do and I realized that the Chris version of the characters was what was seeing print. The way Chris wrote it was what was seeing print, regardless of what I thought it was in my head while I was drawing the pages. So if I didn't like what Chris was doing, that meant I didn't like the characters."
    -- Comics-Creators on X-Men, Page 114.

So maybe if you don't like the fact Spider-Man is a legacy character and so on, the fact is separate from the version that is in print now. So that must mean you don't like Spider-Man comics right now. And I've been there. I didn't like OMD and BND and Slott's run but that was in print so in that time, for all intents and purposes, I did not like 616 Spider-Man at that time. I read Ultimate Spider-Man regularly in that time and I was there when Miles arrived and Miles was so much preferable to follow than 616 Spider-Man at that time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The reason is that Miles Morales was popular and beloved and Marvel wanted Miles to enter the main 616 Universe feeling that the Ultimate Universe ending wasn't a good reason to deny the world of more Miles.

Marvel wouldn't have kept Miles in print out of simple sentiment, they aren't a sentimental company as a casual glance at the wikipedia of Jack Kirby or a recent Ed Brubaker interview will tell you.

The fact is Miles Morales is here to stay, as is the Spider-Family.

That is the reality today.

John Byrne, a guy who I always disagree with more than otherwise, once said something interesting or rather self-revealing where he talked about why he and Chris Claremont broke up their partnership on X-Men:

"There was also a little piece off to one side where Chris and I had argued a great deal about who the characters were and how the characters act, and what they would say and what they would do and I realized that the Chris version of the characters was what was seeing print. The way Chris wrote it was what was seeing print, regardless of what I thought it was in my head while I was drawing the pages. So if I didn't like what Chris was doing, that meant I didn't like the characters."
    -- Comics-Creators on X-Men, Page 114.

So maybe if you don't like the fact Spider-Man is a legacy character and so on, the fact is separate from the version that is in print now. So that must mean you don't like Spider-Man comics right now. And I've been there. I didn't like OMD and BND and Slott's run but that was in print so in that time, for all intents and purposes, I did not like 616 Spider-Man at that time. I read Ultimate Spider-Man regularly in that time and I was there when Miles arrived and Miles was so much preferable to follow than 616 Spider-Man at that time.
    Yeah, they do treat him as legacy.The point of my post is that he is not a legacy and Marvel shouldn't treat him as one.
    Same way Peter isn't a man child but has been written as one.

Mighty Member

I Dom mind having other spider characters. I actually think you should cap it at Miles, Ben and maybe a Spider-woman. I’m not keen on the Spider family however. Have a couple but leave it at that.

And if we’re going to get a spider family, at least let me see Ultimate Peter and Main Peter interact. Let my 8 year old self just have that one.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I Dom mind having other spider characters. I actually think you should cap it at Miles, Ben and maybe a Spider-woman. I’m not keen on the Spider family however. Have a couple but leave it at that.

And if we’re going to get a spider family, at least let me see Ultimate Peter and Main Peter interact. Let my 8 year old self just have that one.
    Yeah, also make sure they aren't Spider-man.
    Like Scarlet Spider, Spider-woman, etc. work.But multiple Spider-man in the same universe is a big No-No.
    So Miles get's his own identity or goes to UU.Ben/Kaine, personally Kaine is much more different than Peter and the rest including Ben so I say he is Scarlet Spider.
    Jessica Drew is Spider-woman, we still have Julia as madame Web for those stories.
    Gwen goes back to 65, Anya gets a solo ending with retiring/death.Ben has beyond which ends in Retiring/Death.

The reality is that Miles Morales has now clocked far more appearances as a 616 character than he did in the Ultimate Universe and he's in the list of top 10 recurring supporting characters in Spider-Man, far moreso than Ben Reilly or whoever else you can name here.

Miles is the most successful legacy of Spider-Man. That's the floor.
    Miles isn't even a supporting character though, in the context of the comics. He's basically more of a guest star as afar as Peter's stories.

The reality is that Miles Morales has now clocked far more appearances as a 616 character than he did in the Ultimate Universe and he's in the list of top 10 recurring supporting characters in Spider-Man, far moreso than Ben Reilly or whoever else you can name here.

Miles is the most successful legacy of Spider-Man. That's the floor.
    I think both Miguel and Mayday were legitimate successes as successors, but in a different context of course. In our modern Marvel movie world, Miles and Gwen seem to have proven themselves to a degree beyond most of the other Spider characters.

-Pav, who still likes Ben best...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    I really don’t agree with the explanation in the first link but, yeah, the whole “anyone can wear the mask” is a problem.

Not anyone can or should wear the mask. Spider-Man is an identity tied to the tragedies Peter experienced, this not something you can or should share.

That being said I love Mayday in the MC2 and Miguel in 2099.

Spider-Gwen was a fun experience but she should have stayed on Earth-65. Same for Miles with 1610.

Don’t know what to think about the other Spider-Girl/Woman or clones like Ben and Kaine. I guess they’re fine as long as they stay in a specific corner of 616.
    For the most part, the other Spider-Girls and Women are just unrelated characters, excluding Mattie Franklin who's not around anymore anyways. Jessica Drew, Julia Carpenter, and Anya Corazon have pretty much always been separate before being tied back into Peter later on, and are good characters on their own.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I think both Miguel and Mayday were legitimate successes as successors, but in a different context of course. In our modern Marvel movie world, Miles and Gwen seem to have proven themselves to a degree beyond most of the other Spider characters.

-Pav, who still likes Ben best...
    This is pretty true.
    Miles works as an alternate universe Spidey and well at that but in 616 w/Pete w/ the name it doesn't.
    Spider-gwen isn't a gwen.As someone who does like 616 Gwen it only ruins the impact of her death.She works great as an alt. universe thing and her home-world is one of the best ones we have seen and it's a shame they strand her on 616.
    And their relationship is legit the worst and most forced thing in comics.It's great in ITSV.

Miguel and Mayday are actual legacy characters and do a great job for Spidey who isn't a mantle imo.

Yeah, we all have our guilty pleasures.I still want to see more of Mattie Franklin in a mentor student tragic relationship mentioned.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    For the most part, the other Spider-Girls and Women are just unrelated characters, excluding Mattie Franklin who's not around anymore anyways. Jessica Drew, Julia Carpenter, and Anya Corazon have pretty much always been separate before being tied back into Peter later on, and are good characters on their own.
    Agreed.But they shouldn't be part of Spider-verse stuff then.Julia makes sense, she is madame web.
    Anya is in a weird place for me, they pushed her big.Gave her the iconic costume but she's never picked up.

Honestly, legacy heroes never made a whole lot of sense to me in the first place. Most people want to establish their own identity, and in today's culture with social media people more than ever are obsessed with their persona as part of their "brand."

Granted certain do characters make sense. Captain America is an Uber patriot identity created by the U.S. government. He is propaganda. (This is not a dig at Steve Rogers or anyone else that held the shield, FYI. I like Steve, Sam and Bucky.) The U.S. government can (and has) passed the mantle onto anyone they see fit for the role. (Ie: John Walker)
    Any hero that has a consistant sidekick. It makes sense that said sidekick is training to take over the mantle. Otherwise, you're just needlessly endangering a minor. ie: Dick Grayson becoming Batman.
    The superhero has a son or daughter who feels obligated to carry on the family legacy (had to have a great relationship with hero parent though, not one filled with resent. Ie: Mayday Parker, Spider-Girl.) I really wish Wolverine and X-23 spent more time on panel together, because Laura taking on the Wolverine mantle just feels so artificial (imo.)

Any character who is received with a mixed or extremely negative public opinion however, would probably NOT be a legacy hero. Spider-man is often feared and hated by the public, and considering that in recent years he is treated as a laughingstock by the rest of the superhero community (heroes like Luke Cage, etc.) It becomes rather unbelievable that anyone would want to carry on that mantle in the 616. (The film "Into the Spiderverse" solved it by showing us the world viewed Parker as both a great hero AND a celebrity, so Miles as a legacy hero makes sense in this one instance.)

Legacy villains on the other hand, DO make sense. A lot of villains chose crime because they think robbing people is easier than using their powers legitimately. (Electro could be a self made millionaire if he used his abilities to generate electrical power for people that need it... ) But villains don't think like that, so of course they would steal another villain's gimmick and weaponry if given half a chance! (Ie: Jason Macendale killing and taking over as the new Hobgoblin, Bart Hamilton as the third Green Goblin or 3 out of the 4 Mister Fears.) Villains also have a habit of dying due to their own evil machinations, so it also makes sense that an identity would be up for grabs by lazy uncreative baddies hoping to get rich quick.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Mighty Member

Miles makes sense to be a Spider-man, as in the ultimate universe, Spider-man ended up being loved and missed. But I do agree, he was in a better place with the Ultimate Universe. There he was headlining that whole universe, being the front and centre. In 616, he is kind of just… there. I’ve heard his comics are good, but I feel he’ll live up to a much better publishing potential if the UU was still around.

But that’s also a tricky situation because I don’t think the Ultimate universe should return, at least not in any permanent way.
    Ideally Peter would retire and train Miles, be his superhero teacher. But I wouldn’t want that either because A. I like my Peter Parker and B. It’l mean that Miles doesn’t really stand on his own.
    He is an interesting character tbh, because I like having him around, but where he is at the moment isn’t really ideal. But it’s also probably the best thing for both him and the Marvel publishing line as a whole.

I guess the one solution would be to put him back in the Ultimate Universe, but have Ultimate Spider-man being the sole comic.
    Or make him be a universe jumping Spider-man, where he solves the street crimes in different universe. That would be fun but also rather pointless.

I just don’t know what you can do with Miles.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

The Spider-Man title should go back to monthly (even if they find a middle ground with 30 pages instead of 20) - and showcase Peter AND Miles.

Miles allows readers to get an older Peter without Marvel losing the precious teen Spidey they want. There’s lots of stories there, I just struggle to find that anyone has really capitalised on it. Miles adds a new dynamic to Peters story (which is growing stale with Aunt May and MJ, Id probably say best injection of life into that was JJJ finding out) in that he has someone to train and another hero to look out for and watch over.

The real answer is because the idea of being inspired by Peter Parker is embarassing.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The real answer is because the idea of being inspired by Peter Parker is embarassing.
    He's literally the a role model human and what most should strive to be?
    Always trying harder, getting back up, helping others.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Honestly, legacy heroes never made a whole lot of sense to me in the first place. Most people want to establish their own identity, and in today's culture with social media people more than ever are obsessed with their persona as part of their "brand."

Granted certain do characters make sense. Captain America is an Uber patriot identity created by the U.S. government. He is propaganda. (This is not a dig at Steve Rogers or anyone else that held the shield, FYI. I like Steve, Sam and Bucky.) The U.S. government can (and has) passed the mantle onto anyone they see fit for the role. (Ie: John Walker)
    Any hero that has a consistant sidekick. It makes sense that said sidekick is training to take over the mantle. Otherwise, you're just needlessly endangering a minor. ie: Dick Grayson becoming Batman.
    The superhero has a son or daughter who feels obligated to carry on the family legacy (had to have a great relationship with hero parent though, not one filled with resent. Ie: Mayday Parker, Spider-Girl.) I really wish Wolverine and X-23 spent more time on panel together, because Laura taking on the Wolverine mantle just feels so artificial (imo.)

Any character who is received with a mixed or extremely negative public opinion however, would probably NOT be a legacy hero. Spider-man is often feared and hated by the public, and considering that in recent years he is treated as a laughingstock by the rest of the superhero community (heroes like Luke Cage, etc.) It becomes rather unbelievable that anyone would want to carry on that mantle in the 616. (The film "Into the Spiderverse" solved it by showing us the world viewed Parker as both a great hero AND a celebrity, so Miles as a legacy hero makes sense in this one instance.)

Legacy villains on the other hand, DO make sense. A lot of villains chose crime because they think robbing people is easier than using their powers legitimately. (Electro could be a self made millionaire if he used his abilities to generate electrical power for people that need it... ) But villains don't think like that, so of course they would steal another villain's gimmick and weaponry if given half a chance! (Ie: Jason Macendale killing and taking over as the new Hobgoblin, Bart Hamilton as the third Green Goblin or 3 out of the 4 Mister Fears.) Villains also have a habit of dying due to their own evil machinations, so it also makes sense that an identity would be up for grabs by lazy uncreative baddies hoping to get rich quick.
    Man facts being spoken.read my mind.

Captain America is a title, that makes sense.
    Miles made sense in UU because Spidey's death left a void which he was trying to fill, but in 616 he should make his own thing.
    Grow up, step out of the Spider-man mask, discover himself and who he wants to be and most importantly be his own hero.