Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Agreed.But they shouldn't be part of Spider-verse stuff then.Julia makes sense, she is madame web.
    Anya is in a weird place for me, they pushed her big.Gave her the iconic costume but she's never picked up.
    Jessica Drew should become part of the Spider-Family, as well as Black Widow. While they do not have to share the same origin as Peter, they can come in as reoccurring guests in his world and vice versa. There are a lot of storyline development between Jessica and Natasha in Peter's world. Having Parker make Spider-Tech for Jessica and Natasha would open doors to stories that has yet to be tapped..

The problem is that there's no good Spider-names besides Spider-Man.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    1)Scarlet Spider
    2)Spider-woman
    3)Spider-girl(for the younger ones)
    4)Madame Web
    5)Ghost-Spider
    6)Silk

We have a name for everyone, Miles just needs his own.Something Like Shadow Spider(because of his camo), or maybe ditch the Spider thing entirely and do something new.Maybe ditch the mask and just be Miles.Anything other than being called Spidey in the same universe and city as Spider-man.It makes no sense, not just in-universe but IRL too.

Miles became Spidey to fill a void in the 1610, 616 has no void.Moreover it's confusing and people in comics have been confused by this since they both have secret identities.

1)Scarlet Spider
    2)Spider-woman
    3)Spider-girl(for the younger ones)
    4)Madame Web
    5)Ghost-Spider
    6)Silk

We have a name for everyone, Miles just needs his own.Something Like Shadow Spider(because of his camo), or maybe ditch the Spider thing entirely and do something new.Maybe ditch the mask and just be Miles.Anything other than being called Spidey in the same universe and city as Spider-man.It makes no sense, not just in-universe but IRL too.

Miles became Spidey to fill a void in the 1610, 616 has no void.Moreover it's confusing and people in comics have been confused by this since they both have secret identities.
    ditch the mask? abandon the Spider thing? why so protective of Peter? First Ben, Miles im going to assume Miguel as well. Is no one besides Peter allowed to be Spider-man? And the people who are confused about it arent they regulars civilians at best so who cares what they think? Sure Miles had a void to fill in his universe. And he is brought to our current universe but its not like the character in universe have an issue with one another. Is this going to be a Robin situation debating whos the best
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    ditch the mask? abandon the Spider thing? why so protective of Peter? First Ben, Miles im going to assume Miguel as well. Is no one besides Peter allowed to be Spider-man? And the people who are confused about it arent they regulars civilians at best so who cares what they think? Sure Miles had a void to fill in his universe. And he is brought to our current universe but its not like the character in universe have an issue with one another. Is this going to be a Robin situation debating whos the best
    Well, Peter is The Spider-Man and Miles is a Spider-Man. That's how I perceive it. It would be much better if Miles created his own Indentity, Shadow Spider actually sounds pretty cool, and goes well with his costume and his abilities.
    I suppose my opinion will be unpopular, but I've always found Miles to be a bit boring. I can't remember any iconic moments from his adventures in comics, besides giving MoleculeMan a burger. He is kinda like Peter Lite, a Spider-Man created for kids.

The only time he got really interesting, was in Spiderverse movie. That characterisation was great.

And when I think about it, I don't really have that problem with other Spider-Men or Women. I love Miguel, and how his personality contrast with Peter, him being sarcastic and all. Kaine is a cool example of character, who really grew when he became Scarlet Spider. Spider-Gwen, was interesting because of the contrast between her and 616 version. Ben Reilly - well... I didn't read much of the clone saga in the 90's, but from what I recall, people loved Ben because he was a gentle and heroic character - still You can apply that to Peter... Which is right, because he is a clone of him.
    But Miles is his own man, not a clone - and yet, he feels like one.
    Last edited by Dzika_Sowa; 09-06-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    Well, Peter is The Spider-Man and Miles is a Spider-Man. That's how I perceive it. It would be much better if Miles created his own Indentity, Shadow Spider actually sounds pretty cool, and goes well with his costume and his abilities.
    I suppose my opinion will be unpopular, but I've always found Miles to be a bit boring. I can't remember any iconic moments from his adventures in comics, besides giving MoleculeMan a burger. He is kinda like Peter Lite, a Spider-Man created for kids.

The only time he got really interesting, was in Spiderverse movie. That characterisation was great.

And when I think about it, I don't really have that problem with other Spider-Men or Women. I love Miguel, and how his personality contrast with Peter, him being sarcastic and all. Kaine is a cool example of character, who really grew when he became Scarlet Spider. Spider-Gwen, was interesting because of the contrast between her and 616 version. Ben Reilly - well... I didn't read much of the clone saga in the 90's, but from what I recall, people loved Ben because he was a gentle and heroic character - still You can apply that to Peter... Which is right, because he is a clone of him.
    But Miles is his own man, not a clone - and yet, he feels like one.
    This.Peter is THE Spider-man, miles is a Spiderman.

In miles's first 10 years he has almost no iconic moments, his rogue's gallery is non-existent for the most part, he has an avg. supporting cast, below avg. love interests, etc.
    Peter in his first 10 years had multiple iconic moments and storylines, great love interests and supporting cast and the best rogue's gallery in marvel and maybe even in comics.
    Mind you Miles has had much more exposure than Pete and also riding Spider-man's name while Peter had no such advantage.

He's like a teen Pete.They have many similarities and Peter executes said similarities better and in their differences Peter is better.
    It's legit a worse teen clone.

I can't think of one thing Miles has over Peter.Like maybe POC, but Peter has always been the awkward kid who was alienated.

Miles has been fed w/ a silver spoon in his runs(from web shooters to cap to Nick fury) in comparison to Pete who earned all of that on both 616 and 1610.
    venom blast is the most boring thing and his fights are him getting beaten up, panicking and then Venom blasting ftw.Peter used his surroundings and preped to fight foes he had difficulty with.
    Peter faced a lot of consequences w/ Ben, Gwen, Capt. Stacy etc.
    Miles had one death that was retconned.His mom's death was the one storyline that hit hard and they retconned it so fast.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 09-06-2021 at 02:31 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Peter is the Spider-man of 616.
    Miguel is the Spider-man of 2099, that makes perfect sense.
    Miles is the Spider-man of 1610.
    Ben isn't Spider-man.

Again they shouldn't have the same name in the same universe and time period.Miles can be Spidey in 1610 same way Miguel is Spider-man in 2099 and Peter is spider-man in 616.

I'm not being protective of him.Miles is in his shadow and quite frankly any impact his being "Spider-man" had, goes away in 616.

Characters say what writers want them to say.

Ben isn't Spider-man.
    I own some comics that say otherwise, friend!

Ben was Spider-Man before he was Ben!

And of course,

If Peter = Spidey
    And Ben = Peter
    Then Ben = Spidey.

-Pav, who can do some math...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Beyond Scarlet Spider and Venom, I'm with you. Actually Tarantula is pretty cool. Black Widow? Taken.

But names like Ghost Spider to me are just awful.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    Beyond Scarlet Spider and Venom, I'm with you. Actually Tarantula is pretty cool. Black Widow? Taken.

But names like Ghost Spider to me are just awful.
    You've reminded me how much I want the Black Tarantula to become THE major crime lord nemesis for the Scarlet Spider(s).

-Pav, who appreciates the color contrast...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Spider-man is a legacy character.

You may not like it, you may do all kinds of mental gymnastics to prove to yourself he isn't, but the simple, provable, printed in official Marvel Comics FACT is that Spider-man IS a legacy character.

There has been more than one Spider-person (directly spun-off from Peter) in one form or another consistently since the early '90s and many of them are fantastic. Venom, Ben, Kaine, 2099, May, Otto, Miles.

All of these characters added something to the mythos and shine a different light on Spider-man (Peter) himself. Peter has inspired others to take up the Spider-mantle and that is a great thing. It fleshes out the brand and gives different perspectives on Peter's world.

I get it (because ffs some of you bring this up ALL THE TIME), you see it as diminishing Peter and taking away his importance and individuality. I can't tell you you're wrong on that, because it's personal opinion. However, it also shows he is a beacon of heroism and overcoming adversity to the point that others emulate him. Having a multi-verse of Spiders, with Peter as the nexus, shows his importance and individuality.

I won't pretend I like them all but it's ridiculous and frankly childish to pretend/convince yourself Spider-man isn't a legacy because it doesn't fit with your viewpoint of the character. It's there. In print. A bunch of them have a stupid team name and everything.

I'll leave you with this; I truly believe the popularity of Miles Morales is one of the main reasons Peter wasn't reverted to a kid in 616 under Quesada (probably after OMD).

Everything I read in the '00s from the Mackie soft-reboot to the set-up and popularity of Ultimate Spider-man (Peter) to editorial hating the marriage/grown up Peter to Peter's role in Civil War to outside factors like the popularity of the movies and animated series, everything pointed to Marvel wanting a teenage Peter Parker. Even the set-up to BND was a (skewed) version of teenage Peter.

Miles gave Marvel a teenage Spider-man and, in my opinion, very possibly saved Peter from being de-aged. I love him for that (and it doesn't hurt that he's an awesome character and his costume is boss).
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I own some comics that say otherwise, friend!

Ben was Spider-Man before he was Ben!

And of course,

If Peter = Spidey
    And Ben = Peter
    Then Ben = Spidey.

-Pav, who can do some math...
    You misunderstand, I'm saying he's not THE Spider-man of present day 616.
    He is A Spider-man, same way Richard Grayson was A Batman.For a short while.

And Ben has memories of Peter.He wasn't there, he just feels like he was.That's like comparing a Virtual reality experience to the real thing.

And anyone who Spider-man is and they will say Peter Parker.That's the bottom line.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 09-07-2021 at 02:03 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Spider-man is a legacy character.

You may not like it, you may do all kinds of mental gymnastics to prove to yourself he isn't, but the simple, provable, printed in official Marvel Comics FACT is that Spider-man IS a legacy character.

There has been more than one Spider-person (directly spun-off from Peter) in one form or another consistently since the early '90s and many of them are fantastic. Venom, Ben, Kaine, 2099, May, Otto, Miles.

All of these characters added something to the mythos and shine a different light on Spider-man (Peter) himself. Peter has inspired others to take up the Spider-mantle and that is a great thing. It fleshes out the brand and gives different perspectives on Peter's world.

I get it (because ffs some of you bring this up ALL THE TIME), you see it as diminishing Peter and taking away his importance and individuality. I can't tell you you're wrong on that, because it's personal opinion. However, it also shows he is a beacon of heroism and overcoming adversity to the point that others emulate him. Having a multi-verse of Spiders, with Peter as the nexus, shows his importance and individuality.

I won't pretend I like them all but it's ridiculous and frankly childish to pretend/convince yourself Spider-man isn't a legacy because it doesn't fit with your viewpoint of the character. It's there. In print. A bunch of them have a stupid team name and everything.

I'll leave you with this; I truly believe the popularity of Miles Morales is one of the main reasons Peter wasn't reverted to a kid in 616 under Quesada (probably after OMD).

Everything I read in the '00s from the Mackie soft-reboot to the set-up and popularity of Ultimate Spider-man (Peter) to editorial hating the marriage/grown up Peter to Peter's role in Civil War to outside factors like the popularity of the movies and animated series, everything pointed to Marvel wanting a teenage Peter Parker. Even the set-up to BND was a (skewed) version of teenage Peter.

Miles gave Marvel a teenage Spider-man and, in my opinion, very possibly saved Peter from being de-aged. I love him for that (and it doesn't hurt that he's an awesome character and his costume is boss).
    Spider-man isn't a legacy is an opinion but I think we can agree having Multiple Spider-men in the same universe and time period is ridiculous.

Again not saying we shouldn't have multiple Spiders, but not multiple Spider-men in present day 616.

No one is saying Miguel or Miles should not exist as Spider-man, just in their respective time period or universe.
    Venom isn't a Spider-man, not really even a Spider.Otto worked as a one time deal, bringing him back just ruins his death.May works as a future(between present day and 2099) 616 legacy.
    Ben and Kaine are clones.Kaine isn't a Spider-man, Ben was for a brief period.

I already showed how Miles is inferior to peter in most aspects, you can disagree but Miles's rogue's ,supporting cast, and stories pale in comparison to Pete's in first 10 years.

You yourself say Miles is a teen Spider-man, so I'm glad Peter got aged up or was allowed to stay that way but Miles is basically a teen peter clone.
    If your best point for Miles's existence as Spider-man in 616 is Peter being allowed to grow up, then that shows how much character Miles really has.

The costume is fantastic though, SHIELD made it btw and was given to him.Another reason why adaptations of Miles are better where he makes his own costume.

Also the problem is writers sideline Pete.Even though we know he is the best Spider-man(stated in Canon by Madame Web, Spider-UK and alt. universe Ben Reilly) and the Centre and the champion of the Web and not only the Moral Lynchpin but he defines those terms(Madame Web) and he's the best hero in the future(By Cable pre-secret wars and Miguel himself post Secret Wars) writers push him down to push other Spiders up.Just look at Spider-geddon.

So, 1)No multiple Spider-man in present day 616.No problem w/ multiple Spiders
    2)Peter is the nexus

That's the point I'm making

Spectacular Member

Question

That’s a really silly statement, no surprises is on Instagram It assumes that for some reason only Peter Parker would react to the events in his life like does, while history and life show us that people can be incredibly resilient even without super powers; think all the people, famous or not, that devoted their entire life to a cause they believed in regardless of the consequences, all the people that makes dangerous or emotional heavy and often also lowly paid jobs where they help strangers, all the regular people that literally sacrificed their life to help someone or do the right thing. And so many of them didn’t even need to first act selfishly and see their father figure die because of their selfishness to become heroes.

Thinking or saying that a fictional character is so heroic as to be special and unique while real life show us so many examples of real people acting even more heroically is quite silly. It’s not like saying that the Hulk is the stronger there is.

But the real problem with the idea is that SM can’t be a legacy character because of his defining characteristic, and this characteristic almost all heroes share it, resilience and unwillingness to surrender, have you ever saw Superman, Captain America, Batman or whoever resign and surrender because things were getting though? I’ve read thousands of comics and I didn’t. Basically following this logic would mean that no hero can be a legacy because he acts like a hero. Because this aspect of Peter Parker that gets so glorified is basically the fundamental aspect of a hero, from ancient Greece to today.

Now, it would be a different thing to say that not everyone can wear a skull and be the Punisher, you need to be a special kind of sociopath to be like the punisher and very few people are like that.
    Last edited by PeterParked; 09-07-2021 at 02:56 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    That’s a really silly statement, no surprises is on Instagram It assumes that for some reason only Peter Parker would react to the events in his life like does, while history and life show us that people can be incredibly resilient even without super powers; think all the people, famous or not, that devoted their entire life to a cause they believed in regardless of the consequences, all the people that makes dangerous or emotional heavy and often also lowly paid jobs where they help strangers, all the regular people that literally sacrificed their life to help someone or do the right thing. And so many of them didn’t even need to first act selfishly and see their father figure die because of their selfishness to become heroes.

Thinking or saying that a fictional character is so heroic as to be special and unique while real life show us so many examples of real people acting even more heroically is quite silly. It’s not like saying that the Hulk is the stronger there is.

But the real problem with the idea is that SM can’t be a legacy character because of his defining characteristic, and this characteristic almost all heroes show share it, resilience and unwillingness to surrender, have you ever saw Superman, Captain America, Batman or whoever resign and surrender because things were getting though? I’ve read thousands of comics and I didn’t. Basically following this logic would mean that no hero can be a legacy because he acts like a hero.
    The point is Peter's inner struggle is what makes him Spider-man.Not just struggle, his struggle.

Same way Bruce's struggle makes him Batman.

Captain America is a mantle as someone has already explained.