Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mighty Member

It's perfectly fine and good for Peter to inspire others to be heroes, but do they have to take his identity/image/likeness/symbol to do it? Is it so hard to create your own unique identity and be your own person, do you need to copy/steal another's identity. Not every hero identity needs to be seen as a mantle to be appropriated or handed down. It just highlights a laziness in comics where instead of creating unique heroes with their own identity they just leech off an existing popular hero to boost the new one, often to mixed or negative results. And finally not every hero needs to have a "family", the batfamily is one thing, though that has gotten out of hand; but was a spider family a thing that was needed. At any rate its a moot point, what's done is done. The best one can hope for is that Peter is not screwed over or thrown under the bus for the benefit of others like Batman regularly is.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    It's perfectly fine and good for Peter to inspire others to be heroes, but do they have to take his identity/image/likeness/symbol to do it? Is it so hard to create your own unique identity and be your own person, do you need to copy/steal another's identity. Not every hero identity needs to be seen as a mantle to be appropriated or handed down. It just highlights a laziness in comics where instead of creating unique heroes with their own identity they just leech off an existing popular hero to boost the new one, often to mixed or negative results. And finally not every hero needs to have a "family", the batfamily is one thing, though that has gotten out of hand; but was a spider family a thing that was needed. At any rate its a moot point, what's done is done. The best one can hope for is that Peter is not screwed over or thrown under the bus for the benefit of others like Batman regularly is.
    Thank you.
    Superman inspired Nightwing as well, that's the kind of thing Peter works well with imo.
    And remember the issue where everyone dressed as Spider-man to protect his identity, that's how Spider-man inspires everyone.Or the scene in SM1 where everyone the bridge throw stuff at goblin to get Spidey time to save the kids and MJ.That's the real meaning of anyone can wear the mask.That's inspiring stuff.
    Miles needs a nightwing moment.Miles in 1610 as Spidey makes sense because their was a void he was trying to fulfill.Also why Miguel and may makes sense.
    But Like Richard, Miles needs to step out of Spider-man and be his own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    but was a spider family a thing that was needed.
    Is Spider-Man a thing that was needed?

I'm reminded of an idea from Buddhist thinking that I quite like: “Don’t keep searching for the truth, just let go of your opinions.”

-Pav, who is working on it...
    Last edited by Pav; 09-07-2021 at 08:22 AM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Is Spider-Man a thing that was needed?

I'm reminder of an idea from Buddhist thinking that I quite like: “Don’t keep searching for the truth, just let go of your opinions.”

-Pav, who is working on it...
    Spider-man is a great comic book character, I think we can all agree.
    The Spider-family is full of unnecessary characters and characters being ignored and sidelined for new characters that get ignored and sidelined and the cycle goes one.It also goes against the grain of what Spider-man is.

Spider-family has many negatives specially on the character who they owe there existence too.Spider-man hasn't really done much negative, but has a lot of positives.
    Not to say it doesn't have it's positives.But they need to do a much better job at executing this fam if they want it, problems already stated in the thread.

-Spiderfan, who hopes Spider-man gets his groove back and soon

Extraordinary Member

I've never understood the need some feel to get rid of certain characters because they feel they "diminish" other characters. Just don't read the characters you're not interested in. Skip crossovers they're a part of or guest appearances from them. Stephanie Brown (Spoiler) has been one of my least favorite characters from the Bat Family for years yet somehow I've been able to get by just fine. It's really as simple as that.

I remember they actually addressed this once in the Flash books a number of years ago. It was when the evil speedster Savitar was first introduced and he was complaining about the same thing because of Impulse, XS, Jesse Quick, etc. He sounded like a crazy person.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I've never understood the need some feel to get rid of certain characters because they feel they "diminish" other characters. Just don't read the characters you're not interested in. Skip crossovers they're a part of or guest appearances from them. Stephanie Brown (Spoiler) has been one of my least favorite characters from the Bat Family for years yet somehow I've been able to get by just fine. It's really as simple as that.

I remember they actually addressed this once in the Flash books a number of years ago. It was when the evil speedster Savitar was first introduced and he was complaining about the same thing because of Impulse, XS, Jesse Quick, etc. He sounded like a crazy person.
    Bat-fam is an actual thing and makes sense.Spider-man fam not so much.
    I don't get why people compare multiple Spiders(and Spider-mans ) to Batman and Captain America.It's completely different

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I don't get why people compare multiple Spiders(and Spider-mans ) to Batman and Captain America.It's completely different
    exactly the order of the spider nonsense isn't needed

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krec99 View Post
    exactly the order of the spider nonsense isn't needed
    Neither are multiple Robins, Batgirls, Wonder Girls, or Superboys, but here we are.

Maybe. But it also doesn't mean people don't find enjoyment in them. Why would you want to take away someone's enjoyment?
    Last edited by phonogram12; 09-08-2021 at 11:55 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

This ship has sailed.

You can't walk back Miles Morales. So that makes Spider-Man a legacy character.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This ship has sailed.

Again, his existence doesn't make Spidey a legacy character.He's an alt. universe staying character in 616, same as Spider-Gwen.
    And it's a hypothetical, Marvel is pushing for it, has been for a while now.The point is he's not one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This ship has sailed.

Exactly. The success of Into the Spiderverse and Miles Morales PS5 easily makes him the most successful spider spin-off character in the mainstream. Which makes him the most likely to actually stick around and continue to gain prominence over time. Miles was the right character at the right time and like it or not he and the other spider spin-off characters have played larger and larger roles in outside adaptations and are catching on more and more with people growing up with those versions.

I actually think the comic side is messing up by keeping 616 Miles and Peter as separate as they are. I kind of think the PS4 game has it right in this regard. I grew up during the JMS era and I have a lot of fondness for Peter in a teacher/mentor role. Honestly, Peter has been written as a bit immature for my tastes for a number of years now and I can see having Miles stepping up a bit more in the main book allowing us to have a slightly more mature Peter again while allowing the writers to lean on Miles for the teen drama elements a bit more. Also, due to Miles' success in other media, it would make it apparent that Miles has real staying power and wouldn't just be killed off at the end of the run to give Peter more trauma. It could be a legitimately new dynamic for the book and would open up new story possibilities without having to retcon, rehash, break up Peter and MJ, or write Peter as less intelligent as he should be. I get why people don't want to take away from Spiderman's uniqueness or status as more of an outcast but we're at the point where Peter has grown further away from that and we've already passed the point of introducing Miles and the others into the 616 already. Why not try to do something interesting and new with them?

tl;dr: I'd totally be down to a Peter/Miles mentor/student team-up run on ASM to see what it would look like. It's gotta beat continuing to watch manchild Peter continue to drown in his own messy continuity.

Again, his existence doesn't make Spidey a legacy character.He's an alt. universe staying character in 616, same as Spider-Gwen.
    And it's a hypothetical, Marvel is pushing for it, has been for a while now.The point is he's not one.
    Still, his origin is tied closely to a dead Spider-Man, so in a way... It does.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    Still, his origin is tied closely to a dead Spider-Man, so in a way... It does.
    Again no one is saying there can't be multiple Spiders in present 616 or Spider-mans/men in Futures and Alt. realities.
    I guess my point is they focus on the legacy stuff way too much, like the "Spider-fam" or Order of the Web as it's called now should not be a thing, it's not a bat-fam.
    It should be ITSV type team ups.And no same names in present 616 as discussed earlier.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sneezing_Stormtrooper View Post
    Exactly. The success of Into the Spiderverse and Miles Morales PS5 easily makes him the most successful spider spin-off character in the mainstream. Which makes him the most likely to actually stick around and continue to gain prominence over time. Miles was the right character at the right time and like it or not he and the other spider spin-off characters have played larger and larger roles in outside adaptations and are catching on more and more with people growing up with those versions.

I actually think the comic side is messing up by keeping 616 Miles and Peter as separate as they are. I kind of think the PS4 game has it right in this regard. I grew up during the JMS era and I have a lot of fondness for Peter in a teacher/mentor role. Honestly, Peter has been written as a bit immature for my tastes for a number of years now and I can see having Miles stepping up a bit more in the main book allowing us to have a slightly more mature Peter again while allowing the writers to lean on Miles for the teen drama elements a bit more. Also, due to Miles' success in other media, it would make it apparent that Miles has real staying power and wouldn't just be killed off at the end of the run to give Peter more trauma. It could be a legitimately new dynamic for the book and would open up new story possibilities without having to retcon, rehash, break up Peter and MJ, or write Peter as less intelligent as he should be. I get why people don't want to take away from Spiderman's uniqueness or status as more of an outcast but we're at the point where Peter has grown further away from that and we've already passed the point of introducing Miles and the others into the 616 already. Why not try to do something interesting and new with them?

tl;dr: I'd totally be down to a Peter/Miles mentor/student team-up run on ASM to see what it would look like. It's gotta beat continuing to watch manchild Peter continue to drown in his own messy continuity.
    They don't though, commit to the thing at all.They always downplay and nerf Peter to prop Miles, from their team-ups in Spider-men to the recent clone saga thing.
    Have Miles do a nightwing style split, he isn't a robin.They still train and he still mentors him from time to time, but both are their own thing.He can still be a Spider if he wants, if not that's cool too.

They don't though, commit to the thing at all.They always downplay and nerf Peter to prop Miles, from their team-ups in Spider-men to the recent clone saga thing.
    Have Miles do a nightwing style split, he isn't a robin.They still train and he still mentors him from time to time, but both are their own thing.He can still be a Spider if he wants, if not that's cool too.
    I think that Miles is too well known as a "Spider-man" to really backtrack on the name at this point to be honest. I don't really mind either way and I'd be cool if they changed it but I just don't really see it happening at this point.

I totally agree and I'm not a fan of the way their 616 relationship has been written so far and I think that Marvel fails to take advantage of what their relationship could be but I also think that there is untapped potential there for both characters to play off each other in a more central way and all it would take is the right writer to pull it off.