Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Absolutely not. Miles is more than capable of carrying on the legacy.
    But maybe not Amazing Spider-Man because I feel like that's for characters more associated with Peter's world and supporting cast.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But maybe not Amazing Spider-Man because I feel like that's for characters more associated with Peter's world and supporting cast.
    Agreed.ASM is Peter's title

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Absolutely not. Miles is more than capable of carrying on the legacy.
    Yeah no.Miles already got his "og dies and I step up" thing, it was his origin.When Peter tells miles he's glad that if something happens to him Miles is there to step up, Miles says he's already stepped up.
    Repeating his origin in 616 is a horrible Idea, and if Spider-man dies ,thats the end of ASM.

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

I know I might be in the minority but I don’t think Miles would be a good Spider-Man to carry Pete’s legacy.

I used to love Miles in the first Ultimate Comics Spider-Man issues, I loved that shy boy trying to figure what to do with these powers and then slowly finding his way but I don’t think he’s still this character. These days, all I see is an empty shell who’s always changing and the only consistent thing is how superior he is as a Spider-Man :

- Green Goblin ? Don’t worry, he as Venom Strike.
    - Fighting to save the Multiverse ? Don’t worry, he will beat Kingpin even if he has no training.
    - Battling Morlun’s family ? He will lead more experienced Spideys and will gain the Enigma Force, which was useless in the first Spider Verse story.
    - exploding and falling from the sky ? Few seconds later, he’s already web swinging.

Miles needs to take his distance with Peter. As long as he is near him, he will always be the kid who’s better than Peter Parker. Which is a shame because I think he’s the coolest Spider-Man we ever had and his supporting cast has so much potential.

I don’t know who would be the best Spidey to carry this legacy but we need someone who chose to be Spider-Man for specific and interesting reasons. Not someone who tries to emulate the original Spidey and/or try to surpass him in every possible way.

Maybe Miguel or Gabri O’Hara.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    I know I might be in the minority but I don’t think Miles would be a good Spider-Man to carry Pete’s legacy.

I used to love Miles in the first Ultimate Comics Spider-Man issues, I loved that shy boy trying to figure what to do with these powers and then slowly finding his way but I don’t think he’s still this character. These days, all I see is an empty shell who’s always changing and the only consistent thing is how superior he is as a Spider-Man :

- Fighting to save the Multiverse ? Don’t worry, he will beat Kingpin even if he has no training.
    - Battling Morlun’s family ? He will lead more experienced Spideys and will gain the Enigma Force, which was useless in the first Spider Verse story.
    - exploding and falling from the sky ? Few seconds later, he’s already web swinging.

Miles needs to take his distance with Peter. As long as he is near him, he will always be the kid who’s better than Peter Parker. Which is a shame because I think he’s the coolest Spider-Man we ever had and his supporting cast has so much potential.

I don’t know who would be the best Spidey to carry this legacy but we need someone who chose to be Spider-Man for specific and interesting reasons. Not someone who tries to emulate the original Spidey and/or try to surpass him in every possible way.

The thing is, he's not better than Peter.Specially not 616, it's that the writers who write Miles(who have mostly been BMB) have a major Miles bias.

When teaming up w/Miles
    1)Peter has gotten taken by surprise by him even though he has shown to be much better than that
    2)Peter's web suddenly conduct electricity even though Peter had upgraded his webs to not.Also we doesn't change his style once he learns he is facing someone w/ that.
    3)Peter can't hit a standing still TaskMaster and misses and hit's Miles, PIS but to make Miles look better
    4)Even w/ Ahmed, he sparred a Pete vs Miles holding back as equals.Peter has trained to fight w/out Spider-sense and specifically against other Spiders.Miles would go down in seconds, it's not even close.He uses nerve clusters, and training from Shang Chi, Captain America and his bullying experiences combined w/ powers to make the style his own.
    Moreover he is better at using web shooters, can create stuff like parachutes from the early days which Miles has stated he cannot.Also Peter has many more types of webs on him.

Also 1)Miles takes out goblin w/Venom Blast when Peter returns.This was a pretty horrible move via BMB
    2)He gains the enigma force when he taunts it IIRC, again it has kinda lost it's meaning choosing hosts randomly for a while but still
    3)He leads Spidey's against Inheritors, I'm not mad though.That event was complete trash and Peter vs Morlun written by Chip was way better.

Peter is not only physically superior, he is also vastly superior in smarts and skill.Moreover he is the centre of the web, the champion and the best Spider in the multiverse said by Madame Webb multiple times,Spider-Uk and Alt. universe Ben Reilly.
    Cable has stated he is the best superhero pre secret wars and Miguel himself states so post secret wars when Miles was in 616.

I agree, they need someone w/ a different take on Spidey .Miles ain't it, he works as an alt. reality legacy as portrayed in ITSV.

I'd say Miguel, or Mayday.

Extraordinary Member

A very detailed post on Miles w/ good criticism
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CTtKcfRr0j8/

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    A very detailed post on Miles w/ good criticism
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CTtKcfRr0j8/
    Not sure why everyone's beating around the bush in threads like these. When anyone ever talks about Spider-man not being a legacy, they're never talking about Miguel, Ben, Mayday, Annie, Gerry, SpOck, Hobie, or even Kraven. 'The problem with Spider-man and Legacies' conversation didn't even exist some 6 years ago. The problem has always been with Miles. He's like become this weird 'Lost Cause Fallacy' for Spider-man of all things. I read the 1st slide and thought it was kinda bunk. Miles' motivation has always been "The coward turned Hero" and "The man between worlds" Comics wise his motivations haven't changed from his Ultimate days, because he's still the same Miles from that universe. ITSV also maintains those same core themes. The only times it wasn't used was the 2017 Spider-man cartoon, and the PS4 game. Both of those outfits had Miles sort of functioning as a sidekick to Parker. At least on the insomni-verse side someone smart must've been paying attention because they immediately corrected it for the Spider-man: Miles Morales outing. It worked well for Peter as it gave him a slightly new angle, but from Miles' perspective it's some of the weakest adaptations that he's ever had.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dron View Post
    Not sure why everyone's beating around the bush in threads like these. When anyone ever talks about Spider-man not being a legacy, they're never talking about Miguel, Ben, Mayday, Annie, Gerry, SpOck, Hobie, or even Kraven. 'The problem with Spider-man and Legacies' conversation didn't even exist some 6 years ago. The problem has always been with Miles. He's like become this weird 'Lost Cause Fallacy' for Spider-man of all things. I read the 1st slide and thought it was kinda bunk. Miles' motivation has always been "The coward turned Hero" and "The man between worlds" Comics wise his motivations haven't changed from his Ultimate days, because he's still the same Miles from that universe. ITSV also maintains those same core themes. The only times it wasn't used was the 2017 Spider-man cartoon, and the PS4 game. Both of those outfits had Miles sort of functioning as a sidekick to Parker. At least on the insomni-verse side someone smart must've been paying attention because they immediately corrected it for the Spider-man: Miles Morales outing. It worked well for Peter as it gave him a slightly new angle, but from Miles' perspective it's some of the weakest adaptations that he's ever had.
    Because Miles is presented as his legacy in comics.Not any of the others.
    Insomniac game is weak?We must be talking about different games because Miles in insomniac is Miles better than anything he has in comics.
    And ITSV only works as a multiverse thing, if Miles stayed w/ Peter it would be much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dron View Post
    they're never talking about Miguel, Ben, Mayday, Annie, Gerry, SpOck, Hobie, or even Kraven. 'The problem with Spider-man and Legacies' conversation didn't even exist some 6 years ago.
    7 years ago, each Spider was still in its own universe. Then Spider Verse became a thing and we were given a Spider-Gwen, then Secret Wars happened and Miles became the second official Spider-Man of 616, before Gwen came to join the party.

It’s really weird for me either to see these conversations because, as DC fan, I LOVE legacy characters, but I don’t why I feel like it’s a bit too much with Spidey while I have no problem with literally dozen of Flash running side by side.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I would love to see more of Mayday and Miguel. But, let’s be honest, they both are an easy solution. Mayday is Parker’s daughter and both of them live in a distant future and/or a parallel Earth. Same with Annie.

Ben and Kaine are clones and Parkers with some differences so I don’t think they should be Peter’s successor. Just like the others, it’s too easy.

As for Kraven and SpOck, we all know it was meant to be temporary. I won’t mention Gwen and Anya because I still don’t understand why and how they’re still in the game.

I feel like a true and direct legacy character is still missing. A Wally West-like character who loves Spidey, wants to be Spidey and his successor for good, interesting and specific reasons. I really want to see someone who tries really hard for that to happen before he/she eventually becomes that new Spidey.

I hope this conversation won’t become an anti-Miles thread because my least post wasn’t meant to bash this character.

I feel like a true and direct legacy character is still missing. A Wally West-like character who loves Spidey, wants to be Spidey and his successor for good, interesting and specific reasons. I really want to see someone who tries really hard for that to happen before he/she eventually becomes that new Spidey.
    That's basically Insomniac Miles.

Extraordinary Member

7 years ago, each Spider was still in its own universe. Then Spider Verse became a thing and we were given a Spider-Gwen, then Secret Wars happened and Miles became the second official Spider-Man of 616, before Gwen came to join the party.

It’s really weird for me either to see these conversations because, as DC fan, I LOVE legacy characters, but I don’t why I feel like it’s a bit too much with Spidey while I have no problem with literally dozen of Flash running side by side.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I would love to see more of Mayday and Miguel. But, let’s be honest, they both are an easy solution. Mayday is Parker’s daughter and both of them live in a distant future and/or a parallel Earth. Same with Annie.

Ben and Kaine are clones and Parkers with some differences so I don’t think they should be Peter’s successor. Just like the others, it’s too easy.

As for Kraven and SpOck, we all know it was meant to be temporary. I won’t mention Gwen and Anya because I still don’t understand why and how they’re still in the game.

I hope this conversation won’t become an anti-Miles thread because my least post wasn’t meant to bash this character.
    Great post.Not my intention as well.
    It mostly goes that way because is Miles is justified as being the best of the characters when that's not the case(imo).
    Many people talk ITSV and Insomniac as well, when the discussion is about comic Miles.
    So you have to post stuff showing comics Miles is different and not on the level of the other ones.

As for true legacy, I don't think we need one.Insomniac Miles is that but I don't think we need it in 616.Spider-man isn't a legacy character and the classic legacy format should not be forced on him, Miguel and Mayday work as legacy's in different times.Having 2 Spider-man in the 616 present and specially in the same city is a massive no.Specially for how Marvel handles legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's basically Insomniac Miles.
    Glad to see I’m not the only one who thinks he’s a Wally West in disguise … which should explain why he’s my favorite version of Miles.

I’d love to see something like this in 616. I don’t know if Pete needs a sidekick or if it could really work (I mean, we all remember Alpha …) but I’d be really interested to see a writer playing with this idea.

Spider-Man wasn’t built or meant to be a legacy character, but he is one now. Main reason why is Marvel realized that they can sell multiple versions of their most popular character to different audiences: Miles to the black audience, Gwen to the female audience (should be Mayday but I digress). Because of that, and because Marvel hasn’t really bothered to establish other universes as “valid” outside of 616 since the Ultimate Universe died, these Spider variants aren’t going anywhere. Miles for example is going to be co-Spider-Man in everything going forward, I doubt we’ll ever get any Spider-Man media where he doesn’t make an appearance. I’m sure he will show up in the MCU since his uncle was already established to exist.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Spider-Man wasn’t built or meant to be a legacy character, but he is one now. Main reason why is Marvel realized that they can sell multiple versions of their most popular character to different audiences: Miles to the black audience, Gwen to the female audience (should be Mayday but I digress). Because of that, and because Marvel hasn’t really bothered to establish other universes as “valid” outside of 616 since the Ultimate Universe died, these Spider variants aren’t going anywhere. Miles for example is going to be co-Spider-Man in everything going forward, I doubt we’ll ever get any Spider-Man media where he doesn’t make an appearance. I’m sure he will show up in the MCU since his uncle was already established to exist.
    I think the issue is less the legacy aspect so much as the co-Spider-Man aspect, because it doesn't seem like they've quite figured out how to work all these characters who were designed with independent narratives and solo stories have to work when stuck together. This was a major issue in the last Spider-Man cartoon in my opinion.

Like, with Miles, the most natural way to work him into Peter's narrative is turn him into a protege type character which is what the Insomniac games did but that wasn't what he was designed to be and they immediately wrote Peter out so Miles could be his own Spider-Man in his solo game. Now they seem set to be trying to put them together as co-leads in the next Spider-Man game but we haven't seen how that will work in the game's story and gameplay.

They probably have to be really careful not to shortchange Miles like he has been whenever he's appeared in other works where Peter was the main character. Works where he wasn't even allowed to be called Spider-Man.

That's the problem with legacy characters, that Marvel introduces as a replacement. I like Miles, and I liked him most on the Ultimate universe. In 616 they constantly need to wave him in front of us and scream "LOOK! HE IS MORE CAPABLE THAN PETER, HE HAS MORE POWERS", to uphold his status as the successor to Peter.

It's kinda like it was with Ben, when he fought Venom in the 90's and won. Peter couldn't do it, but Ben? Yeah, he could. He's legit.

That's why Miles will always seem to me a bit like Gary Stu/Mary Sue. Him being a Spider-Man is more important, than Miles Morales, and everybody knows, that Spider-Man is the person inside the costume, not mask itself.

Just look at X23 - she wasn't introduced as Wolverine's replacement, and over the years - she became like a daughter to him, a worthy successor of his legacy. It was a natural progression for the character, when she jumped into costume and became the all-new Wolverine.