View Poll Results: So... whose your fave/faves?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marvell: Captain Marvel I

33 32.67%
  • Monica Rambeau: Captain Marvel II

52 51.49%
  • Carol Danvers: Captain Marvel III (Marvell's cousin)

16 15.84%
  • None. I don't care.

4 3.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    It just dawn on me, Monica is John Stewart and Carol is Hal Jordan.
    That would make Mar-Vell Abin Sur, and Genis-Vell Guy Gardner? I can see Phy-la as Jessica Cruz, so who would be Kyle Rayner? Noh-Varr?

Peace

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Since Marvel is so fond of synergy with its movies, they should just cancel Carol's ongoing and launch Captains Marvel with Monica and Carol -- in the Alex Ross outfits. Will never happen, but they need to lose the blue/red/gold military garb -- and give Carol a fresh look and fresh start. Don't try to distance her from Mar-Vell, because without him there would be no Carol Danvers or Captain Marvels.
    Do comic Carol and Monica even know each other?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    It just dawn on me, Monica is John Stewart and Carol is Hal Jordan.
    Hmmm? I don't know. Let me think about that. Let's see...

* Alan Scott = Mar-Vell (The firsts.)

* Hal Jordan = Monica (i.e., the first two humans from "mainstream" Earth to receive the names, if not the mantle entirely)

* Guy Gardner = Genis-Vell (both fall under "natural right to assume the mantle" argument as Guy was the other person that the ring chose before it went to Hal, who was closer in proximity)

* John Stewart = Phyla-Vell (groundbreaking minority group representatives from their respective publishing houses)

* Every other remaining Green Lantern of Earth = Every other remaining Captain Marvel, including Carol/Car-Ell.

Sorry if it seems like I'm copping out here, but that's as far as my GL knowledge goes. I'm sure someone can make it work, but I'm not as familiar with Rayner and the others. Plus, given how they've reimagined Car-Ell's origin, we'd probably have an easier time of drawing parallels between her and Supergirl.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 09-15-2021 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Yes, for some time now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Invincible Member

They met shortly after Monica first joined the Avengers, but there weren't besties. Monica guest starred in Kelly Sue's run on CM. It was suggested there that they'd since grown closer, but it hasn't been shown much otherwise.

Edit: Oh! I forgot about them being on the same team in The Ultimates.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    They met shortly after Monica first joined the Avengers, but there weren't besties. Monica guest starred in Kelly Sue's run on CM. It was suggested there that they'd since grown closer, but it hasn't been shown much otherwise.

Edit: Oh! I forgot about them being on the same team in The Ultimates.
    If memory serves, they were also on the main Avengers team at the same time at one point. Back during Carol's alcoholic storyline.

And yes, they're supposed to be best friends or something like that. They referenced it back when Monica and Carol discussed Carol taking the Captain Marvel name without first checking with "her girl". Marvel continues to paint them as bff's or something like that, but you can tell Monica isn't completely cool with Carol by the subtle digs she takes. But it wouldn't be the first time that friends and even family didn't trust someone 100%, despite the love.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    If memory serves, they were also on the main Avengers team at the same time at one point. Back during Carol's alcoholic storyline.
    No, Monica was not an active member during that period -- although she did get called in to help out on a number of occasions when they needed to call in back-up from the reserves. We didn't see a lot of Carol/Monica interaction at that time though.

They had worked together for a bit during the "Starblast" crossover event in the 90s, where Carol and Monica were both among several heroes who were pulled together into an ad-hoc team to help Quasar deal with an alien attack. Carol and Monica were shown to get along well there, and were already on a first name basis with each other despite having barely met before. It seems that the two women hit it off very quickly and easily, but most of the building of their friendship has been off-panel until recently.

And yes, they're supposed to be best friends or something like that. They referenced it back when Monica and Carol discussed Carol taking the Captain Marvel name without first checking with "her girl". Marvel continues to paint them as bff's or something like that, but you can tell Monica isn't completely cool with Carol by the subtle digs she takes. But it wouldn't be the first time that friends and even family didn't trust someone 100%, despite the love.
    "Best friends" is probably an overstatement. The two Jessicas (Jones and Drew) are typically portrayed as Carol's best friends--but Monica is definitely shown among her circle of closest friends. I'd suggest that Monica's comments to Carol are more a matter of banter and playful teasing between friends than actual digs.

BANNED

in busiekvengers monica was a reservist, but under doomsdayman's orders the wrecking crew captured monica because she held the marvel name at some point and they were too stupid to be able to tell the difference between carol and monica. They didn't interact outside of that.

Starblast had monica leading the team with carol in it. And there was a nextwave themed hulks tie in where the "multiple names" joke between the two was born, which was then reused in the KSD CM run.

Past that point we know its the ultimates where carol recruited monica, and they seem to hang out more now.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Carol meets Monica in Marvel Fanfare #24 which is when she found out Mar-Vell died.

"Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    No, Monica was not an active member during that period -- although she did get called in to help out on a number of occasions when they needed to call in back-up from the reserves. We didn't see a lot of Carol/Monica interaction at that time though.
    Yes, I was thinking of the Busiek/Perez Avengers return when they featured a bunch of the Avengers battling Morgan le Fay, including Carol as Binary and Monica as Photon. You're right, not much interaction between the two during those issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 09-16-2021 at 11:29 PM.

BANNED

Of them all? Billy Batson, no contest. If I have to settle for Marvel IP/trademark squatters? I'd rank them Mar-Vell, Genis-Vell, Monica Rambeau, then a toss-up/don't care between Phylla and Danvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Why are Genis and Phyla not included?
    Yeah, especially if the poll is going to number the characters sequentially (CM1, CM2, CM3) like that.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I counted 11 votes for PADs Cap. To include him since he was mentioned so much here.

Monica: 51
    OG: 33
    Danvers: 13

Looks like PADs only got two less votes than Carol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    That would make Mar-Vell Abin Sur, and Genis-Vell Guy Gardner? I can see Phy-la as Jessica Cruz, so who would be Kyle Rayner? Noh-Varr?

Peace
    Hmmm? I don't know. Let me think about that. Let's see...

* Alan Scott = Mar-Vell (The firsts.)

* Hal Jordan = Monica (i.e., the first two humans from "mainstream" Earth to receive the names, if not the mantle entirely)

* Guy Gardner = Genis-Vell (both fall under "natural right to assume the mantle" argument as Guy was the other person that the ring chose before it went to Hal, who was closer in proximity)

* John Stewart = Phyla-Vell (groundbreaking minority group representatives from their respective publishing houses)

* Every other remaining Green Lantern of Earth = Every other remaining Captain Marvel, including Carol/Car-Ell.

Sorry if it seems like I'm copping out here, but that's as far as my GL knowledge goes. I'm sure someone can make it work, but I'm not as familiar with Rayner and the others. Plus, given how they've reimagined Car-Ell's origin, we'd probably have an easier time of drawing parallels between her and Supergirl.

I see Genis as more Kyle
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 09-21-2021 at 07:41 PM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

BANNED

The Kyle Rayner character was actually named after a character from James Cameron's film The Terminator