View Poll Results: So... whose your fave/faves?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marvell: Captain Marvel I

33 32.67%
  • Monica Rambeau: Captain Marvel II

52 51.49%
  • Carol Danvers: Captain Marvel III (Marvell's cousin)

16 15.84%
  • None. I don't care.

4 3.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Captain Marvels!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    This is too funny. I Marvel at all of the Marvels!
    Come 2022, the movie going public will also Marvel at all of the Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Speaking of the Captains Marvel...which I find to be a viable concept along the lines of there being multiple Green Lanterns - perhaps giving them a subtitle to differentiate them if they had their own titles (Carol=Captain Marvel:WARBIRD, Monica = Captain Marvel:SPECTRUM, Genis= Captain Marvel:Legacy etc), I never saw these Alex Ross redesigns so titled before looking around inspired by this thread...
    Loved the updated costumes. SO much better than what either of them are wearing nowadays.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Speaking of the Captains Marvel...which I find to be a viable concept along the lines of there being multiple Green Lanterns - perhaps giving them a subtitle to differentiate them if they had their own titles (Carol=Captain Marvel:WARBIRD, Monica = Captain Marvel:SPECTRUM, Genis= Captain Marvel:Legacy etc), I never saw these Alex Ross redesigns so titled before looking around inspired by this thread...

I like these looks
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    I like these looks
    So do I. I especially prefer that outfit Carol has to her other ones and the hair despite me prefering her as Binary. Mon looks great as well.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I must say that I'm surprised that Carol is still in the single digits. I thought she had far more supporters on CBR.
    The big problem with Carol is every time she gets a new writer and series it's like she gets a new personality, new mission, and a new supporting cast. It is like no one really knows how to write the character with any consistency. It does not help the fact that her best book to date was the last Ms. Marvel series. None of her runs as Captain Marvel have been nearly as good.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The big problem with Carol is every time she gets a new writer and series it's like she gets a new personality, new mission, and a new supporting cast. It is like no one really knows how to write the character with any consistency. It does not help the fact that her best book to date was the last Ms. Marvel series. None of her runs as Captain Marvel have been nearly as good.
    I honestly haven't read any of Carol's series since she was Ms. Marvel -- I prefer to see her in a team setting for some reason -- but I wonder if perhaps Marvel editorial is still in that window where it's ok to allow writers to experiment until they stumble onto something that turns into a big seller?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I'd argue her current Captain Marvel run is as good or better than her last MS. MARVEL series.

As for the consistency issue, Brian Reed's MS. MARVEL run was just as inconsistent in that area as the various CM runs, if not moreso. During his 50 issue run changed Carol's direction and mission multiple times, and would add new supporting cast members, start up subplots with them--and then just drop them entirely with either a rushed resolution or no resolution at all. After her experiences in House Of M Carol is determined to be the "best hero" and hires a publicist, Sarah Day, to help her. Sarah is a big part of the first few issues...and then after the first year of the book she basically disappears and Carol's campaign is dropped. Carol is mentoring Arana....oh, nope, we've lost interest in Arana and dropped her. Carol starts a romance with Wonder Man....and then he is suddenly dropped from the book. Their relationship is never referenced again and she is now going on dates with Spider-Man. She had her Lightning Storm task force with Machine Man and Sleepwalker....and then they got dropped. Her SHIELD agent strike team member Agent Sum was revealed to have mysterious abilities as he was hundreds of years old and had a Wolverine-like healing factor....then he disappeared and nothing was ever resolved there. Then there was that whole weird period where something went strange with her powers and she 'died' and then came back split into two people, normal screenwriter "Catherine Donovan", and an uber-aggressive Ms Marvel. Etc, etc.

Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of things in Brian Reed's MS. MARVEL run that I liked a lot--but it also had some big flaws, and his attention deficit disorder when it came to subplots and supporting characters was very frustrating. His biggest screw up though was probably when he brought in Mystique for the Carol-vs-Mystique showdown that readers have been waiting decades for....and then botched it up by focusing more on his fake time-displaced Mar-Vell and resolving his loose plot threads than actually giving the Carol/Mystique feud the attention it deserved.

Astonishing Member

A book is only as good as its supporting cast, and Reed's Ms. Marvel had virtually no supporting cast. As stated by Dermie, there were attempts to add characters, but nothing stuck. I'll give Brian Reed credit for trying, but his run was very uneven.

Ross's design for Captain Marvel showed a reverence for the past and Mar-Vell. That's probably why it wasn't chosen. I think Marvel and the writer were trying to make Carol's version of CM stand on its own, but it really can't. Everything about Carol is tied to Mar-Vell. They should have just admitted it -- and went with her in the Ross outfit -- probably wouldn't have led to better fan response. Also, since the Marvel films came out -- there is less desire, I think, to make uniforms looks like costumes -- and instead make them look more serious, practical (like military uniforms).

But the ship has sailed, and I don't think Captain Marvel will ever be more that a team player character in comics -- despite her success in film.

Fantastic Member

1. Mar-Vell - The original series is my favorite one, Stern was doing a number of things in the first series that was way ahead of it's time. In a lot of ways it felt like a 50's Science Fiction serial and that's what I like in comics.
    2. Noh-Varr - I'm sure if I read his later work I would be disappointed, but between the mini's and his Thunderbolts run I'd give him a slight edge over
    3. Monica - This is pretty much just for Nextwave not a big fan of her as an Avenger
    4. Genis-Vell - I get Noh-Varr not making the poll cut but Genis-Vell was a solid series and a cool concept
    5. Phyla-Vell - solid Annihilation character don't have anything negative to say about her
    6. Khn'nr - I think this was one of my if not my favorite books of that year
    7. Danvers - Not a fan, her personality and powers seem to change with different writers, her best comics were with The X-men where she was a plot device...though a cool one.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of things in Brian Reed's MS. MARVEL run that I liked a lot--but it also had some big flaws, and his attention deficit disorder when it came to subplots and supporting characters was very frustrating.
    I kind of like the Reed run because it was changing based on the greater universe and carol's character arc was mostly consistent, mainly the upheavel that secret invasion caused.
    the publicist was meant to be a self sabotage because the "best hero" was her taking on too much, so as she resolved those issues, it was Sarah day didn't need to be a presence
    Lightning storm and shield stopped existing past Secret invasion and Hammer taking over
    Anya had an unhealthy fixation on Carol an carol realized this so she distances herself from her and you saw it towards the end.
    The wonder-man relationship was a more sexual one, but simon himself said **** the avengers after norman took over and cut himself off completely.

And the thing about mystique is... she never had a strong animosity towards carol beyond rogue, that was the real meat of the story, mystique facilitated it, so with mar-vells clone showing up, it made sense.

But I would love to see some of these characters come back.

But despite the shifting world I felt like Reed's run felt more coherent somehow compared to KT's... might've been because of the various character arcs. Like hazmat has been there since Issue 1, one would think she has a consistent character interaction with Carol and is a consistent supporting cast, but its so shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    A book is only as good as its supporting cast, and Reed's Ms. Marvel had virtually no supporting cast. As stated by Dermie, there were attempts to add characters, but nothing stuck. I'll give Brian Reed credit for trying, but his run was very uneven.
    Most supporting casts nowadays tend to be fluid in marvel, in this decade even more so. There aren't many supporting casts anymore, but the solo still works if the story is good. You won't necessarily find characters like spider-man esque supporting casts.
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 09-13-2021 at 09:58 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    I kind of like the Reed run because it was changing based on the greater universe and carol's character arc was mostly consistent, mainly the upheavel that secret invasion caused.
    Its true that the changes in the Marvel Universe led to some of the changes in Carol's life (as one would expect)--but that's true for most books/characters. It doesn't usually mean that the writer just dumps ongoing supporting cast members and their subplots though.

the publicist was meant to be a self sabotage because the "best hero" was her taking on too much, so as she resolved those issues, it was Sarah day didn't need to be a presence
    That's true to an extent, but Reed had still built Sarah up to be a more important figure and hinted at there being more to her than meets the eye. We saw her interfering in Carol's personal life behind her back, threatening one of her boyfriends. We also saw her reading a book that seemed to be in alien writing of mystical symbols or something. That thread got dropped entirely.

Lightning storm and shield stopped existing past Secret invasion and Hammer taking over
    True, but those characters didn't simply cease to exist. Even if he didn't keep Sum, Sleepwalker and Machine Man around on an ongoing basis after that, he could still have revisited them and tied off loose ends a bit--particularly with Sum who was a character he created and whom he had started building some mystery around.

Anya had an unhealthy fixation on Carol an carol realized this so she distances herself from her and you saw it towards the end.
    Anya did get a bit more resolution than some of the others, but it still felt like there was unfinished business, imo.

The wonder-man relationship was a more sexual one, but simon himself said **** the avengers after norman took over and cut himself off completely.
    I disagree that it was a mostly sexual one--we only ever saw them have sex once, and there was definitely some emotional connection there. Yes, Bendis took Simon's character in another direction after Secret Invasion--but that's all the more reason for the subject to be touched on in Carol's own book, since she was in a relationship with him at the time. Instead they literally never mentioned the relationship again after the Secret Invasion tie-in issues. Aside from a quick cameo by Machine Man, it was like Brian Reed washed his hands off all supporting cast and storylines after that point and pretended he was starting the book over again.

And the thing about mystique is... she never had a strong animosity towards carol beyond rogue, that was the real meat of the story, mystique facilitated it, so with mar-vells clone showing up, it made sense.
    Mystique was introduced as a villain for Carol before the character of Rogue was ever created. Yes, once Rogue was introduced that backstory was retconned in to explain why Mystique targeted her since Claremont's original plans got derailed by the book getting cancelled.

The grudge between them now is not just on Mystique's side though--Carol has been carrying around a vendetta against Mystique since she murdered Carol's friend-with-benefits Michael Barnett. Carol vowed to make Mystique pay for Mike's murder. All of this is pre-Rogue. That is a long-dangling feud that fans have wanted to see dealt with for decades...but Mystique getting turned into an X-Men villain and Carol being shipped off to deep space for years put it on the back burner. Brian Reed got a shot at giving fans the epic Carol-vs-Mystique showdown they've waited decades for....and then decided instead to focus on a fake Mar-Vell that no one but him cared about. It was an extremely disappointing end to his run which, overall, had been a really entertaining read.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I think the main thing is that her cast was very tied up in the ongoings of the universe at the time

With sarah the actual mystery wasn't about sarah herself, but about william who had been planned to be a kree scout since the start, the alien stuff likely just involved her researching into him as a really nosy publicist, but not beyond that
    I'd like to see Sum come back, but the biggest thing about Sum was that he was a shield agent with a really unique background, he later does show up for a bit in war of the marvels keeping an eye on karla, and so did Machine man
    With wonder-man the resolution happened in new avengers because bendis seemed to have sidelined him, so I was happy enough with its resolution in the annual

Mystique was actually supposed to be doing it for rogue since the start, it was actually going to be a big hellfire club plotline elements of which were adapted into the Dark phoenix saga. And carol matched with mystique in Uncanny 158, had the opportunity to kill her, but chose against it, seemingly resolving whatever grudge was there with just an arrest. I don't really see a major plot point centering carol/mystique anymore beyond coincidences like this since they're both in very different places now

Astonishing Member

Since Marvel is so fond of synergy with its movies, they should just cancel Carol's ongoing and launch Captains Marvel with Monica and Carol -- in the Alex Ross outfits. Will never happen, but they need to lose the blue/red/gold military garb -- and give Carol a fresh look and fresh start. Don't try to distance her from Mar-Vell, because without him there would be no Carol Danvers or Captain Marvels.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Since Marvel is so fond of synergy with its movies, they should just cancel Carol's ongoing and launch Captains Marvel with Monica and Carol -- in the Alex Ross outfits. Will never happen, but they need to lose the blue/red/gold military garb -- and give Carol a fresh look and fresh start. Don't try to distance her from Mar-Vell, because without him there would be no Carol Danvers or Captain Marvels.
    I'd prefer to keep the two separate, unless they happen to be on the same team. Not quite sure why everyone feels that Monica and Carol have to be joined at the hip in some way. I personally think what the MCU did to Monica by subsuming her story within Carol's history is a travesty. I don't need to see that sort of thing happen again in comics. Let Monica stand on her own and do her own thing. And let Carol do the same...for as long as she enjoys the privileged editorial mandates that keep her aloft.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

It just dawn on me, Monica is John Stewart and Carol is Hal Jordan.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.