Page 207 of 234 FirstFirst ... 107157197203204205206207208209210211217 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,105 of 3509

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Do the payoffs have any bearing on the MVP vote or is it just regular season? because Rodgers and MVP candidate only scored 10 points at home vs an under dog. Meanwhile Mahomes was lights out! And even though Brady lost he had better stats in his game.

So if it it Rodgers vs Brady will they look at the fact that Brady did better even though he lost? Brady has been better in the Payoffs this year.

But if Rodgers does not win MVP he will bitch like crazy about cancel culture.
    Its just regular season. And it pretty much goes to either a QB or RB year after year.

Hard to argue against Rodgers there. Other candidates would be Mahomes, Allen, Brady. Cooper Kupp is allegedly a candidate except that they never have given it to a wide receiver. If Jerry Rice never got an MVP, well what can you say about Kupp's chances. Even a kicker got it one year. A kicker! How embarrassing.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Its just regular season. And it pretty much goes to either a QB or RB year after year.

Hard to argue against Rodgers there. Other candidates would be Mahomes, Allen, Brady. Cooper Kupp is allegedly a candidate except that they never have given it to a wide receiver. If Jerry Rice never got an MVP, well what can you say about Kupp's chances. Even a kicker got it one year. A kicker! How embarrassing.
    Yea Regular Season I would give it to Rodgers. I just didnt know if it ended after the regular season or if things like the post season mattered.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    If they ended NBA games on a free throw shooting competition after 1 OT period, no one would watch. Same if the decided MLB games on a home run derby after 1 extra inning. Unfortunately in the NFL and MLB, only one team's offense can be on the field at a time, both offense and defense units are essential for how the game is played. Take one side out of the equation and you are no longer playing baseball or football. An determination of a victor in a contest in those games should have both sides in the equation. In both the defense preventing the other team from scoring is as important as the offense trying to score for the game to be what it is. Removing one is deciding the game on something that isn't the game itself.

-M

Its really nothing like baseball though. In baseball each team gets to be batting an equal amount if it goes into extra innings. If the away team scores the home team Gets an at bat. So we can leave baseball out of the conversation. The other team gets a chance. With Hockey and Soccer you really just can't have those guys keep going. Especially in soccer the game slows down and the players get to tired. You have to end it. There is no sport that does anything similar like Football when in extra time. What football attempted to do is say ok if you score a touchdown you win. But if you score a field goal you don't win the game goes on. That is silly. To me if you don't want to do a field goal kickoff then at least give the other team possession.

Or shoot the have convoluted it so much why not just say first team to score a touchdown wins. Not oh if you score on your third possession the game keeps going. Its like they are trying to put together some crazy puzzle without all the pieces.

Astonishing Member

Yea Regular Season I would give it to Rodgers. I just didnt know if it ended after the regular season or if things like the post season mattered.

I mean they won't do it but the Watts guy from the steelers tied the all time record for sacks in a season. That should mean something.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I mean they won't do it but the Watts guy from the steelers tied the all time record for sacks in a season. That should mean something.
    Its not unheard of. Lawrence Taylor got it in 1986. Here is partly why:

"Although Taylor’s accomplishments are many, he recorded his finest statistical season in 1986 when he was named the NFL’s MVP, becoming the first defensive player to do so since 1971. That season, Taylor recorded a career high 20.5 sacks, 105 total tackles, five passes defensed, and two forced fumbles.

In a 1988 game against the New Orleans Saints, suffering with a torn pectoral muscle in his shoulder, Taylor demonstrated his remarkable strength and determination. Wearing a harness to keep his shoulder in place, he managed to record seven tackles, three sacks, and two forced fumbles. The Giants won 13-12"

105 tackles. Just think of that for a second. It was also given to LT that year because he was just a freak of nature, every football fan loved him and ... well the previous year he flat out broke Joe Theisman's leg on a sack. For a defensive guy, LT was kind of super duper scary popular.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 01-24-2022 at 06:09 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I wasn't keeping track, but did the extra game this season help Watt set the sack record?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Its really nothing like baseball though. In baseball each team gets to be batting an equal amount if it goes into extra innings. If the away team scores the home team Gets an at bat. So we can leave baseball out of the conversation. The other team gets a chance. With Hockey and Soccer you really just can't have those guys keep going. Especially in soccer the game slows down and the players get to tired. You have to end it. There is no sport that does anything similar like Football when in extra time. What football attempted to do is say ok if you score a touchdown you win. But if you score a field goal you don't win the game goes on. That is silly. To me if you don't want to do a field goal kickoff then at least give the other team possession.

Or shoot the have convoluted it so much why not just say first team to score a touchdown wins. Not oh if you score on your third possession the game keeps going. Its like they are trying to put together some crazy puzzle without all the pieces.
    But either team can score on that first possession, pick 6, safety or blocked kick or fumble recovery for a TD by the defense on the first possession and it's game over. The team with the first possession doesn't get a chance to to try to tie the score. If you want a possession and you don't get the ball first, play better defense. If your defense can't hold up for 1 drive with the game on the line, you get what you deserve. What's the old saying, defense wins championships. Your defense isn't good enough, you go home.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    In other news, it seems like Aaron the Pissy Packer has gone full MAGA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The quotes involve him embracing "The Big Lie"
    Isn't it weird how there's no right-wing pundits telling him he needs to "stick to sports" like when other players were protesting police violence?

It's like they were full of s*** about that take on athletes making statements, as long as it's ones they didn't agree with.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

BANNED

It's the same with celebrities. Hate Hollywood, tell celebrities to shut up, but Victoria Jackson or Scott Baio or Kevin Sorbo say something and it's paid attention to because they desperately want to glom onto the "cool" factor that might still be clinging to the corpses of the D-listers who agree with them.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I wasn't keeping track, but did the extra game this season help Watt set the sack record?
    He missed games due to injury, only played in 15 games, so you can't say he had 17 games to do it.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    He missed games due to injury, only played in 15 games, so you can't say he had 17 games to do it.
    Makes sense to me.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

MVP in my mind is if you take that player away, that team loses.

Brady is that player out of the 2 in my mind this year.

Rodgers has the stats, sure, but when he was gone ... They were still competitive. He threw up a stinker or 2 while Brady still took losses, they didn't look like that NO game Rodgers had.

Either are deserving and I wouldn't complain either way but if I voted, that is who and why.

That being said, their are defensive guys WAY more deserving than Brady or Rodgers IMHO.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-25-2022 at 11:35 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    MVP in my mind is if you take that player away, that team loses.

Brady is that player out of the 2 in my mind this year.

Rodgers has the stats, sure, but when he was gone ... They were still competitive. He threw up a stinker or 2 while Brady still took losses, they didn't look like that NO game Rodgers had.

Either are deserving and I wouldn't complain either way but if I voted, that is who and why.

That being said, their are defensive guys WAY more deserving than Brady or Rodgers IMHO.
    TJ Watt's knock will be that his team didn't make the playoffs.

And while a lot of people love Cooper Kupp on the Rams and the obscene numbers he put up this year... Aaron Donald is sitting RIGHT THERE. He might not have broken a sack record, but the pressures he stacked up... Aaron Donald forces teams to change games. Because both are so good, I feel like they might cancel each other out.

My vote would be for Brady, begrudgingly. I'm even baffled Josh Allen isn't getting more love, he carried the Bills down the stretch.

On the Saints front (my number 2 team since living in New Orleans years ago) It has been heavly rumored tht Sean Payton has told The Saints he is stepping away and an announcement is coming in the next few days.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

On the Saints front (my number 2 team since living in New Orleans years ago) It has been heavly rumored tht Sean Payton has told The Saints he is stepping away and an announcement is coming in the next few days.
    Or it just dropped just now.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-away-16-years