Page 183 of 234 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185186187193233 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,745 of 3509

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Well, debate's over. Giants fired Joe Judge.
    Now they have to find the right GM. Sadly that how place is a mess from top to bottom.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Well, debate's over. Giants fired Joe Judge.
    I’m sure New Yorkers are dancing in the streets at the news.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The Giants have 2 , 1st rd picks and with the cap being even $30+ million more...the team is over $367,000+ over the cap. Gettleman is retiring right as he leaves the next GM a f'n mess to clean up roster wise. The team can fix problems but its gonna take trades and cutting a lot of players. Things aren't gonna get easy but they have to get a GM who can score in the NFL Draft and its likely the best bet is Spielman. His drafts with Vikings were really good.

- So your gonna have to cut players or trades. Barkley would make sense to restructure his deal to be cheaper in a "prove it" year to see if he's fully back from ACL surgery. You really can't hold this season on him given how bad his team was or how bad the offensive line was at times. Barkley is due about $7+ million this season but as GM I'd convince him to restructure to $2+ million with an offer that if he can rebound career wise with 1,000+ yard season we will re-work his deal for 2023 and beyond.

Daniel Jones will be told the same thing. His 5th year option would not be picked up but he would need to lower his cap number from $8+ million. If he refuses try to trade him out if you can and eat the $4 million cap loss. But

The biggest cap hits for the Giants is James Bradberry (CB) $21+ million in 2022 , Leonard Williams ($27+ million) and Aoree Jackson ($15.5 million). In total that is a lot of money put into 3 players which accounts for $63 million in 2022 money. So these guys need to be restructured or cut possibly. These are the likely candidates to free up money more or less.

-

- If the Giants can free up $30-50 million in cap space , I'd then make the deal that could save the franchise at QB. I'd send the 1st , 2 1st rd picks to Seattle. They'd likely want 3-4 , 1st rd picks and well given what we have seen from Daniel Jones...I make that deal as much as people do a WTF. With Wilson , Kenny Gollady , Barkley and Kadaarius Toney ..I could have a legit offense that can take off. (Toney needs to grow up more and had an up/down rookie season but can rebound) .

But the key is a QB who won't cause nearly 50 turnovers himself in 3 seasons. You need that veteran QB and the best one on the market who wants a major market now is Russell Wilson.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    But the key is a QB who won't cause nearly 50 turnovers himself in 3 seasons. You need that veteran QB and the best one on the market who wants a major market now is Russell Wilson.
    Scary thought, if you are in the NFC East. For the NFC West, it would be a godsend.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Wilson is already 33, and a leg-based QB, the type that flame out sooner rather than later. He's not a classic pocket passer like Brees and Brady, which helped both of their longevity. Yes Seattle has had problems the last few years, but Wilson's decline is part of that problem not because of those problems. Wilson is already past peak, not every QB can be Brady and Brees and be effective into their late 30s and 40s. How much do you mortgage for Wilson, and if you are going to trade for him and not look like a fool, you need to offer based on what he will do and how much he has left and not on what he has done and how good he was in the past. Seattle is not going to accept offers for what he's still worth, they want a package based on what he was worth, and I am pretty sure any team that gives up a huge package for him is going to have buyer's regret after a season or two as that is pretty much the window he has left to be a game-changer. He may play longer than that, but he won't be a factor in his last few seasons, he will be the aging QB standing in the way of drafting a new franchise QB or in the way of the young promising QB to get reps to develop the way Eli was at the end of his career, and fans will be calling for him to go, and pointing fingers at the front office for giving up too much for him, especially if one of those picks is a young game-changer who will raise a team's level for years. And he will be paid far more than he's actually worth those last few years, another bad thing for a team that already has cap issues. And Wilson's not the kind of guy who's going to take on for the team when it comes to salary either, so don't count on him being willing to restructure unless he's getting more up front.

I like Russell Wilson, I think he has been a very good QB for a lot of years, but that is the problem. He has played a lot of years and there's a lot of mileage on those legs already. He doesn't look to be one of those exceptions who remains durable and excels well past the expected prime of a QB. I might offer a 1st round for him, I wouldn't offer multiple first rounders of a first rounder and one of more day 2 picks. A 1 and a handful or day 3 picks for a players who will help my team for a couple of years and then be done is ok. More than that, and you hurt your team more than you help it.

But as a Cowboy fan, I'm all for the Giants mortgaging their future and giving up too much draft capital and cap space for a short term solution at QB when they have issues up and down the lineup including offensive line that need to be addressed before any QB can make much of a difference.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Scary thought, if you are in the NFC East. For the NFC West, it would be a godsend.
    I don’t think that will happen. At 33, Wilson would want to play for a contender and have one last shot at another championship, and that ain’t happening with the Giants who’d probably need to do a full blown rebuild after a four win dumpster fire of a 2021 season. Sure, his wife Ciara would love being in New York City, but I doubt Wilson would.

Wilson plans to play from what he claims til his mid 40's. Its true his legs is his strength but he's also a very good passing QB. One that before missing 3 games this season had , had 4 seasons of throwing for over 4,000+ yards . Its true a lot is due to his legs and that is a fear sure. But given how good players condition themselves now Wilson could play logically into that.

He's 33 but given what is there in the draft , do you sit back and hope you can develop a QB ? Or do you gamble in free agency for a QB ? Who will be there in 2022 worth going after ?

In all the Giants have a situation where they tried the draft with Jones and have failed. There really isn't a QB out there worth rolling with beyond Wilson and Watson. And no way do I touch Watson if I'm Giants. Not with his issues off the field.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I don’t think that will happen. At 33, Wilson would want to play for a contender and have one last shot at another championship, and that ain’t happening with the Giants who’d probably need to do a full blown rebuild after a four win dumpster fire of a 2021 season. Sure, his wife Ciara would love being in New York City, but I doubt Wilson would.
    I honestly don't think Seattle will EVER trade Wilson. He;s the greatest QB they have had in franchise history. No way do they want him in another jersey. Its gonna take a HR offer and Wilson literally refusing to play in 2022 to see this happen. Seattle will do whatever it takes to make Russell Wilson happy.

Wilson plans to play from what he claims til his mid 40's. Its true his legs is his strength but he's also a very good passing QB. One that before missing 3 games this season had , had 4 seasons of throwing for over 4,000+ yards . Its true a lot is due to his legs and that is a fear sure. But given how good players condition themselves now Wilson could play logically into that.

He's 33 but given what is there in the draft , do you sit back and hope you can develop a QB ? Or do you gamble in free agency for a QB ? Who will be there in 2022 worth going after ?

In all the Giants have a situation where they tried the draft with Jones and have failed. There really isn't a QB out there worth rolling with beyond Wilson and Watson. And no way do I touch Watson if I'm Giants. Not with his issues off the field.
    If I am the Giants I use all that draft capital to address the many needs the team has, grab at least one offensive lineman in the first round, maybe 2 if there's another starter available with my second pick. It's a QB poor draft everyone agrees, and Jones isn't the answer, but a 33 year old QB who couldn't stay healthy behind Seattle's line is going to a worse situation with the Giants and has as good a chance of spending as many games on IR as he does playing if his legs aren't up to keeping him out of trouble because he will have no pocket. And with as much complaining he did in Seattle about the o-line woes creating locker room tension, you think he's not going to do it again and cause waves with a new team that's just as bad and this time he doesn't have the time in the trenches spent with them for them to give him a pass. If I am the Giants, I keep my draft capital, build the lines on both sides of the ball, roll with Jones for one more year, and then see what's in the next draft or free agent class when I have the infrastructure in place for a QB to make a difference. This isn't a team that's a QB away from competing, they're closer to being the Jets than being on the level of any of their NFC East rivals, and adding a good QB to a bad team won't move the needle for them.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    The fairy tale ending would be for Buffalo to win it all and get rid of the ghosts of Super Bowl's past, not sure that will happen though...
    One of the scenarios I could see happening would be that (bonus points if it's against the Cowboys) and then the team gaining enough value and momentum for the owners to finally move the team as the owners have said they might want to. Buffalo being faithful and rabid fans for years through very s##tty stretches and finally getting to the promised land, only to see it all yanked away for good. Almost has to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    If I am the Giants I use all that draft capital to address the many needs the team has, grab at least one offensive lineman in the first round, maybe 2 if there's another starter available with my second pick. It's a QB poor draft everyone agrees, and Jones isn't the answer, but a 33 year old QB who couldn't stay healthy behind Seattle's line is going to a worse situation with the Giants and has as good a chance of spending as many games on IR as he does playing if his legs aren't up to keeping him out of trouble because he will have no pocket. And with as much complaining he did in Seattle about the o-line woes creating locker room tension, you think he's not going to do it again and cause waves with a new team that's just as bad and this time he doesn't have the time in the trenches spent with them for them to give him a pass. If I am the Giants, I keep my draft capital, build the lines on both sides of the ball, roll with Jones for one more year, and then see what's in the next draft or free agent class when I have the infrastructure in place for a QB to make a difference. This isn't a team that's a QB away from competing, they're closer to being the Jets than being on the level of any of their NFC East rivals, and adding a good QB to a bad team won't move the needle for them.

-M

Yes offensive line is a Need area. Its one of those areas that need to be addressed. With a number of players there the Giants can use a 2nd rd pick on a tackle/guard they need. I'm gonna give a near example of this and while its close to 30 years ago and different situations ...it shows how a team can draft a Hall of Fame guard in 2nd rd.

Back in 1993 , Kansas City send a 1st rd pick and a to get Joe Montana. Montana was older (36 I believe) and had injuries missing entire seasons. It was a gamble but KC was given a 3rd rd pick by the 49ers. KC had lost their 2nd rd pick in draft due to using the 1992 Supplemental draft. They drafted Darren Mickell there and while he didn't work out and they lost that draft pick , the 3rd rd pick the Chiefs had became...Will Shields. A Hall of Fame guard that played 14 seasons and went to 12 Pro Bowls and considered one of the best of that era.

Now I'm not saying the Giants will draft a Will Shields or anything like that. But they can draft a guard or tackle in the 2nd rd here. The offensive line needs can be addressed there. On the defensive line side the Giants seem to have some good players there. The team had 34 sacks and while its not a huge number , they did start a rookie DE in Azeez Ojulari who had 8 sacks. They also had Dexter Lawrence and Leonard Williams on that line. Both can be a tandem. Sure another DE or DT would be great to rotate in at times.

But we have to look at this , the Giants do have pieces here. They have to fix the salary cap issue but the defense has some good pieces. Its the fact we can't tell it due to the fact of how bad the offense really was. And the offense was so bad as we know it likely didn't help that defense to constantly be on the field.

The biggest issues the team has is QB and offensive line right now. They can walk into draft with a good GM and find a solid starting guard or tackle early to pair with a QB who won't be turning the ball over as much.

I honestly don't think Seattle will EVER trade Wilson. He;s the greatest QB they have had in franchise history. No way do they want him in another jersey. Its gonna take a HR offer and Wilson literally refusing to play in 2022 to see this happen. Seattle will do whatever it takes to make Russell Wilson happy.
    If Wilson were to ever leave Seattle, that would be the equivalent of running up the white flag. No way to know if Pete Carroll would sign up for that since he's pushing 70, chances are he'd probably retire and the team would start a rebuild.

If Wilson were to ever leave Seattle, that would be the equivalent of running up the white flag. No way to know if Pete Carroll would sign up for that since he's pushing 70, chances are he'd probably retire and the team would start a rebuild.
    The only way Seattle ever entertains this idea is if they get a HR offer for Wilson. And one that includes a couple 1st rd picks at least. The Giants maybe able to work a deal where you can send Barkley to Seattle in place of a draft pick and another player. Either way , if a deal happens its gonna be one Seattle feels they can't walk away from.

Just got an alert that Houston canned head coach David Culley after just one season with the Texans having finished 4-13.

Just got an alert that Houston canned head coach David Culley after just one season with the Texans having finished 4-13.
    So, are we getting to a point soon where it's easier to say what head coaches are staying rather than which ones got fired or left for other reasons?