Page 38 of 234 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    They might want to work on protecting Mac Jones better too. Sacked at least four times and one of them, the defender who sacked him looked like he just swallowed him up whole. Not one Patriot any where near Jones as a pass protector.
    Eh ... I disagree a bit with that.

All but one sack was 100% on Jones not dumping or hesitating. He made no effort to move. His misread the pressure and instead of getting rid of it, he ate the sack. He HAS to work on that.

That one sack that wasn't on him was 100% the Buc player making a nice play. That was the swim move into the inside and the nice block out that got Mac sacked.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

All but one sack was 100% on Jones not dumping or hesitating. He made no effort to move. His misread the pressure and instead of getting rid of it, he ate the sack. He HAS to work on that.

That one sack that wasn't on him was 100% the Buc player making a nice play. That was the swim move into the inside and the nice block out that got Mac sacked.
    I stand corrected.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

There was one sack Jones took where the tackle literally allowed the guy to go around him. Sure Jones could have had an extra second if he stepped up there. But i can't see how he could really avoid that one sack where the guy literally was on him so quick. Yes Jones as a rookie has to learn to buy time , stepping around in the pocket , moving etc. Its gonna come in time.

The best deal is , he's not shattering due to pressure like Blaine Gabbert did. If anyone doesn't remember Gabbert was thrown out there way , waaay before he was ready in the 2nd game of his rookie season and took a number of sacks. Then started really suffering from what he thought was sacks coming etc. Jones didn't have that happen so he seems to be doing well.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    They might want to work on protecting Mac Jones better too. Sacked at least four times and one of them, the defender who sacked him looked like he just swallowed him up whole. Not one Patriot any where near Jones as a pass protector.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Yeah, agree he needs to learn to throw that ball away when it's not going to happen. Live to fight another day without taking a loss of yardage (and the energy/hype a sack gives a defense).

I think we still need time to find out what kind of QB Tua will be. But in hindsight, the Phins should have gone with Herbert.

The San Diego-Los Angeles Chargers are crushing the Oakland-Los Angeles-Oakland-Las Vegas Raiders.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 10-04-2021 at 07:18 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    There was one sack Jones took where the tackle literally allowed the guy to go around him. Sure Jones could have had an extra second if he stepped up there. But i can't see how he could really avoid that one sack where the guy literally was on him so quick. Yes Jones as a rookie has to learn to buy time , stepping around in the pocket , moving etc. Its gonna come in time.

The best deal is , he's not shattering due to pressure like Blaine Gabbert did. If anyone doesn't remember Gabbert was thrown out there way , waaay before he was ready in the 2nd game of his rookie season and took a number of sacks. Then started really suffering from what he thought was sacks coming etc. Jones didn't have that happen so he seems to be doing well.
    MIZZOU fans kind of knew Gabbert wouldn’t work out because they’d seen what one bad game at the hands of Suh did to Gabbert in college - he went form someone who would scramble up field to someone who scrambled backwards.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Carr and Raiders engineering yet another 2nd half comeback. From 21-0 to 21-14 with a quarter to go.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Coming back from 21 down is just too much.

Raiders need to learn how to play 4 quarters of football....SMH
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Derek Carr just proving he isn't the type of QB who can rally a team back with that int. He can play with a lead sure. But game on the line no way would I select him.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Derek Carr just proving he isn't the type of QB who can rally a team back with that int. He can play with a lead sure. But game on the line no way would I select him.

They've come back from being down 14 points TWICE this year.

I mean I wish they could have bumped that to 21....

But tonight was not a Carr issue tonight was an O-Line Issue
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I think we still need time to find out what kind of QB Tua will be. But in hindsight, the Phins should have gone with Herbert.
    Which brings up the question, how long will the Dolphins be patient with Tua? The fact they were allegedly kicking the tires on Deshaun Watson in the offseason tells me Tua should rent, not buy, because his stay in Miami might be short lived. Admittedly, I don't follow college football all that much, so I have no idea what hot QB's will be available in the '22 Draft, but, it wouldn't surprise me if the Fish spend a first round pick on one of them.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Don't know what to make of the Niners game as they had trouble against my Eagles WITH Jimmy G, but, the Cards figure to win
    Cleveland? Straight up loss. The Browns look like the best team in AFC North
    I agree the Texans, who could go winless will be an easy week
    Green Bay? Man, that's going to be tough, what with Aaron the Pissy Packer on his farewell/revenge against the front office tour. Loss.

2-2. Still, 6-2 at the near halfway point will be a good place for your squad to be.
    I think you're right. They're probably gonna be 2-2 in the next four, and I think it's a miracle they've won twice on the road in early starts so far this year in Tennessee and Jacksonville. Going to Cleveland right now... yeah. Early start and Myles Garrett and that defense... that's not gonna be fun.

The fun on that game is that it's back to back Heisman winners from Oklahoma. The Murray/Mayfield matchup can get hyped up going into that game. Same way we'll see a big hype package for Murray/Rodgers down the line.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

WEEK 5 "WHO'S COOKIN' ON THE HOTSEAT?/FIRE THIS COACH!" DISCUSSION

Started 2021 on a Hot Seat... CURRENTLY ON A COOL SEAT: Kliff Kingsbury, Cardinals; Jon Gruden, Raiders; Mike McCarthy, Cowboys; Zac Taylor, Bengals

The ten hottest seats:

10. Frank Reich, Colts (LUKEWARM SEAT): All right, we need to talk about Indy. They’re 1-3, but let’s keep in mind, those losses are against some top-tier teams, in the Rams, the Seahawks, and the Titans. The latter of whom is their division rival who many picked to win the AFC South. While starting out winless in September is perhaps a disappointment in that it’s the worst case scenario for their record (duh, that’s how zero works), they’re at least not awful, having yet to have been blown out.

But Carson Wentz already is on the injury report as questionable, and the talk heading into their matchup with the Titans was that he was playing on two sprained ankles. Which only made people ask… how the f*** do you sprain BOTH ankles? Bottom line, this team’s fortunes ride on the health of a guy who has the durability of wet tissue paper.

Why does that fall on Frank Reich? He’s the guy who wanted to trade for Wentz, so if he does fall out of games completely and they’re forced to start their unqualified back-up options… he’s likely to take the blame. That will happen when you green light the front office sending draft picks for a $40 million a year albratross with a busted wing. If Indianapolis can’t reverse course and get into the playoffs, well, Reich’s on the fourth year of his contract, and could be shown the door.

The good news? They got a win because the Dolphins on the schedule this week, who have their own injury prone QB to allow the Colts to get a victory.

9. Vic Fangio, Broncos: It’s year three of Vic Fangio, and somehow, he’s got the best QB situation he’s had with Teddy Bridgewater coming in this year. Perhaps we should mention that last year, the game that the Broncos played without an actual QB was because under Fangio’s leadership, the whole QB room broke Covid-19 protocols so they could sit right on top of each other in the film room, rather than socially distance in corners. If you can’t get guys to adhere to that simple thing… it might be because you yourself are fighting the regulations there to keep you alive.

At least, that was the case before Bridgewater got a concussion yesterday in a loss to the Ravens. (Fangio also is making headlines for being a redass and complaining about Baltimore not going into victory formation to call one more running play to tie the NFL record for consecutive 100 yard rushing games, because of COURSE he’ll use any excuse to be a redass.) If Bridgewater can’t clear protocols for next week’s matchup on the road against the Steelers (who are in need of a win badly) and they’re fielding Drew Lock under center… they could quickly tumble back to 3-2. And those three wins are against the hapless Giants, the woeful Jaguars, and the abysmal Jets. Once he has to play the rest of the AFC West… that’s when we’ll really see if the Broncos are the real deal.

A reminder, Fangio declared that Covid-19 is showing "who the whiners are" around the NFL, last season. On the field, though... “Mr. Covid Tough Guy” Fangio led Denver to a 5-11 in 2020, and to paraphrase a wiser person on CBR than I… “Denver somehow found the only person who can make dumber decisions than Vance Joseph.” Prediction: The Broncos next head coach will not have a name that starts with “V”. Just in case.

8. Mike Tomlin, Steelers: Alright, look… I don’t want Mike Tomlin fired. I think he’s a damned fine coach, he’s kept the Steelers winning for like a decade, and he’s had a franchise QB who while his numbers and win totals are always good, is by many accounts toxic to deal with at the center of his locker room… and yet he’s soldiered on in spite of Big Ben chasing all the talent at skill positions out of town year in and out when they get the chance to run.

This being said, even when he just loses in the playoffs, there are Yinzers out there in Pennsyltucky who call for his job. And now, with the Steelers 1-3, those calls are louder than ever.

My take: It’s not the coach’s fault, Big Ben was done last year, but won’t go away. Management probably won’t fire him, because it’s the Rooney family and they love stability above all else. Tomlin would have to lose every part of the locker room for that to happen, and that doesn’t seem to be the case right now.

7. Bill Belichek, Patriots: Does Belichek get a pass this year they’re starting a rookie QB in Mac Jones? They had seven starters on defense sit out last year due to Covid-19… but those guys are back. Is the story of this year going to be “Belichek gets a pass because he started a rookie he’s developing?” We’re saying, yes. That’s why no matter what Tom Brady does in Tampa Bay that will make people wonder if Belichek maybe isn’t that good without him, he’ll be allowed to hang around.

After Week Two, Belichek looked reeeeallll smart, but that’s because he got the cure for whatever has ailed him for two decades… the New York Jets. Mac Jones completely outplayed Zach Wilson, his counterpart on the other side, and the Patriots’ defense picked off Wilson four times. Darth Hoodie’s doom is not impending… at this time.

Belichek had the benefit of miserable weather conditions to keep this game close, and ended up losing to Tom Brady and the Bucs on his homecoming to Foxboro on a missed 56 yard FG in the final minute to drop him to 1-3. Still, the reaction from Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth was, “Mac Jones is gonna be good, and this was way closer than we thought it would be…” so public perception will be in his favor.

SIDE NOTE: We also saw Bill’s son Steve on the sidelines, and he has the most godawful mullet we’ve seen in football in over a decade. We cannot overstate this.

6. Robert Saleh, Jets (LUKEWARM SEAT): Look, we’re gonna say it… we thought this was a solid hire. It probably still is… but the Jets looked AWFUL through 3 weeks, even for Gang Green. They got shut out against the Denver Broncos yesterday and struggled to get even 162 total yards of offense. We know… Saleh’s a defensive coach, and he’s got a questionable talent in his rookie signal-caller Zach Wilson. A first year head coach usually doesn’t end up on the chopping block…

But it can happen. Steve Wilks went 3-13 in one year in Arizona and the locker room knew his OC was a joke, and they just gave up on him. So no matter how fired up people were to play for Saleh in San Francisco, if things don’t reverse course with the Jets, he could end up a “one and done” guy.

The Jets inexplicably beat the Titans yesterday in OT because Tennessee never solved their lack of a kicker and missed a tying FG in said overtime. They have avoided going 0-17 in 2021, and if Saleh can get to just four wins, he’s probably going to get a second year in New York.

The five hottest seats:

5. Joe Judge, Giants (LUKEWARM SEAT): We don’t believe Joe Judge should have ever been a head coach. His prior experience before getting the gig in the Meadowlands with the G-Men was serving as special teams coordinator/wide receivers coach in New England (a team not regarded well for its WR corps during his tenure). His QB is living blooper reel Daniel Jones. His team’s preseason was marred by a massive brawl with THEMSELVES where the pileup of players throwing haymakers tumbled onto their starting QB who ended up at the bottom of the mound of humanity, enraging Judge so he made his players run gassers like they were back in high school JV, and resulting in one veteran filing to retire immediately, rather than play for him any more.

This guy’s team loathes him, and the New York media are salivating at all the ink they can lay out simply by getting his players to throw him under the bus. His only hope for any job security is he’s coaching in the worst division in the NFL right now, where practically any of the four teams in it could accidentally stumble into a division title to get destroyed in the first round of the playoffs. That's the bright side.

In Week One, this squad got the good fortune to play against the Denver Broncos, who are thought of as, at best, a mid-tier team at the moment. They got destroyed. The Giants lost to the WFT in Week 2, and on the sideline, their top free agent acquisition, WR Kenny Golladay, was thought to be screaming at his quarterback, but Golladay let the New York media know he was actually screaming at OC Jason Garrett… yeah… things are just fine in the Big Apple. Just fine…

In Week 3, they lost to the previously winless Falcons, and Daniel Jones could only manage 14 points against an atrocious Atlanta defense. He had 2 more fumbles. For those keeping track, that’s 12 career fumbles in 29 career starts to go along with 22 INTs. Not exactly a statistic to be proud of.

Yesterday, the Giants had a come-from-behind victory in overtime at the Superdome in New Orleans, and for now, that means Judge’s job is safe. For now.

4. Brian Flores, Dolphins: The Dolphins are 1-3, and that one win came in Week 1 against the Patriots by a single point. They just lost to a Colts team that was previous winless, and will be sending Jacoby Brissett out at QB instead of Tu’a, but… well, this franchise has been lobbying to trade for DeShaun “Serial Massage Therapist Groper” Watson in a way that’s come to public knowledge and seems to indicate they don’t think Flores can coach offense with what he’s got. And Tu’a, while now confirmed as injury prone, was a first round pick…

Don’t expect this team to snap their losing streak this week, as they have to go to Tampa Bay and play the champs. Sure, the Bucs have injuries in their secondary… but is Jacoby Brissett supposed to win a QB duel against Tom Brady and that offense? Probably not, especially because Will Fuller’s been ruled out with a hand injury.

Back to Flores… he enters this game 16-19 as a coach, and seems like he’ll be falling further under .500 before the end of this season, which will likely see the ‘Phins go another direction at the end of the year.

3. Dan Campbell, Lions : To paraphrase a cleverer poster than me, , “The Lions continue their 60 year process of rebuilding…” They’re 0-4 again, getting handled by the 49ers and Packers in the first two weeks, the latter on MNF where they got outscored in the second half 21-0 and gave their division rivals the much-needed bounce-back game to take heat off of the Aaron Rodgers/GB Front Office feud. Yesterday, they lost to a Ravens team DECIMATED by injuries, again filling the role of “fodder for a playoff team having early struggles who needs a cream-puff opponent to right the ship”. How did they lose? Oh, just on a record 66 yard FG at the final gun. Yes, Detroit has found so many ways to lose, teams have to break records just to make it feel new.

In Week 4 they handed Justin Fields his first win, with Jared Goff having a big hand in that by fumbling away to the Bears twice.

We always say that first year coaches are not usually on the hot seat, but Dan Campbell is a former Tight Ends coach who yells about getting up again and again to bite your opponents’ kneecaps, which starts out like some inspiring Captain America speech but ends up sounding like a meek little chihuahua. He’s close to motivating… but not close enough.

The Lions have Jared Goff at QB without Sean McVay in his headset, and that quickly has seen him transform back into the rube he was as a rookie under the tutelage of Jeff Fisher. Oh yeah, they traded Stafford for this guy, and tried convincing themselves they could make Cinderella work as the clock was already at 11:59 PM. Well, now you have Jared Goff sitting in a rotting pumpkin in rags. Great job, Detroit. Can you run the ball yet? NO. Do you have any receivers? Well, you have T.J. Hockensen at tight-end, and nothing else. How’s the defense? Well, Jeff Okudah went down for the year in Week 1, and otherwise, you have just an aging Michael Brockers at DT. That’s it. That’s all. The cupboard is almost bare, and this looks like they will be one of the worst three teams in football by year’s end.

They’re only hope to avoid another 0-16 is that they can go 0-17 this time. Minnesota and Chicago are always ready to stumble and get tripped up for a division win in one of their four games against them. But is Dan Campbell good enough to capitalize? After he went 5-7 as an interim coach with the Dolphins?

It’s Detroit. And were it anywhere else, if this guy bombs in his first season, he’d be fired. But they’re used to 3 and 4 win seasons, so he might get a pass.

2. Mike Zimmer, Vikings : The Vikings were supposedly "just a QB away" from winning a Super Bowl a few years ago with the impeccable defense they had, and they spent BIG for Kirk Cousins. Then they traded away Stephon Diggs (BIG MISTAKE), and their defense officially "got a case of the olds" going into 2020. Minnesota’s biggest off-season free agent signing was CB Patrick Peterson, who age has not just proven to be “no longer an elite corner”, he’s arguably “not even a starting corner” in the league, admitting on his podcast he struggles at covering any receiver who’s simply PUT IN MOTION. That’s the top free agent addition to an aged defense.

Week 4 saw the Vikes manage just seven points… SEVEN against the Browns. Yes, that’s a good defense, but with Cousins and the weapons on this offense, you’d hope for more. But that’s what you’re going to get when coached by Mike Zimmer, who seems to always find a way to make coaching decisions that end up costing his team, and taking no blame when it happens.

1. Urban Meyer, Jaguars: Jacksonville’s preseason was filled with self-inflicted wounds caused by decisions from Meyer, from hiring coaches without vetting them properly (strength and conditioning coach Chris Doyle), bringing in Tim Tebow as a possible TIGHT END option that was nothing but a media distraction, and acting like he’s the smartest guy in the NFL because of his college success. I’m no coaching expert, but having a rookie QB throw over 50 times in his first start MAAAYBE isn’t a winning formula, even if he is a butt-chin wonder like Trevor Lawrence.

And about that game… the Houston Texans, regarded as many as a candidate to be the worst team in the NFL this year… the Jags got blown out by THAT team. One that doesn’t have a first or second day drat pick until 2022. One that doesn’t have DeShaun Watson, and keeps letting Arizona poach its Pro Bowlers. THAT Texans team wiped the floor with Urban Meyer’s squad, and to their 16th consecutive loss.

That was Week One. In Week two, they just got flat-out handled by the Denver Broncos. This week? Arizona’s came to town, and Kliff Kingsbury gifted the Jags a free seven points right before halftime, and couldn’t get his offense in gear even though the Jags had 2 of their top 3 corners out. The Jags were up 9 with 18 minutes left, and were running the ball down Arizona’s throat. How’d they lose it?

Meyer called a flea-flicker even though J.J. Watt was fishing for sacks and in Jacksonville’s backfield all afternoon. Trevor Lawrence panicked and threw a pick six a few plays after Arizona had cut the lead to two, and that mistake put the Cardinals up for good.

Week 4: The Jags blow another double-digit lead to the Cincinnatti Bengals for their 19th straight loss, and more importantly… Urban Meyer trends on Twitter for getting free lap dances in the bar of his Cleveland restaurant because… well, I guess that’s what happens when you got a title with Ohio State. THAT… is not what you want to make headlines for after a month into the season… zero wins, poor development on Trevor Lawrence, and having someone rub their ass on your junk in your own dive bar. Urban Meyer might develop a sudden health concern again and turn up to coach USC after all.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 10-05-2021 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Which brings up the question, how long will the Dolphins be patient with Tua? The fact they were allegedly kicking the tires on Deshaun Watson in the offseason tells me Tua should rent, not buy, because his stay in Miami might be short lived. Admittedly, I don't follow college football all that much, so I have no idea what hot QB's will be available in the '22 Draft, but, it wouldn't surprise me if the Fish spend a first round pick on one of them.
    With Watson, we aren't talking about looking for another QB, we are talking about one of the top franchise QBs becoming available. While Tua is still a work in progress. And Deshaun was only 25! Pre-sexual assault Watson was a no brainer.
    I think Tua has to remain healthy enough to see what he can do. He will play game 6, so we will see. It is way too early give up on Tua.
    Right now they are losing more because of their Defense than their Offense.