Page 172 of 818 FirstFirst ... 72122162168169170171172173174175176182222272672 ... LastLast
Results 2,566 to 2,580 of 12267

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    What made me mad is that when they where Family and they where together Marvel Always played up the Negatives between Magneto and the Twins to much. They never tried to focus on any development of them, only how Neglectful Magneto was and not-caring. This was to an even more determent of Lorna, which IMO was the major part of the Family I Love the Most. Interaction between the Sisters and how high profile they where brought a smile to my face and was one of my greatest hopes for coming stories.

But with this that hopes have gotten greatly dashed, not all completely, but a Major Dash.

What is most major is that Marvel has in-grand this family so much into the Canon I can't see how they will come-up with any story, even if they spent a year on it to undo it. If they try for their Mutant Gene, it is going to make a major mess of major levels. The only way out is to say it was like an X-Gene, but never fully was kind of thing. Still going to make a mess and as FlashingSabre said, they will find a way.
    Fair enough. But, really, Wanda and Lorna have never really been close. Like, ever.

The recent issue in X-factor is the only substantial exchange they've ever had.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    They could really go a long way to helping things by putting Wanda back on the main team of the Avengers. The UA book has been awful to her, so not exactly excited for 2.0. It just doesn't give me confidence that she'll be treated better anytime soon.
    I believe UA is the way UA is GenericUsername, I don't begrudge anyone that is not happy with it, I can see and understand the reason why my friend. In my point of view, I just have found it enjoyable the story and find more positives then I think most other fans do in Wanda's part in it, not just I am a Fan of hers, just cause I seem to see that, but that is just me.

But I do agree that I would like Wanda to be Apart of more books and her place is also on the Main Avengers Team. I big hit against the book, Hickman's that is is that Wanda is not their and it is suppose to be about the Main Avengers. Never felt right not to have Wanda or for that matter Wasp their at times like Infinity and other moments, felt like being cheated.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Fair enough. But, really, Wanda and Lorna have never really been close. Like, ever.

The recent issue in X-factor is the only substantial exchange they've ever had.
    That is what always made my sad Klinton, that is a valued point bro with how Marvel made a lack of closeness of the Sisters.

Sadly, to much of the Family was in the end About the conflict between the Twins and Magneto. How Bad of a Father he was and how uncaring he was. They played that so much that is just went to the hilt in UA #25 with Wanda going on and on about that, to me is was a major determent to both her character and to the greater dynamic that the Siblings.

What my hope was that after the X-Factor Issue we get more of that kind of interaction, that THAT was what fans have wanted more of and wanted this closeness to have started to happen.

That is why I say both sides of this News today, those who are not happy with it and those that are more positive about it both make valued points. Really, Marvel set the stage for both side to view it the way we have, in the end it just comes down to personal preference and hopes in what we like to see I guess bro. ;-)
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    That is what always made my sad Klinton, that is a valued point bro with how Marvel made a lack of closeness of the Sisters.

Sadly, to much of the Family was in the end About the conflict between the Twins and Magneto. How Bad of a Father he was and how uncaring he was. They played that so much that is just went to the hilt in UA #25 with Wanda going on and on about that, to me is was a major determent to both her character and to the greater dynamic that the Siblings.

What my hope was that after the X-Factor Issue we get more of that kind of interaction, that THAT was what fans have wanted more of and wanted this closeness to have started to happen.
    As I said elsewhere, by 2004 that was actually changing. In the 80s Magneto tried to be close with Wanda and repentant, but she wasn't ready and was angry at him. From 1991 until 2001 it was Magneto returning to his war and putting his war first so yes during that time period the interaction between Wanda and Magneto can best be summed up with the old.... your a monster.... your a disappointment.

From 2000.

In 2004 though after Wanda's breakdown which contrary to popular belief had nothing to do with Magneto, he crossed the entire world to save her and take care of her. That started her on the most interesting of her family story lines with Magneto as you could see in Children's Crusade where she could see more then just Magneto the villain who messed up her life and could see the man Max who is trying to help her. That really ended when Uncanny Avengers started and she was back to viewing him as nothing more then a genocidal monster and their interaction returned to what it was in the 1980s.

It didn't have to revert to the same old ****, it was on a more interesting path. In fact writers were so interested with Wanda and Pietro's post HoM story line with Magneto that Lorna's family developments sort of got left behind for many years. She built up a relationship with Crystal and Luna though (who now are no longer part of her family), she deepened her relationship with Pietro (a relationship that is now gone), and started building one with Wanda. They only scratched the very surface of what they could have done with Lorna and Wanda.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    In 2004 though after Wanda's breakdown which contrary to popular belief had nothing to do with Magneto, he crossed the entire world to save her and take care of her. That started her on the most interesting of her family story lines with Magneto as you could see in Children's Crusade where she could see more then just Magneto the villain who messed up her life and could see the man Max who is trying to help her. That really ended when Uncanny Avengers started and she was back to viewing him as nothing more then a genocidal monster and their interaction returned to what it was in the 1980s.
    I guess it's a bit of a blow for Magneto's character, since writers often use the relationship to w̶h̶i̶t̶e̶w̶a̶s̶h̶ ̶h̶i̶m̶ make him more sympathetic. It's always done at the expense of Wanda, though, because she generally ends up coming off as either helpless or petulant (sometimes both).

Anyway, I'll be surprised if this lasts. It's probably just misdirection, to get people talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Saffron View Post
    I guess it's a bit of a blow for Magneto's character, since writers often use the relationship to w̶h̶i̶t̶e̶w̶a̶s̶h̶ ̶h̶i̶m̶ make him more sympathetic. It's always done at the expense of Wanda, though, because she generally ends up coming off as either helpless or petulant (sometimes both).

Anyway, I'll be surprised if this lasts. It's probably just misdirection, to get people talking.
    Its hurt Wanda that writers didn't continue her view on him as Children's Crusade. Her viewing him as a flawed man in Children's Crusade was actual progress and made her look sympathetic. Her viewing him as a monster who ruined her life after Children's Crusade ended didn't help the character with her alternating between blaming her life's problems on either bad dad or former dad as it were or Doom.

Writers would be wise to follow the tact laid down in Children's Crusade of her looking forward and trying to build a better future.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-11-2014 at 09:44 AM.

http://observationdeck.io9.com/makin...ion-1669703938

This article speculates on who created this deception.

http://masterherald.com/thor-3-tease...-wrapped/4508/

Scarlet Witch will appear in the Thor 3 teaser at the end of Age of Ultron

Tom Brevoort speaks about the big reveal:

Newsarama: Tom, can you confirm what readers found out today in Avengers & X-Men: AXIS #7 was that Magneto is not actually related to Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver?

Tom Brevoort: I don’t know that there’s any definitive proof of that one way or the other. But something pretty strange and unexpected is going on, certainly.

Nrama: Will be find out later about any other character(s) beside Pietro that was affected by the spell?

Brevoort: I tend to think that the spell in question was localized to the immediate area. Otherwise, it’s possible that Polaris might have been affected — or that she might not have been. Wiccan and Speed, likewise, may have been affected were they in the spell’s sphere of influence — but my feeling is that it was a localized phenomenon.

Nrama: Should readers assume at this time whether or not Wanda and Pietro are actually even mutants? Or should readers question that part of their history as well?

Brevoort: The history of both Wanda and Pietro is shrouded in a lot of mystery and mistaken assumptions, and has been virtually since day one. So I think you should definitely be wondering about all of it.

Nrama: And if we were to ask you directly if it's possible they're actually Inhumans, you'd reply...?

Brevoort: Uncanny Avengers #1 ships in January!

Nrama: Tom, finally, being just months before Avengers: Age of Ultron, one obvious inference of this development is that it may dramatically alter and perhaps bridge something of a significant mismatch between the Marvel Universe and the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Can you say whether any part of this is about making the MU and MCU more closely match up right before Wanda and Pietro's introduction into the MCU?

Brevoort: It’s all about us telling a story, as it always is.

BR News: Tom, let's kick off with one of the biggest moments in "AXIS" #7, the reveal that Magneto may not be Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch's father after all.

Tom Brevoort: Yes, there certainly is an indication that something is going on there. What's exactly going on is something that we may learn more about in "AXIS," or possibly after.

Can you talk about the editorial origins of this reveal? Or would that be spoiling what's to come?

I can talk a little bit about that, sure. Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch's history has been fairly stable in recent years, but if you go back it hasn't always been that way. They have kind of a confused and byzantine history. We've been told different things about them at different points, and we've believed different things about who and what they were. So we're going to delve into all of that again.

We know Rick Remender will be using Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in his next volume of "Uncanny Avengers" when it kicks off in January. Can readers expect the mysteries surrounding the characters to continue over in that series?

For certain. We've already put out the teaser about "No More Mutants." This is a bit of business that will start in "AXIS," but it will pick up in "Uncanny Avengers" right out of the gate with the new #1. So we'll see more of it in the near future.

Magneto not being related to Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch will have some readers wondering if he's still related to Polaris. Is that something Peter David will have time to address in the remaining issues of "All-New X-Factor?"

I don't know if Peter will get to address that in "X-Factor," but I don't know if one necessarily discounts the other. Polaris, much like Anya, Magneto's other daughter who is deceased, was conceived and existed apart from Wanda and Pietro. So a change in their status doesn't necessarily imply a change in Polaris' status.

There could be a story there, though, and they might pick it up somewhere in the world of the X-books.
    Last edited by Witchfan; 12-11-2014 at 11:32 AM.

BANNED

While I understand the resentment many have had with this decision I can honestly say and I said it before but I never saw much purpose to the Scarlet Witch blood ties to Magneto. If anything Marvel it made her an accessory to Magneto's baggage to while sacrificing her character to give us the the repetitive family dispute of "I hate you!" "Your a disappointment!" Plus I find it hilarious the anti Wanda fans are up in droves about this decision given how venomous their comments range from "She's scum, she's a traitor, and she's an equivalent of Hitler!" (That last part I made up.) As far as I'm concerned she's free no longer having to being shackled to Magneto in relation she's back to being her own independent hero. As to Lorna, I stopped caring for the X-men so why should I care how this effects her, now she gets to be the sole daughter of Magneto.

If my opinion enrages the majority and makes me a very hated individual I'm fan with that gives me a reason to keep looking over my shoulder further.

Extraordinary Member

I have the same reaction as you, stingnewell, because I hate what's been done with Wanda and Pietro since 2004, and a lot of the root of that is that writers can't seem to think of them as anything but "Magneto's children" A good (i.e. bad) example of this was Ultimates. Mark Millar soft-pedaled their relationship to Magneto and didn't make them obsessed with it all the time, but when Jeph Loeb took over he made both characters all about Magneto this, Magneto that. House of M, Disassembled, Son of M, even Pietro's arc in Avengers Academy: so much Magneto-centric nonsense. I find them more interesting than he is, and I certainly don't think they gained anything from being his children.

On the other hand, many people came to the characters from the X-Men cartoons, like Evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men, where their relationship to Magneto really did define them. Wolverine and the X-Men (along with House of M) is where the fandom of the Wanda/Lorna sibling relationship comes from, too. I don't blame people who like that family relationship to be upset at it being erased.

Personally I see this as a sign that Marvel finally will force writers to care about these two as something other than Magneto's offspring. But I can understand people being mad. If they can change this, what can't they change? I'll be unhappy, for example, if they simply say they were never mutants at all, because I think their status as the first mutant Avengers is important to them as well as to the history of the Avengers.

But back to Magneto, I actually find their relationship most interesting in the original version where they weren't his kids, but were just kids he plucked off the street and pressed into his terror gang. Mark Waid examined this era a little bit in Avengers 401, but few others have, because most writers are more sympathetic to Magneto.

Last edited by gurkle; 12-11-2014 at 10:04 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Yeah I get that, but Wanda went through her phase during Busiek's run where she re-embraced her roots. With Magda's retcon it still made them half by blood. Romani isn't a culture. They descend from India.
    The Romani are a culture. Some people of Romani descent are assimilated; some people have doubtless been assimilating into Romani culture. People can move both ways.

The parentage of the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver is still open to question. Wanda might well have made a mistake in interpretation. We may find out that waiting on chaos gods to do paternity tests was actually a mistake. It may well be that Magneto's Magda actually was the twins' mother, but that their father was someone else entirely. There may be more exotic possibilities still. What if the twins are products of the High Evolutionary's science modified by Magneto's mutant DNA, for instance?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I have the same reaction as you, stingnewell, because I hate what's been done with Wanda and Pietro since 2004, and a lot of the root of that is that writers can't seem to think of them as anything but "Magneto's children" A good (i.e. bad) example of this was Ultimates. Mark Millar soft-pedaled their relationship to Magneto and didn't make them obsessed with it all the time, but when Jeph Loeb took over he made both characters all about Magneto this, Magneto that. House of M, Disassembled, Son of M, even Pietro's arc in Avengers Academy: so much Magneto-centric nonsense. I find them more interesting than he is, and I certainly don't think they gained anything from being his children.

On the other hand, many people came to the characters from the X-Men cartoons, like Evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men, where their relationship to Magneto really did define them. Wolverine and the X-Men (along with House of M) is where the fandom of the Wanda/Lorna sibling relationship comes from, too. I don't blame people who like that family relationship to be upset at it being erased.

Personally I see this as a sign that Marvel finally will force writers to care about these two as something other than Magneto's offspring. But I can understand people being mad. If they can change this, what can't they change? I'll be unhappy, for example, if they simply say they were never mutants at all, because I think their status as the first mutant Avengers is important to them as well as to the history of the Avengers.

But back to Magneto, I actually find their relationship most interesting in the original version where they weren't his kids, but were just kids he plucked off the street and pressed into his terror gang. Mark Waid examined this era a little bit in Avengers 401, but few others have, because most writers are more sympathetic to Magneto.

Lets not forget when Magneto had her hypnotized than ordered her to dance for his amusement. Yup father of the year alright and fans were trying to convince me he's some kind os sympathetic figure, disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyMcDonald View Post
    The Romani are a culture. Some people of Romani descent are assimilated; some people have doubtless been assimilating into Romani culture. People can move both ways.

The parentage of the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver is still open to question. Wanda might well have made a mistake in interpretation. We may find out that waiting on chaos gods to do paternity tests was actually a mistake. It may well be that Magneto's Magda actually was the twins' mother, but that their father was someone else entirely. There may be more exotic possibilities still. What if the twins are products of the High Evolutionary's science modified by Magneto's mutant DNA, for instance?
    They are a race. This has been genetically proven. They descend from India.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 12-12-2014 at 12:26 AM.

stingnewell, & gurkle, that's pretty much how I feel about the situation. I doubt this is going to put a stop to writers defining Wanda and Pietro by their relationship to Magneto anytime soon, though, especially now that Mags has his title. I don't think writers will be able to resist the chance to woobifying him even further. Count on it being brought up for another decade, at least. If this new status quo even lasts that long, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Its hurt Wanda that writers didn't continue her view on him as Children's Crusade. Her viewing him as a flawed man in Children's Crusade was actual progress and made her look sympathetic. Her viewing him as a monster who ruined her life after Children's Crusade ended didn't help the character with her alternating between blaming her life's problems on either bad dad or former dad as it were or Doom.

Writers would be wise to follow the tact laid down in Children's Crusade of her looking forward and trying to build a better future.
    Well, they did manipulate her (several times, in magneto's case). I think it's perfectly understandable for Wanda to think of them as monsters. If people look at that and think Wanda is a generally unsympathetic character, that's their problem. I don't think Wanda needs to be perfect all the time, anyway; she's a complex character with complex emotions.
    Last edited by Saffron; 12-12-2014 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saffron View Post
    stingnewell, & gurkle, that's pretty much how I feel about the situation. I doubt this is going to put a stop to writers defining Wanda and Pietro by their relationship to Magneto anytime soon, though, especially now that Mags has his title. I don't think writers will be able to resist the chance to woobifying him even further. Count on it being brought up for another decade, at least. If this new status quo even lasts that long, that is.

Well, they did manipulate her (several times, in magneto's case). I think it's perfectly understandable for Wanda to think of them as monsters. If people look at that and think Wanda is a generally unsympathetic character, that's their problem. I don't think Wanda needs to be perfect all the time, anyway; she's a complex character with complex emotions.
    Aye, I didn't much care for over apologetic Wanda in Children's Crusade. It made perfect sense for that story. How else could you portray someone who'd just learned they'd caused so much grief? But by the end of AvX I was already tired of it.

Seeing her back to her firey self in Uncanny Avengers pretty much made me about as happy as any comic ever has.

As to this retcon sticking? I've been wanting to see this for a good long while, so I really hope it does. It's good for Wanda. It's good for Lorna (who will enjoy a higher profile now, being the sole focus of Magneto's attentions). I see more pros to this scenario, going forward than the single downside of never getting to mine the 'sisterhood'...which hasn't been a part of either of thier narratives thusfar (so it's a zero net loss, at worst).
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

How would it be good for Lorna if Mags is the reason you think they mess with Wanda so much?

It is good for the twins to not be related to someone that hurt them so much. As long as they preserve as much as they can about the twins. But I doubt it'll lead to them not using Wanda as a plot device.

I like that she has her fiery attitude, but she doesn't have it as a win. It's usually countered with some abuse on her. She's been controlled by the Red Skull, stabbed twice (which lead to her being out of the book for 6 months), punched, used as a plot device to create Planet X. There's the Simon thing.. bleh. Then the plot device thing has followed into AXIS with her being partially a catalyst for the inversion. I can't agree that UA or AXIS has been positive for her.

They need to get her back to having better control over her powers, with her fiery attitude. And back on the main team. :P