Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I'm not sure I think Fraction also did some writing on The Mandarin in some Ironman comics right?
    He did. I believe he gave the Mandarin a daughter during his run who's also the granddaughter of Justin Hammer. Shang's sister in the movie is loosely based on her.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    A couple of questions walking out of the movie I had were:

1.) currently in the comics Shang-Chi's father is known as Zhen Zu. Was his name changed to Wenwu in the movie due to a creative decision or was it so they wouldn't have to consider paying out royalties to Ed Brubaker, who created the name?

2.) I also noticed that Matt Fraction was thanked in the end credits. I'm going to go ahead and guess that was because Ta Lo was inspired in part by his run on Iron Fist? I don't think Fraction has ever worked on Shang-Chi before, but I could be wrong.
    Tai Lo is from Thor comics. It was the home of the Chinese pantheon in those stories.

I don't remember if it showed up again in the Matt Fraction Iron Fist run.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    He did. I believe he gave the Mandarin a daughter during his run who's also the granddaughter of Justin Hammer. Shang's sister in the movie is loosely based on her.
    Ok redefining the Mandarin and adding the prototype for the daughter are probably why he gets a special thanks. Judging by the Hawkeye trailer he gonna get a special thanks at the end of every episode there. Hopefully they equals money in some way.

I watched this video essay about how disappointed this guy was with the film not capturing the feeling of Asian Americans being perpetual outsiders.

Interesting listen

I watched this video essay about how disappointed this guy was with the film not capturing the feeling of Asian Americans being perpetual outsiders.

Interesting listen
    It's a freaking big fantasy action adventure, not an essay on the Asian American experience.
    What's next, Winter Soldier didn't address the Military Industrial Complex?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It's a freaking big fantasy action adventure, not an essay on the Asian American experience.
    What's next, Winter Soldier didn't address the Military Industrial Complex?
    When the movie was in San Fran in did depict a little bit of that experience. I don't blame the guy with being disappointed that the movie didn't go all the way with it.

When the movie was in San Fran in did depict a little bit of that experience. I don't blame the guy with being disappointed that the movie didn't go all the way with it.
    That is not what the movie was about. Why didn't Ant-Man deal more with ex-convict recidivism? Why didn't Captain Marvel deal with sexual assault in the Military? Why didn't Iron-Man deal with living with heart disease? Why didn't Thor deal with the prejudice woman face in the scientific grant arena? Why didn't Dr. Strange deal with malpractice insurance.

This was a big, fun movie that is a big hit, and it is almost entirely Asian, that is cause for celebration, not a dissection of it's portrayal of the Asian American experience as if it were a documentary.

How would the movie have gone "all the way with it" and still been a big fantasy romp? It wasn't suppose to be Minuri.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 09-19-2021 at 09:05 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Interesting listen
    Accented Cinema is a truly great YouTube channel. Often watch the content. There's an elegant, insightful, and genuine approach to the videos which highlight a lot of aspects of cinema, particularly in East Asia, and especially in China. Check out the videos regarding Jackie Chan, the references in Kung Fu Hustle, Journey to the West, and Bruce Lee.

As for my thoughts on the video, here's what I wrote in the Shang-Chi Appreciation thread:

"Watched it twice now and find it to be nuanced and informative. Now, there are certainly parts that are huge aspects of Chinese-American and Asian-American history. I'm glad that the clip highlighted Anna May Wong, Vincent Chin, George Takei, and the atrocities that were committed against the Chinese in America during the 19th century. To be fair, the author is very complimentary of the film. The characters are humanized and the first act of the film touches on those aspects of Asian-American culture. Furthermore, there's nothing wrong with wanting to get in touch with one's background. But the criticism that the movie uses this otherness of a mystical idealized form of China and in so doing contributes to the perpetual foreigner trope, I'm not too sure. Did Shang-Chi and Katy have an "otherness" by fighting the Mandarin in a mystical Asian land? I think the humanization and grounded performance kept it from going into that territory. Also, that tension between obeying one's parent and carving your own path which was prevalent in the movie, that's an issue many Asian-Americans face. In that sense, there is a tension between the "Asian" and the "American."

Aside from that, I liked the clip. It highlighted aspects of the fight choreography. I was iffy on the choreography and thought it wasn't as clear as it could have been. BUT, Accented Cinema pointed out aspects that I didn't consider. So yeah, this clip, makes me want to see the film again."
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Accented Cinema is a truly great YouTube channel. Often watch the content. There's an elegant, insightful, and genuine approach to the videos which highlight a lot of aspects of cinema, particularly in East Asia, and especially in China. Check out the videos regarding Jackie Chan, the references in Kung Fu Hustle, Journey to the West, and Bruce Lee.
    His videos occasionally pop on my youtube feed. I watch his videos on the IP Man movies and they were very insightful.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I don't think they are gonna keep Hulk in a sling. My guess if he will unravel at some point and the re-emergence of a less intelligent but stronger Hulk will heal his arm.
    Funny thing in the comics the Merged/Professor was once practically skinned by the U-Foe Vector and healed within seconds (Well, with the exception of his pants).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I just saw the movie, so I finally got to read through this thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    I don't understand why they needed to take the Mandarin name, then have the villian not use it, then change the entire way the rings work, and then have this immortal bad but villian basically just be a misunderstood dad... what was the point?
    I think "The Mandarin" might have been a good name for a writer to give a villain back when overt racism was more acceptable, but it makes little sense for someone to give themselves that name. Also, I like how they interpreted the rings. The comics version had ten rings, each with a different ray - which would have made the character OP or just make action scenes busy and confusing. They were also "point and shoot" weapons and I appreciate them reinterpreting the rings in a way that enhanced the martial arts action scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Anybody notice Blonsky's blue shorts, just like in the old comics?
    They are almost as iconic as Hulk's purple pants!
    Hell yeah, I did! Also love the batwing-ears! I was confused though about what was happening between Wong and 'Bom. It seemed like they were friends, so why were they fighting? Where did Wong teleport them to after their bout? (and does Bruce know about it? He's right there in that midroll scene with Wong so they're all in touch...)

I thought the action scenes were very well done, the fight in the bus was fantastic and the only complaint I have with the scaffolding fight was the night time made it hard to see at times (or maybe that is just my tired old eyes)
    The final battle was good to, especially the father/son fight. Whatever you think of it ending with a Kaiju battle, it looked pretty good.
    Wonderful casting of two great Chinese stars with Michele Yeoh and Tony Leung.
    -- I agree about the overuse of CGI dragons at the end, but it seems a lot of people felt the same.
    -- I also thought the scaffold fight scene was a little muddy. Y'know, there are surprisingly many scaffolding fight scenes now that I think about it - from various martial arts movies to Zorro and Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins ... a lot of history there.
    -- FYI, Michelle Yeoh is Malaysian. (she's a former "Miss Malaysia")

I didn't watch the video so I can't comment on it, but I thought this film did do a good job of portraying other aspects of Asian-American identity and in particular, his feeling of alienation from himself. This film went for the more personal dilemma rather than address a societal one. (which most superhero movies tend to do since it's meant to be light-hearted entertainment) Sometimes you have to pick your battles.

I did not know that about Yeoh. Thanks jack.

Spectacular Member

That is not what the movie was about. Why didn't Ant-Man deal more with ex-convict recidivism? Why didn't Captain Marvel deal with sexual assault in the Military? Why didn't Iron-Man deal with living with heart disease? Why didn't Thor deal with the prejudice woman face in the scientific grant arena? Why didn't Dr. Strange deal with malpractice insurance.

This was a big, fun movie that is a big hit, and it is almost entirely Asian, that is cause for celebration, not a dissection of it's portrayal of the Asian American experience as if it were a documentary.

How would the movie have gone "all the way with it" and still been a big fantasy romp? It wasn't suppose to be Minuri.
    Was there a sexual assault in the Captain Marvel move? Or is this in reference to that comic arc?

Yeah, I think this film did a good job of incorporating those types of elements without making it about those things. I'm not necessarily opposed to a film (and specifically a Marvel film) handling any of those issues, but I don't think there is a per se need or value to doing it. It just makes it a different story.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Thank you. Same here.

My fiance and I watched the movie because we didn't get tickets for The Suicide Squad (I would have just bought it on BluRay) and we both had an unexpected great time. I think the movie used Asian (Asian-American?) culture & folklore awesome-y for a Disney movie and hope to see much more of the characters Shang, Katy and even Trevor.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 09-22-2021 at 06:53 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I give it a 7.

I was really enjoying it up until the last 20 minutes. Then it went from Crouching Tiger to your standard superhero CGI outing.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor