Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings *Spoilers*

I saw this film today and honestly I don't truly really know how I feel. I may wait for days before I grade it. I thought the movie was sometimes good, then bad, then okay wtf is going on and then alright this is fun.

The closest resemblance the film has to an MCU film is maybe Black Panther. However I felt in some areas the story did do more than black panther in establishing the broken family dynamic , however I felt black panther as a movie was a lot smoother and tighter.

The third arc is where things really falls apart. it felt like another different movie entirely . I don't know what were the point of the dragons and additionally more could have been done in story with Shang CHI's dad and his wife. the story was quite muddled. I am also wondering maybe Disney was trying to drag in Mulan also.

As for the CGI, I went in knowing there were already issues and not to my surprise, the CGI was pretty bad and sometimes it just did not feel like a live action film. I was sitting in cinema watching it with my sister and we were both whispering to ourselves that Deanery's Dragons from Game of Thrones looked far more realistic than the Dragons in this movie. I also mentioned, other dragons like Smaug from the Lord of the rings series. I wish the movie just left out the third arc completely. it was very computer generated to the point the characters almost disappeared . Add the tramp-train scenes too.

Also, the movie lacked realism, the fight scenes outside Shang CHI sister's club was beyond ridiculous, they were fighting outside a tall buildings sort of balcony with only planks and woods as a base , and the characters just kept on going with the fighting flow with no sense of fear or danger. this was the same issue with Black Widow in some scenes. to have this human characters doing amazing feats in in-human situations and not getting hurt or even scared.

There are some positive though Simi Liu and Awkwafina actually carried the film and were very likeable characters, Awkwafina is almost like a less annoying version of Darcy from the Thor films and I disagree with Grace Randolph, who said the movie was as ''funny'' as Thor Ragnarok.

Lastly about the post credit scenes. eh, I think this generation tends to overhype stuff it is becoming painful. the post credit scene just had Captain Marvel and Bruce Banner chatting with Shang and Katy about the rings function and Wong kind of welcoming them to the MCU. I don't know why that is making some people very hyped up , going as far as to call it the best post credit scene ever? perhaps I am too old now for this twitter age alright. Can someone tell me what I am missing here about the awesomeness of this post credit scene. Iron Man's 1 post credit scene is still the best to me.

Overall I am mixed on the film, I am still trying to decide if the characters and some good aspect of the plot carried the film enough to drown out the negative aspect. I will wait till a few more days to grade and decide.
    Last edited by Castle; 09-07-2021 at 12:59 AM.

Mighty Member

I saw it today and really enjoyed it. The only problem I had with it was Katy being the one to shoot the Dweller in Darkness. After a day of archery practice she should be lucky to hit the broad side of a barn. If they wanted her to be relevant in combat they should have given her some skills beforehand. But aside from that eye roll inducing moment I had a great time.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I watched it today and enjoyed it. Way better than expected.

Shang sister taking over the family business. She must have clearly lie about dismantling the ten rings. I'm intrigued with them seemingly becoming a global street gang.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    I saw it today and really enjoyed it. The only problem I had with it was Katy being the one to shoot the Dweller in Darkness. After a day of archery practice she should be lucky to hit the broad side of a barn. If they wanted her to be relevant in combat they should have given her some skills beforehand. But aside from that eye roll inducing moment I had a great time.
    I had no problem with that in the context of the story.

It was a lucky shot that worked. Katy earned it because all she wanted to do was genuinely help Shang, as a friend and she got to do so, in a way that really mattered.

She or the movie was not claiming she became an expert in archery just after one day, I trust this is why her trainer even told her, don't just die, when she decided to join the battle against his wishes. However as I said, she was there to help because she was a friend and sometimes friends tends to bring a lot of luck.
    Last edited by Castle; 09-04-2021 at 04:21 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I had no problem with that in the context of the story.

It was a lucky shot that worked. Katy earned it because all she wanted to do was genuinely help Shang, as a friend and she got to do so, in a way that really mattered.

She or the movie was not claiming she became an expert in archery just after one day, I trust this is why her trainer even told her, don't just die, when she decided to join the battle against his wishes. However as I said, she was there to help because she was a friend and sometimes friends tends to bring a lot of luck.
    It was a super human shot considering the range and that it was going up and fighting gravity. I am not certain if there is anyone in the real world who could make such a shot. In the context of the movie it needed to be made by one of the martial artists from the village like the aunt. That would have been believable in universe since highly skilled normals can perform superhuman feats there like Hawkeye. But a valet because she wanted to help, nope, makes no sense at all.

I don't know if anyone else felt this way but I was really hoping that Ta Lo was K'un-L'un. His mom acted and wore the colors of an Iron Fist. I wanted to believe

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I don't know if anyone else felt this way but I was really hoping that Ta Lo was K'un-L'un. His mom acted and wore the colors of an Iron Fist. I wanted to believe
    I felt like there should have been a shout out to K'un Lun here. It was hovering around Ta Lo the whole time, just an acknowledgement of the OTHER mystical Asian city in the MCU.

As for my thoughts, they have been posted on other threads here. Simply put, there were things that could have been improved, like pacing and fighting. BUT, I still liked the movie. Honestly, I cried several times throughout it. Yeah the pacing was a little too quick, but there were still some great character moments from everyone. The fighting could be a little difficult to discern, but it wasn't WTF Jason Bourne stuff. There were several moments when that action was cool, even the more fantastic stuff towards the end. Thinking it over, I appreciate how the movie portrayed the Mandarin. He could have easily become another megalomaniac who wants to do bad things, a la Ronan or Ultron. Instead, we see a man who's motivated by love, for his wife and family.

With Covid cases rising, I'm a little hesitant to see it again. Still, it should be streaming on Disney Plus come October. Definitely will be watching it again then.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I felt like there should have been a shout out to K'un Lun here. It was hovering around Ta Lo the whole time, just an acknowledgement of the OTHER mystical Asian city in the MCU.
    Shang Aunt did say that Ta Lo had it's own cities. Hopefully that will open the door for the heavenly cities. I like to think that the sumo wrestler at the fight club was Fat Cobra

I asked if she was an Iron Fist....

I don't understand why they needed to take the Mandarin name, then have the villian not use it, then change the entire way the rings work, and then have this immortal bad but villian basically just be a misunderstood dad... what was the point?

It almost seemed like they just wanted to have Ben Kingsly make us laugh...
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Shang Aunt did say that Ta Lo had it's own cities. Hopefully that will open the door for the heavenly cities. I like to think that the sumo wrestler at the fight club was Fat Cobra
    oh and didn;t someone in there glow red? is that a super power I missed?
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    oh and didn;t someone in there glow red? is that a super power I missed?
    The person glowing red was using Extremis. Said person was fighting a Black Widow.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    I asked if she was an Iron Fist....

I don't understand why they needed to take the Mandarin name, then have the villian not use it, then change the entire way the rings work, and then have this immortal bad but villian basically just be a misunderstood dad... what was the point?

It almost seemed like they just wanted to have Ben Kingsly make us laugh...
    The Mandarin character has always been problematic for the MCU due to the racist overtones. That's why they didn't commit to him in Iron Man 3, and made The Mandarin a fake character being played by an actor.

Here, at least, they attempted to... well, modernize the character. The Mandarin just became a name that wasn't even his. And it was a new take on the character that I happen to think was better.

As for the rings- I'm wondering if Marvel is just thinking that sometime soon, there's going to be a Green Lantern movie or show, and they were leery of using power rings. I had no problem with the change, and I liked how both Wenwu and Shang-Chi used them in a variety of different ways.

And that was exactly why Ben Kingsley was there. He was comic relief.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    It was a super human shot considering the range and that it was going up and fighting gravity. I am not certain if there is anyone in the real world who could make such a shot. In the context of the movie it needed to be made by one of the martial artists from the village like the aunt. That would have been believable in universe since highly skilled normals can perform superhuman feats there like Hawkeye. But a valet because she wanted to help, nope, makes no sense at all.
    We would just have to agree to disagree. you think her shooting the dweller and hitting him by luck and even to Katy's own surprise was superhuman and not the fight scenes outside the nightclub building where any one minute they could easily have fallen high to their deaths. that to me was the most super human unrealistic thing in the movie. okay.

BANNED

I don't know anything about the Iron Fist show or even the comics, Also I doubt Feige will want to drag in Iron Fist seeing how the series turned out.

The only link of connection I thought of about watching the movie that will be very MCU was Jubilee Lee from X-MEN. Good chance they could link Jubilee (mutant) as a relative of Shang CHI.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    We would just have to agree to disagree. you think her shooting the dweller and hitting him by luck and even to Katy's own surprise was superhuman and not the fight scenes outside the nightclub building where any one minute they could easily have fallen high to their deaths. that to me was the most super human unrealistic thing in the movie. okay.
    Two different things, in a super hero movie we accept that supposedly normal humans can perform super human feats because of years of training that is Shang Chi his family and the Ten Rings. The villagers had training and magic. Katy had nothing but a plot contrivance.