Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    It's amusing to see a high caliber actor like Ben Kingsley play comic relief.

Even in the comics they've tried to modernize Mandarin multiple times but nothing has ever really stuck. I think giving Mandarin to Shang Chi is for the best and it ultimately benefited both characters.
    I am glad they didn't make him evil businessman #4583784 or just a complete copy of the comic book character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_longbow#Range

The record range is 412 meters and that was on a range not at something in the air. It was a super human shot.
    Take it from a person, who objectively favours it when comic films are more grounded but you are really reading too much here. Katy's took the shot on probability. probability is not impossibility and You are implying she should have missed by the grounds of impossibility which in itself becomes wrong on default since archery is not really created on the ground of impossibility. Archery requires, natural talent, constant practice and yes luck. The movie laid the grounds that Katy may have all these 3 qualities even for 1-2 days.
    Last edited by Castle; 09-06-2021 at 07:49 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post

There was a bit of a ''throw-it-all-in'' attitude to this film, which sometimes makes for a messy narrative, but here it all came together as an entertaining whole. We had the bus fight, a Macau fight-club with superhuman fighters, a magical forest and a mystical village with two dragon-like creatures duking it out and it all felt like it belonged together.

Tony Leung is definitely the MVP of the film as Wenwu (I won't call him the Mandarin because the film makes it clear that he isn't that). He's basically the generic super-villain/crime-boss/terrorist character on paper, but then the narrative works extra hard to make him...a three-dimensional, sympathetic character. He may have the rings, but a greater contrast to the moustache-twirling Mandarin from the 90's Iron Man cartoons can scarecely be imagined!

The throw it all in is where the movie does take a down punch. Reason I said, its like the movie went sometimes from your typical MCU film to Mulan and maybe you can add some big trouble in little china now, because it really got all over the place and this is when I realize the dragon fight was more about doing kind of like a country tribute. however that had nothing to do with the primary story at all and it would have worked in maybe an Extended director's cut movie.

Black Panther was better at trying to celebrate many African cultural history in a way that did not loose the main plot of the story. Shang CHI just kind of got lost with trying to fuse in many Chinese culture history and the story just got lost in it

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Take it from a person, who objectively favours it when comic films are more grounded but you are really reading too much here. Katy's took the shot on probability. probability is not impossibility and You are implying she should have missed by the grounds of impossibility which in itself becomes wrong on default since archery is not really created on the ground of impossibility. Archery requires, natural talent, constant practice and yes luck. The movie laid the grounds that Katy may have all these 3 qualities even for 1-2 days.
    No, you could be shooting at Godzilla but if you cannot get your arrow that far you won’t hit regardless. That was the situation in the movie.

Went to the movies yesterday all by myself. I absolutely loved everything about it. The end credits were awesome.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Fantastic movie, I might rank this above Black Panther? The fighting scenes were exceptionally well done and I enjoyed the family plot. I don’t know if a second watch might change my opinion though. Certainly I felt this needed to be watched at the cinema far more than I did with Black Widow. Really hoping things stay okay for both Eternals and Spider-Man.

Can I also say that I loved they didn’t throw in a romance sub-plot in for the sake of it? I honestly hope they keep Shang and Katie as BFFs, they really work that way. Movies really need more platonic opposite sex friendships.
    Last edited by Derek Metaltron; 09-06-2021 at 08:49 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post

Can I also say that I loved they didn’t throw in a romance sub-plot in for the sake of it? I honestly hope they keep Shang and Katie as BFFs, they really work that way. Movies really need more platonic opposite sex friendships.
    Same. It was actually very refreshing to see something like that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    The throw it all in is where the movie does take a down punch. Reason I said, its like the movie went sometimes from your typical MCU film to Mulan and maybe you can add some big trouble in little china now, because it really got all over the place and this is when I realize the dragon fight was more about doing kind of like a country tribute. however that had nothing to do with the primary story at all and it would have worked in maybe an Extended director's cut movie.

Black Panther was better at trying to celebrate many African cultural history in a way that did not loose the main plot of the story. Shang CHI just kind of got lost with trying to fuse in many Chinese culture history and the story just got lost in it
    But I don't think they lost the main plot of the story at all! It's not like we took a detour to have a random subplot. The story is pretty linear (flashbacks notwithstanding) - it's about Shang-Chi's journey back to China, to ultimately discover his mother's village and stop his father's misguided plot to breach the gateway. Everything that happens, from the bus fight, to the fight club, to even Trevor Slattery, is in service of that journey.

Fantastic movie, I might rank this above Black Panther? The fighting scenes were exceptionally well done and I enjoyed the family plot. I don’t know if a second watch might change my opinion though. Certainly I felt this needed to be watched at the cinema far more than I did with Black Widow. Really hoping things stay okay for both Eternals and Spider-Man.

Funny...I got the impression that Shang and Katy were a couple by the end of the film, even if they don't make a big deal about it.

The thing that has me confused is why Wong invited Katy to come to the Sanctum. Unless she kept the dragon scale bow and arrows she doesn't really have anything to contribute.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The thing that has me confused is why Wong invited Katy to come to the Sanctum. Unless she kept the dragon scale bow and arrows she doesn't really have anything to contribute.
    Were they in the Sanctum? Looked more like the Ancient One’s old temple (which I believe still exists). Makes me wonder if Wong does things that Strange doesn’t know about. Love the new look of Bruce incidentally, looks like the arm injury might be permanent.

I also am bemused about the idea Wong might have let Blonsky out of the Raft just to have a spar with him. Looks like he even went along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    I thought those crossbows were firing real bolts that were deflected. Of course guns would have been better ...
    They were firing some kind of energy binders that wapped around their targets and shocked them. Later on, when the two sides teamed up against the shadow demons, the Ten Rings fighters cut them off of the villagers to free them.

WLove the new look of Bruce incidentally, looks like the arm injury might be permanent.
    It didn't hit me until much later- Bruce was back in human form, not in Smart Hulk form. Which is confusing to me, as I thought he had made peace with both sides, which was why he was Smart Hulk and not just Puny Banner. I wonder if we'll get an explanation in She-Hulk.

Anybody notice Blonsky's blue shorts, just like in the old comics?
    They are almost as iconic as Hulk's purple pants!
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I can see Wong being Strange's liason to the Avengers/Wider superhero community while Strange makes up lost time dealing with whatever mystical crisis's might've begun during those 5 years he was away.

For some reason, I have a memory gap regarding the mid-credit scene.
    Was that beacon they were referring to accessed by the rings, or by something else?
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    For some reason, I have a memory gap regarding the mid-credit scene.
    Was that beacon they were referring to accessed by the rings, or by something else?
    The rings is sending a beacon.