Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

There's a lesson to be learned here. This reviewer from the New York Times made a comment about the movie having "superficial markers of Asian culture". Asian American has come in drones to educate this person.
    https://twitter.com/mayabphillips/st...27760533364743

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    There's a lesson to be learned here. This reviewer from the New York Times made a comment about the movie having "superficial markers of Asian culture". Asian American has come in drones to educate this person.
    F-to-the-yeah.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Are the rings multi-dimensional? The beacon almost looked like the multiverse strands in IW/Endgame/Loki.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    Yea I loved the movie as well solid 9/10. My only issue is the ending battle suddenly feeling like a weird mix of Pokemon and Tekken. But the story, characters (Simu Liu & Awkwafina are great) , fight scenes were fantastic. I would have loved to have seen tony leung go up against RDJ Tony/ Iron man as the real mandarin in an Iron man movie. BIG missed opportunity there. The post credits scenes set up some interesting things for the MCU going forward as well.

One question though, are they setting up Abomination to be a good guy or anti hero now? He is training with Wong and the way Wong talks to him seems to be on somewhat friendly terms. Plus he doesn't act like the Abomination from the 2008 movie who would be out for revenge and destruction. Also, I guess the She-Hulk show will explain Bruce's change back into his normal self instead of professor Hulk.
    It appeared Wong was taking Emil back and forth from a prison cell. So either this is Valentinas Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts. Or Wong just Sneaks him in and out of the raft. As far as them getting along. Maybe thats the deal. Wong gets him out if jail for a little bit and he behaves. They make some money and have some fun, then he takes him back. Tim Roth was involved in this movie apparently so iono why they didn't have him talk. Guess we gotta wait for She Hulk. But getting out of jail if you have been locked up for 12 years might be a good motivation to behave and even be grateful/Friendly to Wong.

Ultimate Member

Good.

If one doesn't really understand other people's cultural depictions, then they should the f-up about it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    The plot was not lost in the third act, you could argue it was dragged out or not to your liking, but it was still mapped out throughout the story. And it helped to expand the power of the ten rings and the world of Ta Lo.
    Nahh, I feel it did, and this one of two parts that many critics got right. dragging is also a another term for loosing the plot. I think the problem was that, the movie was trying to thick the box that every modern comic book film needs a big cgi sequence, however in this film it felt just like that purpose, making the movie quite superficial.

I saw the film with my family including my mum, my mum is more of a drama film person and rarely is a fan of movies that require big cgi, when the film was gong on, she got all the family issues, however by the last act she quite bored and confused on what was going on and that is another way if saying, the 3rd act does not really have any story.

Additionally going back to other MCU movies, the 3rd act between Ying Nan fighters and Xu Wenwu fighters is black panther 2.0 with Killmonger fighters and Black Panther fighters. I mean MCU really has just one-two kind of screen plays they use in all their films that has now become extremely noticeable to any screen writer . However unlike black panther, the 3rd act did not need to drag itself to just a big cgi set piece that added nothing much to the story and was trying to unsmoothly mesh up another genre as I did think of Chronicles of Narnia at times when they arrived at Ying Nan's place. However, this is the reason I also said in my first post, Black Panther as a film was tighter since sometimes it felt like this Shang Chi was trying to be different things.

Cases like this are always going to draw out many different response from Asians, that been said, there is a reason they choose an Asian film maker to direct the film, it feels more appropriate even if the film maker is still making first and foremost an MCU movie in comparison to Ang Lee making Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

I heard the movie is not been released in china and I am too tired to get into a deep research to why. Surely it cannot be because of the pandemic?
    Last edited by Castle; 09-07-2021 at 02:18 PM.

Saw it today. Loved it. It was more a Chinese type fantasy film than an MCU film, which is a good thing, I love the variety in the MCU.
    I only know the original series, and this only has some tangential similarities. So unless there was a more recent series that changed who he was, this was a pretty complete re-invention of the comic. I have no problem with that. The original series was more a spy book, and this like a Chinese Kung Fu/Sorcery movie.
    I thought the CGI was first rate. I particularly liked the beasts. It was as good as Fantasic Beasts AWTFT.

So it's "Shaung Sche" which I have always mispronounced as "ShAng ChE".
    Last edited by Kirby101; 09-07-2021 at 02:10 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

It could easily go spy.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I heard the movie is not been released in china and I am too tired to get into a deep research to why. Surely it cannot be because of the pandemic?
    Following the Hong Kong protests and COVID reactions I think China is significantly cracking down on any influences from the west in their entertainment. Ironic since China has been a big cash option for Hollywood over recent years (for example getting exclusive content in Iron Man 3) but with current situations that's more likely to dry up.

***SPOILERS THROUGH OUT***

Eh. It was ok. Pretty good.

It starts off really well, the bus and scaffolding fights scenes are amazing, but to me half way through it introduces too many different elements (The village, the faceless monkey-turkey, Trevor [the whole Iron Man 3 fix could've been handled in a piece of dialogue]) and spins out.

The lead character has a goal, but no real character arc. The minor one he does have seems underwhelming and unearned (he has a secret, he tells it, that's it). I'm not even sure what he got for it. The vague powers his mother had?

You know he's not going to kill his dad, but even if he were, he never gets to because the dad just dies. The dad doesn't sacrifice himself, and Shang Chi seems to just get the rings because his father dies and drops them.

The movie also has a strong vein of "Trinity syndrome" as both female leads are more interesting, and the sister is just as worthy as Shang of having the 10 Rings as Shang.

Thematically the 2nd half a mess. The whole thing with Katy is she's not driven, she's trying to find her drive, she loves driving and is amazing at it, and....she learns archery? Why not have her drive the dragon? A dragon that comes out of nowhere. Why was he at the bottom of the lake? Why did he awaken for Shang Chi and not when the portal started getting destroyed? Over all, what did Shang Chi learn? How did he change from the beginning of the film?

Then there were "Pitch Meeting" type plot holes that take place in most movies: Producer: "Wait. They've been guarding this portal for centuries, but there's not even one guard posted by it during a time they know it's being attacked?" Writer: "That's what we're going with".

It feels like they filmed the first draft of the script. But whether it's me going soft on mediocrity as I age or that studios are getting really good at generically hitting plot points with the allusion of depth, this joins "Rise of Skywalker", "Toy Story 4", and "Wonder Woman 1984" on the growing pool of films I finish watching and say "Well, that was pretty fun. I'll never watch it again though."

I'd put it as not as good as "Black Widow" but better than the fist "Thor". Nowhere near 'Black Panther".

But's that's just my opinion.

***END SPOILERS***
    Last edited by edpower; 09-07-2021 at 02:12 PM.
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    It could easily go spy.
    For the sequel, yeah. Though I hope it is not just him against his sister. The series was a mix of Fu Manchu and 007. I want them to keep the magic elements.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I think it's pretty clear the sequel is gonna be Fin Fang Foom and his species. Though some spy stuff would be fun. Ten Rings could be a Disney Plus show, alongside similar things with the Widows, New Asgard, Wakanda and Atlantis.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post

There's a laundry list of reasons why. The leads being "unattractive" by Chinese beauty standards, the use of Mandarin even with the character revamp China still sees as a yellow peril character, being a western view of Chinese culture, and likely a load more of other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I think it's pretty clear the sequel is gonna be Fin Fang Foom and his species. Though some spy stuff would be fun. Ten Rings could be a Disney Plus show, alongside similar things with the Widows, New Asgard, Wakanda and Atlantis.
    What makes you think that? Other than there is a dragon in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    What makes you think that? Other than there is a dragon in this.
    The technology of the Ten Rings is connected to the species that Fin Fang is one part of. CBR mentioned this in a recent video I believe.