Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    More so... what ethnicity would Kurt be if not for that? What would Mystique and Azazel look like as normal Humans?
    Kurt Really si a withe man.

Mystique has already seen herself as she is with her powers nullified, and she is a white and red-haired woman

I think Kurt is one of those character that can offer far more by still being German and white but having been born blue. What does it say when your born in a country with such history and for all intents and purposes you are german but you were born blue. In that respect he can offer a different insight on discrimination in a lot of ways which is far different from someone like Beast who became blue because he wanted to change who he fundamentally was. Also with kurt looking so much like a demon it also can offer such a deep perspective. I don't feel we still have scractched the surface of the psychological trauma someone like kurt has to face.

Like i may be black but i can only imagine what i would be like in my commnunity, any community if i came out looking like a blue demon.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    Kurt Really si a withe man.

Mystique has already seen herself as she is with her powers nullified, and she is a white and red-haired woman
    Actually, no, Kurt is a blue man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Actually, no, Kurt is a blue man.

Lol ����������. Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    She's pretty consistently been depicted as Caucasian in the books, with quite fair skin. The surname Kinney is Gaelic, of either Irish, Scottish, or Welsh origin, and black hair with fair skin like Laura's is often associated with Celtic peoples.

I agree that the change did work in Logan, but I think a lot had to do with the quality of Dafne Keen's performance and really owning and selling the role (although prior to Keen's casting, I'd thought India Eisley would have been almost spot-on casting for book-accurate appearance).
    She was darker skinned when she first appeared in the X-men: Evolution cartoon, though. In fact, I thought she was Hispanic in that cartoon…

… and also thought that perhaps Mangold took his inspiration for her in the film from her first appearance in X-men: Evolution.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    She was darker skinned when she first appeared in the X-men: Evolution cartoon, though. In fact, I thought she was Hispanic in that cartoon…

… and also thought that perhaps Mangold took his inspiration for her in the film from her first appearance in X-men: Evolution.
    I believe that Kyle and Yost did that as a nod to the model they used as reference. The problem is it doesn't make sense given what Risman says about her creation in the episode. With Logan it works because there's explicitly another source of DNA (her unknown Mexican mother). And while Book Laura started as the same origin as Evolution, (duplicating the existing X chromosome) it's since been retconned that Sarah used her own DNA to fill out the sample, which explains why Laura is pretty much always drawn as Sarah's Mini-Me whenever they're shown together (confirmed by her aunt remarking how much like Sarah she looks in Target X). Ironically, Evolution is the only one that never got retconned or mentioned another DNA source being used, and yet she's probably the one who looks the LEAST like Logan (or his mother, if you want to be technical).
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 09-08-2021 at 08:01 AM.

Yeah, but if Sarah Kinney did use her DNA and spliced it in to fill out the sample, and if she was of Hispanic origin or partially Hispanic… then it follows that Laura could be in the comics as well, no?

I know that it’s never been stated that Sarah Kinney is/was Hispanic, but it’s never been stated that she’s not either to my knowledge. Just a thought.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Yeah, but if Sarah Kinney did use her DNA and spliced it in to fill out the sample, and if she was of Hispanic origin or partially Hispanic… then it follows that Laura could be in the comics as well, no?

I know that it’s never been stated that Sarah Kinney is/was Hispanic, but it’s never been stated that she’s not either to my knowledge. Just a thought.
    In which case all we've really got to go by is artwork. There's also the fact her sister has a blonde and green-eyed daughter.

In which case all we've really got to go by is artwork. There's also the fact her sister has a blonde and green-eyed daughter.
    I should add, there are also Hispanic people who are Caucasian ... and even those who are of mixed race, can also give blond children with green eyes if any ancestor is blond, or there is also the fact that their partner is a Caucasian and she of mixed race.

That the sister gave a blonde daughter with green eyes does not exclude that they may be Latinas of mixed race.

But in any case Laura has always seemed to me in comics that she is exactly the same as Logan, speaking of ethnicity, only that she is not ugly like him, and has green eyes instead of blue.

But on the other hand the first official appearance of her in Evolution, she clearly seemed a Latin girl with the mixture of the three races to a greater extent, in fact I would say that not that Laura in Evolution looked like a young indigenous woman from Central or South America.

Clearly that was modified when it was introduced in the comics.

In the old Logan movie she was also half Latina, but this time a Caucasian Latina hehe.

I know that there are Caucasian and black Latinos, but my point was a Latino representation, which is the highest percentage, that is, basically a mixture of three indigenous black and white races.
    or if more indigenous representation is either Native Americans or from Central or South America.

That's what I meant, and in the MCU basically the real Latin representation is non-existent, I think they only have Zoe Saldana at the moment.
    Well, as one person explained it to me, Why do Spaniards(IE people from Spain) not count as "Hispanic"?

Because Hispanics were created by the Conquistadors "mingling" with the various Native American groups. Some look "white" because they take after their Spanish ancestry more than the native side. "Black" Latinos come from further mixing with other groups, since none of the Native American groups has skin that dark.
    I believe that Kyle and Yost did that as a nod to the model they used as reference. The problem is it doesn't make sense given what Risman says about her creation in the episode. With Logan it works because there's explicitly another source of DNA (her unknown Mexican mother). And while Book Laura started as the same origin as Evolution, (duplicating the existing X chromosome) it's since been retconned that Sarah used her own DNA to fill out the sample, which explains why Laura is pretty much always drawn as Sarah's Mini-Me whenever they're shown together (confirmed by her aunt remarking how much like Sarah she looks in Target X). Ironically, Evolution is the only one that never got retconned or mentioned another DNA source being used, and yet she's probably the one who looks the LEAST like Logan (or his mother, if you want to be technical).
    I feel the need to point out that Dr. Risman has the same shade of skin as X-23 in Evolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    If he’d been born without the blue, I suspect he would be caucasion, but his parents ethnicity is basically just ’fantasy’. And his upbringing is Roma.
    But he doesn’t get white privildge.

When he was created, Len, Chris and Dave were also aware that just being German was also problematic (like Peter being Russian) as ‘75 is much closer to the end of WWII than we are now.

Attachment 113515
    Even today some people will do the "German= Nazi" thing. Just because you SPEAK German.

At any rate, Kurt gets treated as a German... but not as a "white" guy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I feel the need to point out that Dr. Risman has the same shade of skin as X-23 in Evolution.
    It's been a while since I watched the episode, but IIRC Dr. Risman didn't carry her to term as was the case in the books. X in Evolution WAS a typical "Test Tube Clone."

I should add, there are also Hispanic people who are Caucasian ... and even those who are of mixed race, can also give blond children with green eyes if any ancestor is blond, or there is also the fact that their partner is a Caucasian and she of mixed race.

That the sister gave a blonde daughter with green eyes does not exclude that they may be Latinas of mixed race.
    Technically you need someone with a blonde gene on both sides of the family - one isn't enough to manifest a recessive trait. However, not one person in the line actually has to have blonde hair so long as they carry one copy of the recessive trait.

But in any case Laura has always seemed to me in comics that she is exactly the same as Logan, speaking of ethnicity, only that she is not ugly like him, and has green eyes instead of blue.
    Fun trivia fact - Green eyes may be recessive to brown, but they are dominant to blue. That means Logan can't have the green eyed gene because even one would have made his own eyes green - which in turn means that Laura had to get it from somewhere else.
    Dark does not mean deep.

It's been a while since I watched the episode, but IIRC Dr. Risman didn't carry her to term as was the case in the books. X in Evolution WAS a typical "Test Tube Clone."
    I guess the question then is how severely modified?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Technically you need someone with a blonde gene on both sides of the family - one isn't enough to manifest a recessive trait. However, not one person in the line actually has to have blonde hair so long as they carry one copy of the recessive trait.

Fun trivia fact - Green eyes may be recessive to brown, but they are dominant to blue. That means Logan can't have the green eyed gene because even one would have made his own eyes green - which in turn means that Laura had to get it from somewhere else.
    Eye colors are weird... But it's more support for Laura having Sarah's DNA. AFAIK, mtDNA won't cut it.