Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Goofiest plots/stories/characters in comics?

So with all of the comics the members of this board have read over the years which plots/stories/characters do you think are the goofiest? Like the ones you think of and ga "Man thats just dumb!"

For me it is easy. Paste Pot Pete for character. The guy creates a paste that is powerful enough to make grown men stick to the ground, halt speeding cars and honest to god stops a rocket mid flight. The years of lab work needed to create this must have been amazing. And what does he decide to do? Rob banks for a few hundred bucks for money. Why? Cant he just sell the paste and make millions? Wouldnt the government just jump at the chance to buy a substance that can halt enemy vehicles and rockets with no effort and that is clearly so easy to make a dude can do it in his basement?

Also why dont the government reverse engineer it and other weapons from bad guys and super villains to have that tech themselves? You always see in comics when the bad guys escape from jail and their weapons are just in some weapons closet. Why arnt they in some lab being looked at? Remember that issue of Amazing Spiderman they just gave The Beetle his suit back? Really? Why did the government not take the suit and make it and enhance it and have their own set of beetle suits or The Shockers weapon?

So what are some goofy things that you found in comics?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

The investigative incompetence of cops. Their CSIs spend hours crawling all over a crime scene, but miss the vital clue Batman spots whilst hanging outside a window 30 feet away, in the dark.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I think the Scottish Wolfhound isa pretty goofy character. Actually it is way goofy. Too goofy. So goofy it should never be spoken of again.

BANNED

One More Day is pretty much the stupidest thing I've ever read

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The investigative incompetence of cops. Their CSIs spend hours crawling all over a crime scene, but miss the vital clue Batman spots whilst hanging outside a window 30 feet away, in the dark.
    This bugs me also. Like in the Nolan Batman when Batman tells Gordan he needs a few minutes with the crime scene before his people contaminate it. That made me mad. I mean I get Gotham does not have the best cops and some are corrupt But damn there has to be someone good at their job in that city.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Flash's origin was really from a a magic guy named Mopee.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Invincible Member

Avengers #1, the Hulk is hiding out in a circus wearing clown make up and pretending to be a robot. The climax of that story is Loki somehow turns himself radioactive but just happens to be standing on a trap door to a lead container(?!) and Antman is able to tell the ants to open the door and capture him.

Giant Size Avengers #4, there's a lot going on but the craziest part is Mantis marries an intelligent plant guy from outer space who puts his consciousness in the animated corpse of the Swordsman who died a year earlier.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Giant Size Avengers #4, there's a lot going on but the craziest part is Mantis marries an intelligent plant guy from outer space who puts his consciousness in the animated corpse of the Swordsman who died a year earlier.
    That one's downright creepy.

Invincible Member

Originally Black Canary was a hero from DC's Earth 2 where time flowed more naturally and all the Golden Age superheroes were about 20 years older than the main universe heroes. She travelled to Earth 1 to take Wonder Woman's place in the Justice League. In the late 70's to explain why she still looks young, they made up a convoluted plot where she had her mind transplanted in the body of her adult daughter who was never mentioned before or after.

Extraordinary Member

Dick Grayson and Jason Todd sharing the Nightwing mantle concurrently with both each other and a fashion designer who got Dick to catwalk in costume, before Dick and Jason turn into giant cockroach monsters and fight each other.

Cassandra Cain’s heel-turn in Robin was more infamous for OYL, but the Nightwing story was just as bad, merely less offensive and more insane.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    One More Day is pretty much the stupidest thing I've ever read
    I wasn't there for it originally. I stopped reading by then. But when I actually saw some of it, especially the bit where MJ's in tears tells (whispers) to Mephisto that they are going to do it and all you see is that one tear. My gosh... goofy was the least of its worries.

Astonishing Member

Elf with a gun in the Defenders series. IIRC (I may be wrong) the writer didn't mean it to be anything or have a resolution. It was supposed to be relatable to random things that happen in real life but an editor or the EiC wanted a resolution to him.

Definitely, an all-time fave would be...

Thanos-Copter

Chuck Austen's run on X-Men had so many options...

- A villainous nun motivated by her own trauma from a sexual assault trying to brainwash Nightcrawler to focus on his priest training so he could be elevated to Pope one day and then be revealed to have his body type so that people would freak out and think he was the Antichrist comes to mind.
    - Also, Nightcrawler's dad being a demonic mutant teleporter named Azazel trapped in a hell dimension that he could somehow only temporarily escape from to father demonic looking mutant offspring. (Like... that was the weird thing. He was trapped, but got out to father mutants... wha?)
    - A return to the Guthrie farm for a Romeo & Juliet knock off story between the X-Men and mutant haters with Mandroid armor that featured a romance between Angel and Husk, who arguably just turned 18? Anyway, they have a sex scene where they get naked and start boning mid-air while Paige's mom watches below with her brothers and sisters. Seriously.
    - Nurse Annie... I... there's a lot. I can't even begin to explain all that.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Another fave would be...

The Spider-Mobile!?!