Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: SPOILERS for 73

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    This. JMS gets worshipped far too much. Everything post his collaboration with JRJr was average to awful imo. The stories were either not memorable, or they were memorable for all the wrong reasons (Sins Past, The Other, OMD).
    The impression I get of JMS is this: He appeals to the artsy and ( or) elites ( like Spencer, Josh Whedon and Kevin Feige) far more then to the average reader ( such as myself). The Other is an obvious example. When I read it I said WTF is this totem stuff and except OMD/BND and Silk it is my most despised Spider-Man comic. But to those people it is some kind of masterpiece. I also think of The Joker movie. I did not enjoy seeing a child ( Young Bruce Wayne) seeing his parents murdered and people jumping around like it was one big party. To me, that is NOT entertainment and hated the movie and that scene in particular. Yet, that movie won Best Actor Oscar. Perhaps it is me, and I do am not intelligent artsy and ( or) enlightened enough to get it, but I just do not get it, and likely never will

It's probably wrong of Bleeding Cool to just post pages from a comic book that's coming out in a few days.

I don't think the retcon is necessarily a bad idea (depends on the execution and this is something that should be fixed) but it is weird to have so little set-up.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    The impression I get of JMS is this: He appeals to the artsy and ( or) elites ( like Spencer, Josh Whedon and Kevin Feige) far more then to the average reader ( such as myself). The Other is an obvious example. When I read it I said WTF is this totem stuff and except OMD/BND and Silk it is my most despised Spider-Man comic. But to those people it is some kind of masterpiece. I also think of The Joker movie. I did not enjoy seeing a child ( Young Bruce Wayne) seeing his parents murdered and people jumping around like it was one big party. To me, that is NOT entertainment and hated the movie and that scene in particular. Yet, that movie won Best Actor Oscar. Perhaps it is me, and I do am not intelligent artsy and ( or) enlightened enough to get it, but I just do not get it, and likely never will
    I think JMS gave us one of the best Peter characterization, a great Peter and MJ relationship, and he wrote the best Aunt May.

It's been a while since I've read that run (I'm gonna buy the JMS omnibus next year, if my funds allow it) but from what I remember, the stories were well written, and the pacing was good. I know people hate the totem stuff (personally I don't have anything against it) but I think JMS is just a really good writer. Pair him with a good artist like Romita Jr. and you have a very nice run.

Them remind me os Spencer and Ottley. Started great, but had mixed reception, and the latter of the run changed artists around, and stories got worse.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    I think JMS gave us one of the best Peter characterization, a great Peter and MJ relationship, and he wrote the best Aunt May.

It's been a while since I've read that run (I'm gonna buy the JMS omnibus next year, if my funds allow it) but from what I remember, the stories were well written, and the pacing was good. I know people hate the totem stuff (personally I don't have anything against it) but I think JMS is just a really good writer. Pair him with a good artist like Romita Jr. and you have a very nice run.

Them remind me os Spencer and Ottley. Started great, but had mixed reception, and the latter of the run changed artists around, and stories got worse.
    That's why I love those runs.
    They nail the characters

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's probably wrong of Bleeding Cool to just post pages from a comic book that's coming out in a few days.

I don't think the retcon is necessarily a bad idea (depends on the execution and this is something that should be fixed) but it is weird to have so little set-up.
    They have done it many times
    The retcon is the best thing that has happened in BND aside from Peter MJ being a couple again.Execution be damned, as long as the affair is gone.

What I don't understand is why people are so obsessed with some magic "undo OMD" button when it looks like they're undoing it organically. I mean Peter was ready to propose in Sinister War, him and MJ are madly in love and story wise it shows that even the devil can't completely overcome love. It's basically already undone.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Bleeding cool just posted this
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/nick...ing-sins-past/

We did it boys, we made it
    FINALLY!!!!!

It's now canon that he never had sex with Gwen. It was all an elaborate rouge. I'll take it!

Incredible Member

I think retconning stories because they are unpopular is a slippery slope particularly when comic fans usually place such an important emphasis on continuity. Plenty of stories that are now considered classics were unpopular at the time of release and even with definitively bad stories it's not uncommon for good things to spin out of them.

If you must retcon a bad story (but important story) at least make it good. Like when Geoff Johns decided that Hal Jordan was possessed when he was Parallax so he could be restored as the Green Lantern he made it a big deal and built several events out of it. This is just dumb. Here Spencer is using his final issue to hastily do a sequel to another bad story (Life Theft) were Harry Osborn's AI had been hyptotising his father and using Life Model Decoys to convince him he had an affair with Gwen and had children with her...for what reason. These kind of retcons are are often dumber than the stories they are trying to fix.

If this is because Marvel editorial nixed Spencer's plan then fair enough that he's not responsible. What he is responsible for though is 70+ of largely filler (with some genuinely good stuff here and there) leading up to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    What I don't understand is why people are so obsessed with some magic "undo OMD" button when it looks like they're undoing it organically. I mean Peter was ready to propose in Sinister War, him and MJ are madly in love and story wise it shows that even the devil can't completely overcome love. It's basically already undone.
    It can't happen organically because One More Day spells out that they can't be together...at least not married otherwise Mephisto will interfere. It kinda has to be a big story and it very much looked like that's the story we were getting. Kindred was opposed to Peter and MJ reconciling from the beginning of Spencer's run, it was 'revealed' that Kindred was Harry come back from hell and later revealed that Norman sold his soul Mephisto. When Peter was about to propose he sent a wave of his enemies to stop it from happening. It all added up. So the fact that Spencer's run was never a story about undoing One More Day and that was all misdirection is a little screwy to me.

There's also the fact that Spider-Man is a story about responsibility. Peter screws up and does the wrong thing all the time but there's always consequences and he always comes back to fix it. In some ways One More Day was never really the problem, the problem is that he never faced up to his mistake so didn't have to fix it. Again, Spencer's run spent seventy plus issues leading us to believe that was going to happen and now it wont.
    Last edited by Orbus; 09-06-2021 at 04:12 PM.

Meh. Is this what comics is now? Reconning every thing you don't like about the character?

Can we not move the character forward or do something new with him?

Comic book companies use every excuse in the book to explain why they struggle to bring in young readers. Di they ever consider stories like this are the reason? Reconning a story that came out before the new readership they should be targeting was born.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazing Michael Deery View Post
    Meh. Is this what comics is now? Reconning every thing you don't like about the character?

Comic book companies use every excuse in the book to explain why they struggle to bring in young readers. Di they ever consider stories like this are the reason? Reconning a story that came out before the new readership they should be targeting was born.
    It's true lol.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    Because there was no reckoning. Mephisto shows up, changes history, saves May and undoes the marriage. He then takes off and seemingly gets away with it. It has never been addressed as BND happened afterward and time marched on. Peter needs to own up to what occurred and then overcome Mephisto with a resounding defeat.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    The 4Chan spoilers implied Breevort put the kibosh on going Full Monty on the OMD retcon, and retconning Sins Past was the weak tea compromise (with some vague stuff added about Mephisto “releasing his hold” on MJ and Peter). Really hope there wasn’t editorial interference as is being reported.
    The spidey books do not fall under Breevort's purview. So I don't see how him objecting to it would be a factor. Nick Lowe handles that and, really, Cebulski has last say. It would be like Lowe going over and objecting to editorial decisions with Fantastic Four. Breevort would tell him to buzz off.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I give 4 Chan 0% credibility. Why? I never read 4 Chan until yesterday, but some of the comments were downright offensive including using the N word lover towards MJ and Gwen ( and that was not the only one trust me). I have never considered myself woke ( far from it) but I had to stop reading because it was too much for me to take.
    I just want to say weve had our differences in the past but it's nice to see we share the same sentiment about 4chan.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazing Michael Deery View Post

i doubt it cause it can easily be revert back to by someone else.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    It can't happen organically because One More Day spells out that they can't be together...at least not married otherwise Mephisto will interfere. It kinda has to be a big story and it very much looked like that's the story we were getting. Kindred was opposed to Peter and MJ reconciling from the beginning of Spencer's run, it was 'revealed' that Kindred was Harry come back from hell and later revealed that Norman sold his soul Mephisto. When Peter was about to propose he sent a wave of his enemies to stop it from happening. It all added up. So the fact that Spencer's run was never a story about undoing One More Day and that was all misdirection is a little screwy to me.
    OMD was all about erasing the marriage from existence. There is NOTHING that says that they can't get back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Because there was no reckoning. Mephisto shows up, changes history, saves May and undoes the marriage. He then takes off and seemingly gets away with it. It has never been addressed as BND happened afterward and time marched on. Peter needs to own up to what occurred and then overcome Mephisto with a resounding defeat.
    I mean....I can understand this to an extent, but them getting back together is a victory in itself.

But yeah, I honestly would love for Peter, Miles, Ben and Otto to totally **** over Mephisto. Though that aspect won't happen unfortunately.