We did it boys, we made it

Incredible Member

Sounds awful.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    Sounds awful.
    They retconned the single worst story ever, that's a win

Incredible Member

I do not count Sins Past as the single worst story ever. I don't personally care for it but neither do I think it irreparably ruins Gwen Stacy as a character or her place in the Spider-Man mythos.

Full disclosure my most unpopular Spider-Man opinion is actually a non-opinion; I don't have any strong feelings for or against the Peter Parker/Mary Jane marriage. I've liked Spider-Man stories were he is married and liked them when he is single. I appreciate many of the current readers grew up in an era were he was married so to them it's the way it should always be but it's not a big deal to me that the marriage was dissolved. What is a big deal to me is the specific way they chose to dissolve the marriage. One More Day is the worst story, were Peter sells to the the Marvel version of the devil. That's a huge taint on the character that should be addressed. That is what Spencer has been heavily hinting he was going to address in his run and while it was starting to become obvious he wasn't going to do it in any meaningful way but this is pretty poor.

Sins Past didn't need undoing. Most fans were perfectly fine with just acting as if it never happened (although I'm okay with it being referenced) but if Spencer felt he really he had to undo it then frankly Harry Osborn A.I.s and life model decoys are just dumb ways to it.

Maybe when time has passed we'll hear if this is what Spencer really wanted out of his run. I still have hope that the upcoming Mephisto story will address the deal and nullify it and maybe if Spencer did plan to dissolve the deal but Marvel forced him to alter his plans since they thought it would better done during an event. If something like that turns out to be the case I'd give Spencer a pass but as it stands at the moment this pretty poor.

Extraordinary Member

Not really, the editors like to pretend it never happened and Spencer's run is the perfect opportunity for the retcon.And fans want the retcon and I'm so glad it delivers.
    But Sins Past retcon isn't the point of this run, it's a B or C goal at best.OMD is still the main thing, and clearly what Spencer wants to address.
    If he can is on editorial.
    They can't ever nullify it but they can make MJ and Peter aware of it, and get them engaged and then married down the line.

Incredible Member

The second half of JMS’s run was complete garbage. Sins Past is a crap story but I’m not one of fans that believe Gwen Stacy was a saint. Her earlier appearances have her being a complete snob bitch to Peter. Then they start dating and all she ever did was complain how awful Spider-Man was. She was basically a younger version of Aunt May; always complaining but never shutting the hell up. The only reason Gwen is even considered a “great character” is because she died. I couldn’t care less about her, or Sins Past.

Now… 3 years of Kindred repeating CONFESS CONFESS CONFESS CONFESS CONFESS coupled with OMD teases just to get told that this was to retcon Sins Past? Whatever. You spencer worshippers got what you wanted but for me this was a huge waste of time and money.

"Hi dad, remember that time you made me believe Lily's child was yours? Well, GOTCHA"
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    "Hi dad, remember that time you made me believe Lily's child was yours? Well, GOTCHA"
    Honestly, it'll be a shame if they don't reference that somehow while we're talking about the sins of Norman Osborn. It's not super high on the list, but it's definitely in the top half
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    The second half of JMS’s run was complete garbage. Sins Past is a crap story but I’m not one of fans that believe Gwen Stacy was a saint. Her earlier appearances have her being a complete snob bitch to Peter. Then they start dating and all she ever did was complain how awful Spider-Man was. She was basically a younger version of Aunt May; always complaining but never shutting the hell up. The only reason Gwen is even considered a “great character” is because she died. I couldn’t care less about her, or Sins Past.

Now… 3 years of Kindred repeating CONFESS CONFESS CONFESS CONFESS CONFESS coupled with OMD teases just to get told that this was to retcon Sins Past? Whatever. You spencer worshippers got what you wanted but for me this was a huge waste of time and money.
    Yeah, She's not a saint but she's not a cheater either.And the story was garbage.
    And JMS wrote one of the best Spidey runs.

And why is everyone pretending like Sins Past being retconned means OMD won't.The retcon is a B or C goal and thus it's being dealt w/ in a back up in the penultimate issue.
    The Ultra size issue, 96 pages btw is still for all the other stuff.
    If his main goal was Sins Past it would be retconned in 74.

I mean, cool, but I don't know if that automatically improves the quality of the run at this point.

Astonishing Member

Not the first Spider-Man story I would have retconned, but hey I'm still happy about it.

Fantastic Member

Glad that that wretched story has been done away with. Hated Sins Past when it happened, so ecstatic Spencer dealt with it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    Glad that that wretched story has been done away with. Hated Sins Past when it happened, so ecstatic Spencer dealt with it.
    Fr, Spencer really cleaning up Spider-man messes in continuity

Sins Past is a small fish compared to OMD.
    If the whole point of this run was to retcon it, I have to agree with xpyred - it was a waste of time and money.

Mighty Member

I think I agree with Comicpop when they say that Spencer came in to simply clean up a mess, and in doing so created another mess. Like you cleaned up the dishes and Kitchen, but you broke a glass while doing it.

It's kind of glorious in how chaotic this comic is. I mean the run is C/ B- tier, maybe a 7/10 at most, but the chaotic energy it ensures is a pure 10.

Bravo Spencer, you made the mess we all needed and deserved.