Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Are the Resurrections leading the X-Men too deeply into Black magic?

Okay, I know they give a scientific explanation for the resurrections, but as Cerebro was modified by Forge to be able to host backups of the souls of all mutants, there’s clearly a magic element. Not too mention the way the 5 combine their powers together to make inert eggs into fully restored mutants.

I know why FCJE was done creatively, but how can this be says to be good. Mutants like Mastermind found peace in their passing. So now they are brought back into the world with the same problems they had before, unfixed. And we think this is good?

Also the resurrections are mostly done without consent. Yes, someone who died on an official Krakoa mission consent to be resurrected. Others? They did not.

I just watched What If, and the path tinto to return or talk to the dead can lead to madness or evil. Even in real life people do try Black magic to commune with lost ones, instead of accepting the loss.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Okay, I know they give a scientific explanation for the resurrections, but as Cerebro was modified by Forge to be able to host backups of the souls of all mutants, there’s clearly a magic element. Not too mention the way the 5 combine their powers together to make inert eggs into fully restored mutants.

I know why FCJE was done creatively, but how can this be says to be good. Mutants like Mastermind found peace in their passing. So now they are brought back into the world with the same problems they had before, unfixed. And we think this is good?

Also the resurrections are mostly done without consent. Yes, someone who died on an official Krakoa mission consent to be resurrected. Others? They did not.

I just watched What If, and the path tinto to return or talk to the dead can lead to madness or evil. Even in real life people do try Black magic to commune with lost ones, instead of accepting the loss.
    Don’t ask me, I’m crazy so magic of any type is never enough……as far as I am concerned resurrection is fun, I don’t care about consequences.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    Don’t ask me, I’m crazy so magic of any type is never enough……as far as I am concerned resurrection is fun, I don’t care about consequences.
    I'm here. I'm glad you read first i was stuck on how to answer the question to be honest. My literal side kicked in and im just confused.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Whether these resurrections could be considered "black magic," I can't say, but you do pose some interesting questions, especially regarding those mutants who didn't consent to being resurrected.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

You can't "consent/not consent" to being resurrected if you died long before Krakoa and the RP's were created...even more so if your death was sudden and unplanned...as most mutant deaths seem to be.

Personally, I don't see a purely mystical/magical aspect to what's been going on (apart from the premise in Excalibur) so I would say "no.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 09-05-2021 at 09:07 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I think the biggest problem is narrative: it kills any kind of drama. You die: no problem, resurrection. Your loved one has died: no problem, resurrection. Your biggest enemy has died: problem, resurrection.

It moves away the X-men from humanity, namely the readers. It’s more a fantasy than it ever was. In the past, I felt close to the X-men…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I'd need to see some sort of evidence that magic is actually being used. I'm not saying that's not a possibility especially given Excalibur's main purpose, but in terms of resurrection none of the mutants involved have historically been involved with magic afaik.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Fantastic Member

I don't think there's a magical element to it, seems more technological/psychic. Nothing says those can't manipulate souls.

Not sure what FCJE is, so I can't comment on that.

The consent issue is interesting. We haven't seen that from any post krakoan deaths. I would think it could be declared, but for anyone who died before the krakoan Era, it could be tough to call. Hope they explore that.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    You can't "consent/not consent" to being resurrected if you died long before Krakoa and the RP's were created...
    It's called not consenting by virtue of the fact that you weren't around to be asked. It's an interesting point to bring up, especially regarding someone like Mastermind.

The narrative doesn't make sense, to me it drops all logic behind the story. I wonder who will die next

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    It's called not consenting by virtue of the fact that you weren't around to be asked. It's an interesting point to bring up, especially regarding someone like Mastermind.
    Mastermind clearly doesn't seem to mind.

And so...for the sake of some moralistic realism (that no writer is interested in) all those Genoshan mutants who died during Extinction and those who died on M-Day should never be resurrected because we couldn't ask each and everyone of them if they would have consented. How, from a storytelling perspective does that even make sense?
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

A lot of people die with the belief that they'll be restored in a paradise anyway. The least they can do is wake people up, explain the new situation to them, and then at least they can make an informed decision whether to try it out or add their name to a "do not revive" list.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post

A backup is a just copy; if it was actual transmigration, you wouldn't need backups in the first place.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Krakoans needs all the Black Magic they can get!

Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    A backup is a just copy; if it was actual transmigration, you wouldn't need backups in the first place.
    If they were just the body and mind of the mutant without a soul they would inevitably go evil like Trevor Fitzroy and Strong Guy did after Layla Miller brought them back. Clearly the answer to how it works is "It's a mutant circuit, I ain't gotta explain ****!".

Also, would just the soul without that person's memories really be them?
    Last edited by Frobisher; 09-06-2021 at 05:00 AM.