Default "Slam" Bradley Appreciation Thread (2021)

First appearance: Detective Comics #1 (March 1937)

Unfortunately, some of his earliest exploits may seem a bit racist in the present day and age, but back when he first appeared (almost 85 years ago at this point) the idea of the "mysterious orient" and racial caricatures were not uncommon.

Despite those "questionable" early adventures, Bradley did make popular comebacks in DC comics years later.
    His "Who's Who" entry from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XXI (November 1986)

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

"People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Incredible Member

....isn't this the same guy who was featured in Cooke and Brubaker's Catwoman run?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    ....isn't this the same guy who was featured in Cooke and Brubaker's Catwoman run?
    Well, there was Slam, and Slam's son (Slam Bradley Jr.) was also in it later.

from Catwoman Secret Files & Origins #1 (November 2002)

Astonishing Member

I love Slam. And as much as I know Ed Brubaker and Darwyn Cooke loved the character, too, I felt bad for the guy. He just couldn't get a break. I know they were trying to play up the whole hardboiled detective noir aspect of him where sometimes there are no happy endings, but I really felt for him.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Here is a CBR article about Slam Bradley from January of 2020.

https://www.cbr.com/batwoman-who-is-slam-bradley/

I first saw Slam in DETECTIVE COMICS #500.

SlamDC500.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    . . . I first saw Slam in DETECTIVE COMICS #500.
    I believe I first read a Slam Bradley story in the "Famous First Edition" oversize reprint of Detective Comics #27 back in 1974.

Here are a couple more pages of the Slam Bradley story in Detective Comics #500 (which also guest-starred quite a few other characters who had previously been in that title):

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

From Detective Comics #572.

SlamBradley572.jpg

From Detective Comics #759 (August 2001),

Incredible Member

He is the same guy from New Super-man who was hitting "yellow monsters" until Kenan realized they were real people, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    He is the same guy from New Super-man who was hitting "yellow monsters" until Kenan realized they were real people, right?
    Well, that story was taking to task his original appearances from 1937 (as noted in the very first post in this thread).
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    First appearance: Detective Comics #1 (March 1937)

Unfortunately, some of his earliest exploits may seem a bit racist in the present day and age, but back when he first appeared (almost 85 years ago at this point) the idea of the "mysterious orient" and racial caricatures were not uncommon.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Really liked him, and first really paid attention to him in Catwoman. Great series, strong characters, including Bradley.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Back to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    A few pages from New Super-Man #16 (December 2017):