Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Infinite Frontier #6 spoilers and discussion

Well here we are, the curtain call of the first act. The final issue of this big multiverse mystery and DarkseidN’s big machinations for the multiverse, the omniverse, and everything in between in dc comics. Now that we are at the end it’s for other stuff to start as well, because as you may have heard there is a justice incarnate comic coming in November by Williamson. However it’s not just incarnate because some of the other characters survive this and are apparently going off to do their own things, maybe that will connect things back who knows because that’s next years problem.

Now I will say before I get to spoilers that I apologize for any mistakes, there is a lot going on that involves crazy shenanigans that stem from Death Metal to Multiversity to Flashpoint and even all the way back to 1985’s Crisis on Infinite Earths. It’s not new reader friendly so there’s a lot of big ideas and sometimes those can get a bit confusing to navigate so if I mess anything up I’m sorry.

On to the spoilers

spoilers:
    So Darkseid is trying to use Flash and Omega Lantern Roy Harper to break through a crack in the omniverse to get an ambiguous ancient power stronger then the anti life equation behind it. Oh and the Injustice Incarnate is trying to crackdown on the multiverse.

Luckily the JSA brought a really good motivational speaker in Obsidian who manages to break Roy out of his zombie funk, taking that off the board for Darkseid and saving Roy from a lifetime of enslavement. I also just want to point out that Joker Sinestro made an Elmer Fudd construct at Captain Carrot...adds nothing to the story but it’s fun.

Anyway while that’s going on Machinehead is beating down on Thomas Wayne for what Flashpoint did to his world, but Thomas is trying to stand tall and protect Bruce and his family after being a seriously bad dad. But it was a diversion tactic and President Superman knocks him out.

We then get President Superman flying in, destroying the machine that has Flash running and just completely ruining Darkseid’s plan. Even other world Supermen can ruin Darkseid’s day. Not only does this free Flash and unchain the multiverse it also frees Roy from the grasp of the black lantern ring, he is back to his normal arrow self.

And so Darkseid is defeated with Psycho Pirate running because he doesn’t want to be near a ticked off Darkseid. Oh and Darkseid then kills Machine Head for talking. Then he just teleports everyone off Earth-Omega because he’s having a bad day and just wants to consider his options now that his plan failed.
    end of spoilers

Alright now I’m going to split this up into a series of character specific epilogues

Justice Incarnate
    spoilers:
    They get teleported back to the Hall of Heroes and with Thomas Wayne in tow decide that they are hunting down Darkseid. It’s set up for the miniseries coming in November.
    end of spoilers

Cameron Chase and Bones

spoilers:
    Chase is in charge of the DEO now, with Bones now underground with Checkmate.
    end of spoilers

Roy Harper

spoilers:
    He’s back amongst the living and back to normal, his goal to find his missing daughter. But for now he’s heading off to Titans Academy to be with friends.
    end of spoilers

JSA

spoilers:
    Back on Earth and informing the Totality of what the hell happened with Darkseid.
    end of spoilers

Now for the two big ones, so hold on to your hats...or whatever headwear you could lose.

Darkseid

spoilers:
    Basically he gets into a big moment about his plan. He’s gathered his family and followers; Steppenwolf, Desaad, Granny Goodness, Grail, and Kalibak who he needs in preparation for those who will also come for what lies beyond the Omniverse, the great darkness which I assume is a reference to the great darkness saga. By the way they tease Eclipso, the Upsidedown man, Necron, and the empty hand (from Multiversity) as those who may come in conflict with Darkseid.
    end of spoilers

And Finally Barry Allen
    spoilers:
    He doesn’t come back, he went to fast and wound up beyond the omniverse. It’s there where he runs into Pariah of Crisis fame who informs him of Multiverse-2 which seems to be the destroyed remains of the pre-crisis multiverse.

Then it gets weird. Because Pariah kills/breakdowns/reconstructs? Barry and puts him in a new world where he will be happy designated Earth-Flash.1 where Barry is at a dinner table with his mother, Iris, his two twins, a young Wallace, Kid Flash Wally, and Jay Garrick. It leaves with a message of 2022 hinting that Pariah may have gone mad and is the villain of the next crisis but I’m only guessing at that point.
    end of spoilers

Alright then, this is over. Hope you had a fun wild ride and see you at Justice Incarnate which I most certainly will be reading. Oh and I guess if not there then I’ll see you all next Crisis.
    Last edited by sifighter; 09-07-2021 at 07:22 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

This was alright. Anticlimactic but not weak. Like, the plot isn't necessarily all there, some big dumb fun with the ensemble but not a lot of cohesion yet other than needing them for their Pre-Crisis Earth-2(1) status and to have them back and for fun splash pages, but it feels like an Act 1 so it doesn't require a total resolution for everybody to work.

Williamson picking up Morrison things nobody would dare pick up suits me because the only other writers who ever do that seem to be Pete Tomasi and Tim Seeley, and that bodes really well I think for me for what we might get in Batman. What shouldn't have surprised me but totally did was bringing in that last character to interact with Barry Allen. Because that ... feels like the Williamson I know from The Flash, finding really nice ways in-continuity (more or less) to utilize characters, iconography and angles that were born of The Flash TV show. And I appreciate the inclusiveness of this run of stories essentially being a sequel to EVERY CRISIS. Even that list of folks Darkseid rattles off might be after the same thing as him tracks with that, as most of them are walking individual Crises themselves.

I also think buried in here, not far below the surface in the subtext, there's even a mild meta-narrative about comics/continuity/and creators. It's not as ultra-deep cut as some other meta-narratives associated with multiverse stories but it might be more accessible, partly just in keeping various multiverse characters as being representations of an idea or meta, and then judging their interactions with one another based upon it. Of course there's also quite a bit of "salvaging" as a theme.

My big question at the end is; if Earth Omega is that, and it's residual or salvaged or set aside from that other thing ... is it obvious what it is?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member

Not sure yet if the Elseworld is the same as Pariah's collection of Earths.

But we will just dicuss Earth Flash 1. Earth 0 Barry being reverted back to Pre-Crisis Earth 1 Flash (Barry's mom is alive here) with this worlds own Jay on the same Earth and a version of Wallace exists here. Another Wally is Kid Flash here.
    Last edited by D.Z; 09-07-2021 at 08:15 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Surprised to see Pariah. But after we had Lady Quark last issue, I should have known.

Astonishing Member

If they decide on say Earth JSA 2, I think wartime world JSA would be ok. Or Earth Superman 2, where Golden Age Superman and his mythos exist.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

You forgot the best part when Psycho Pirate leaves because he's "needed in another event".

I thought that was hilarious.

Incredible Member

Damn this was some boring ****.

Fantastic Member

As I mentioned in another thread, the elephant in the room is weak storytelling. A new Earth is observed and it's called Earth Omega (the symbol that Darkseid has used in Final Crisis and elsewhere) and then the heroes are surprised when Darkseid shows up. How did the heroes learn that it was called Earth Omega? Was there a sign on it that said "Earth Omega"? Is there some Darkseid-ish vibrational fingerprint on it and that's how they knew to call it that, and if so, shouldn't they have been concerned immediately about the threat of Darkseid? The ludicrousness is so front and center that I can't really see anything around it.

This story (and all of the Metal events and Snyder's JL run) seem to begin with a bunch of stuff that the writer wants to have happen, and then the story will have as many expository speeches as required to make those things happen. That's just really bad storytelling. But if you only care about the end results that happen and you don't care how they are presented, I guess this passes as an OK event. Stuff does happen.

Astonishing Member

Earth Omega was already mentioned before. It also has no vibrations.

Astonishing Member

Is Earth-Flash 1 setting a precedent for different characters and teams to get their own Earths?

Interesting so is Earth Alpha aka Elseworld an attempt to go all the way back to the beginning? Every hero in their own pocket universe with no shared universe at all? That’s what I got anyway.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Is that what manga does in a way?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Interesting so is Earth Alpha aka Elseworld an attempt to go all the way back to the beginning? Every hero in their own pocket universe with no shared universe at all? That’s what I got anyway.
    Maybe, but the lack of shared universe means that certain teams would never exist, unless origins are changed in each pocket Earth.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Is that what manga does in a way?
    Most manga are self contained, except for the ones with sequels or alternate retellings.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Maybe, but the lack of shared universe means that certain teams would never exist, unless origins are changed in each pocket Earth.
    Could still get their own multiversal team.

Wonder what team gets their own Earth? Wolfman/ Perez Titans?