Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Devil's Reign

Mighty Member

Is kingpin the spider-man equivalent of ra’s al ghul or mandarin fits that role better?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Is kingpin the spider-man equivalent of ra’s al ghul or mandarin fits that role better?
    Neither? Kingpin is Kingpin. He’s not comparable to those villains. And he belongs more to Daredevil’s rogue gallery than Spidey’s (although that’s been changing a bit the past few years).

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Neither? Kingpin is Kingpin. He’s not comparable to those villains. And he belongs more to Daredevil’s rogue gallery than Spidey’s (although that’s been changing a bit the past few years).
    As a Daredevil villain Kingpin was great. When he was a Spidey bad he never rose past a B- villain. I would say never got past C level. But I would love to see that change and have some great Spidey Kingpin stories.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    As a Daredevil villain Kingpin was great. When he was a Spidey bad he never rose past a B- villain. I would say never got past C level. But I would love to see that change and have some great Spidey Kingpin stories.
    There’s a number of great Spidey/Kingpin stories. Or at least he played a big part in them.

He was never C-list. He was a B-villain usually, but occasionally rose to A, such as in ‘Back in Black’ and his first appearances in the Lee/Romita issues before he became primarily a Daredevil villain. Also some great moments between him and Spidey in some of the issues from the 80s, when there was all the gang drama with Rose, Hobgoblin, Black Cat, Foreigner, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    There’s a number of great Spidey/Kingpin stories. Or at least he played a big part in them.

He was never C-list. He was a B-villain usually, but occasionally rose to A, such as in ‘Back in Black’ and his first appearances in the Lee/Romita issues before he became primarily a Daredevil villain. Also some great moments between him and Spidey in some of the issues from the 80s, when there was all the gang drama with Rose, Hobgoblin, Black Cat, Foreigner, etc.
    I enjoyed the Whole Tablet Saga he was in in the Early days. I enjoyed that. And the issue he has to beat Spiderman by Midnight or something because he promised his wife he was going to quit crime.

Yes there were some good stories. But he never even came close to reaching a Goblin, Ock, level character. So I would say him as an A list may be a bit of a stretch. His story line in Back in Black doesnt stand above any other Spidey Story he was in. Still the same guy. A mob boss ordering others around and being shady. And Spidey beats the crap our of him pretty easy which kind of proves they have been jobbing Spiderman for years when it came to Kingpin being a real physical threat.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Does anybody remember Secret War and the Illuminati?
    Point about the Illuminati.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    From what I know, Daredevil and Spidey had a lot of team ups in the 90's right? They knew each other identities, heck - Daredevil even showed in that 2000's game for PSX and N64.
    It's actually funny that Peter doesn't know of Daredevil's powers in that game, so it's also possible he doesn't know Daredevil's secret identity lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    They are.

DD was gonna guest star in ASM after the kindred thing but they removed it, we still have the art for it.
    Really? That sucks, 'cause last time Daredevil showed up in ASM, he was still butthurt about the whole Fisk thing, and he wasn't around for that "New Avengers" team up.

Do you have the art by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    ok just read the synopsis: shocker? aint he the comic relief of peters villains? Chip about to make Shocker top tier in this even huh. Yeah Peter is kinda lucky that he isnt in this event then again I wouldnt put it past Kingpin to attack Mj and Aunt May anyway considering Ben would still care for them
    Shocker was a legitimate threat once upon a time, but writers forgot about that, maybe Ultimate's influence did that...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Shocker can be a serious threat. He actually wrecked Spider-Man in their first fight.
    To be fair, Spidey was injured before the fight lol.

It was still impressive though, 'cause Shocker did take a few hits and, didn't give a **** and just punched Spidey back, but, yeah, wasn't in full condition.

It's just now he's seen as the biggest jobber of his Rogues Gallery.
    Which sucks, while the suit's goofy, he has a cool tech, and unlike someone like Electro, he knows how to use what he has, so he's pretty threatening if the writers remember he's worth a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    On topic: I'm glad Jessica Drew is included in this and I really hope she has a bigger part of the main story since she had a part to play in Fisk being Mayor anyway.
    She did? What the hell Jessica lol.

Anyways, Ben being in this instead of Peter is just lame, one of the few times Marvel decides to pay attention to continuity, and they do it at the worst possible moment?

It'll be less bad if Peter is involved in some way, but if Ben just completely replaces him, lame...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    It's actually funny that Peter doesn't know of Daredevil's powers in that game, so it's also possible he doesn't know Daredevil's secret identity lol.

Really? That sucks, 'cause last time Daredevil showed up in ASM, he was still butthurt about the whole Fisk thing, and he wasn't around for that "New Avengers" team up.

Shocker was a legitimate threat once upon a time, but writers forgot about that, maybe Ultimate's influence did that...

It was still impressive though, 'cause Shocker did take a few hits and, didn't give a **** and just punched Spidey back, but, yeah, wasn't in full condition.

Which sucks, while the suit's goofy, he has a cool tech, and unlike someone like Electro, he knows how to use what he has, so he's pretty threatening if the writers remember he's worth a damn.

Anyways, Ben being in this instead of Peter is just lame, one of the few times Marvel decides to pay attention to continuity, and they do it at the worst possible moment?

It'll be less bad if Peter is involved in some way, but if Ben just completely replaces him, lame...
    Peter and DD don't know who each other are as of now.

If you haven't please read the current DD run.Spidey makes a lot of apperances, and it's the best modern Spider-man you'll read.
    I'm trying to find it, if I do I'll post it here

Shocker has potential but is jobbed worse than Rhino.

Exactly, his power set is pretty dangerous.

Agreed 100% w/ the Ben thing.December solicits show Peter may be back so we might get him in the last 4 issues.Chip would write the heck out of his return.

It was very begrudgingly. When NYC was under complete darkness and monsters were running rampant, Jess Matt and Ben Urich were trying to infiltrate baron mordos tower. Matt got caught Jess n Ben barely got away, met up with a very exhausted and weakened Dr strange, they almost got eaten by a monster and kingpin drives an armored truck into the beasts brain and saves them. There's a merry adventure where they finally defeat mordo and I believe king pin takes all the credit and that's a big part of why he becomes mayor after secret empire
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Extraordinary Member

It was very begrudgingly. When NYC was under complete darkness and monsters were running rampant, Jess Matt and Ben Urich were trying to infiltrate baron mordos tower. Matt got caught Jess n Ben barely got away, met up with a very exhausted and weakened Dr strange, they almost got eaten by a monster and kingpin drives an armored truck into the beasts brain and saves them. There's a merry adventure where they finally defeat mordo and I believe king pin takes all the credit and that's a big part of why he becomes mayor after secret empire
    I swear they need to start carrying Camera's on them or something like Cops.Like bruh this superspy and professional journalist got played LMAO.Heck they could even fabricate it, Tony and Reed are aprt of this event.Both of them could easily trick people into believing what they want

Peter and DD don't know who each other are as of now.
    I know, I was talking about the PSX game, where it happens post marriage, and the game kinda tries to pretend it's like 616, but Spidey doesn't know Daredevil's secret identity or his powers? Weird ****.

If you haven't please read the current DD run.Spidey makes a lot of apperances, and it's the best modern Spider-man you'll read.
    Oh yeah, I'm aware.

(Daredevil#23 vol 6)

I specially like this because, once Daredevil got his own secret identity back, Spidey and him seemed like they got distant (They did seem to get distant once Spidey got his own back, but we still had moments like ASM Extra#1 where Matt is his lawyer and does a good job at it, and returns Spidey a webshooter while he's in jail, in ASM#566 Spidey asks for his costume and Matt lends it, and in ASM#600 he tries to reveal his identity to Matt, but Matt refuses 'cause he got fucked over when his own secret identity was revealed), and MCU synergy means Marvel decided to say he's closer to characters like Jones, Luke and Iron Fist while Spidey got sidelined, and while I don't think it's a bad thing for Matt to get more friends, Spidey was basically his best/only friend who's a super-hero for over 20 years, so it's nice Zdarsky is bringing that back.

Too bad ASM has no moment where they made up, 'cause last we saw Matt in ASM#37 vol 5, he's still butthurt about the whole Fisk thing...

Shocker has potential but is jobbed worse than Rhino.
    Which really sucks 'cause writers forgot he's actually pretty strong lol.

Agreed 100% w/ the Ben thing.December solicits show Peter may be back so we might get him in the last 4 issues.Chip would write the heck out of his return.
    Hope so.

Thanks for the info.

Reminds me that Daredevil's own comic ignored the whole Secret Empire nonsense and NY people voted for Fisk because, because lol.

(Daredevil#595)

Funny and sad Spencer blatantly set it up, but, again, Daredevil's own comic ignored it lol.

Extraordinary Member

Thanks for the scans, can't get enough of Chips's Spidey.Also when DD threatened Fisk he brought Spider-man to tell them that when he is in prison Spider-man would be there.Also Doctor Strange left something for peter to do.
    It's a shame that 2 great friendships important stories are being taken on by a character that has nothing to do w/ them.I really hate replacement stories because not only do they take the character who you buy the book for out of it, they also take him out of events specially when he's has massive connection to them.
    Not like Marvel cares about continuity, but Spider-man can't be part of stories that he helped built and that have connections w/ him.F*ck that.

Spencer's take on Spidey was that the hero community doesn't like him for the most part because of his solo act and all the take overs(Kraven, Venom and Doc Ock were mentioned).And he doesn't attend reunion dinners.I hope the next writer works on that and makes them regain it because he really is one of the best heroes out there.Maybe Spencer does something w/ that in the epilogue if that's how 74 plays out.

Not to mention his powers have great potential to damage tougher foes like Luke cage who are resistant to blunt force.He also made an improvement to his gauntlets so now he can also shock people, he used this w/ Hydroman in Sinister War to mass shock people.

Secret empire wasn't liked by many and is thus ignored.I'm happy Spencer tied it into ASM perfectly, there are a lot of ramifications that can be played w/.

Mighty Member

Shcoker and scorpion got hit with villain decay in recent times

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    A lot of Kingpin's campaign against the NYC superheroes is going to be in the arena of public relations, it seems, using the knowledge of their secrets that he's learned over the years and leaking those secrets to the general public and media to cause the public to lose faith and trust in superheroes as a whole, which would give his campaign against them more justification and legitimacy.
    That would be "Civil War" all over again, or maybe a bit of "Secret Empire" or other stories. Anyway, thanks to jerks like Jameson, Media is quite turned against superheroes very often; but once the crisis is over, the status quo is reversed and it's like it never happened. So I don't think that, after two Civil Wars and other stories with similar scenarios, I doubt the public will give such interest in any manipulation Kingpin can make to the media against superheroes.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I swear they need to start carrying Camera's on them or something like Cops.Like bruh this superspy and professional journalist got played LMAO.Heck they could even fabricate it, Tony and Reed are aprt of this event.Both of them could easily trick people into believing what they want
    The general public already has a hard time telling (or caring about) the difference between the superheroes and the supervillains. Wouldn't help, at least not on a moral and ethical level, for the heroes to start fabricating evidence to make themselves look better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    That would be "Civil War" all over again, or maybe a bit of "Secret Empire" or other stories. Anyway, thanks to jerks like Jameson, Media is quite turned against superheroes very often; but once the crisis is over, the status quo is reversed and it's like it never happened. So I don't think that, after two Civil Wars and other stories with similar scenarios, I doubt the public will give such interest in any manipulation Kingpin can make to the media against superheroes.
    Maybe, and it's not like Kingpin isn't a known crook already; he just gets off in the eyes of the public because he's relatively honest about being a crook, unlike the "holier-than-thou" and "sanctimonious" heroes who, in his eyes, pretend to be so noble and selfless, but are really as much out for their own advancement and aggrandizement as any of the villains and crooks they fight.
    The spider is always on the hunt.