Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: ASM 73 full

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    You stopped reading after LR too man? Huh, guess I wasn't the only one that annoyed lol.

Wonder if someone would want to use her, as much as I don't mind the concept of Teresa that much, but nobody did much with her as a character, she's disconnected from Peter's friends and family despite being family (Regardless of whether or not she's girl-Chameleon, Peter considers her family, yet the one interaction she had with aunt May was both off-screen, and Peter didn't confirm tell aunt May who Teresa is), and while her story with Chameleon could be interesting, even if it was generic revenge **** (Not helped that it started because of some boyfriend Teresa had, who wasn't mentioned before and got fridged), it went nowhere, and now she just switched targets, since she now wants to have revenge against the Finisher instead of Chameleon.

Hell, Spencer also did her no favors by bringing this "she may not be Peter's sister after all" again, instead of moving past that, she's gonna anguish over that, again lol.

With how she's not popular, her clone saga would be a small story happening at the same time as another story Spidey is having, and hell, probably would keep zig zagging who she really is.

Like, Family Business says she's Peter's sister, then says she's not, then the epilogue leaves it dubious (And only the guy who did the DNA test at the end knows for sure who she is thinking of it), then Zdarsky's run confirms she is, now Spencer says she might not be, sheesh lol.

It's kinda funny that when Teresa talks about the picture, Chameleon's own attempts at manipulating her makes it sound like he's lying, first, he says she found the picture by accident, when that wasn't the case, she found it while investigating a room Fury brought her in that she wasn't aware of, and then Chameleon talks like Fury might've been a Chameleon, that, would be a colossal coincidence that Fury just happened to have been replaced by a Chameleon in that situation, not to mention he says she might've planted the picture there, when she's in another universe, yeah... He really doesn't help his own case and Teresa doesn't notice it lol.

Also that whole Chameleon school they mentioned, anyone knows if that's something new Spencer decided to bring? Or did another story mention it? 'Cause whole "We have many Chameleons around" could be another possible lie too.

Thanks.

Also I'm kinda ready for the possibility that all of this teasing about OMD will lead nowhere and that Peter/MJ won't learn what they did, 'cause, yeah, always be ready for disappointment, 'cause as much as Spencer's run had good ****, it also had some really dumb moments and he's still the guy who wrote Secret Empire.
    I've re-read the run thrice now.Once on 30th, then before LR and before SW.It gets much better in trade, the teasing works and the writing is always on point character wise unlike Slott whose issues feel like a chore to get through.

I like the twist, and I hope she's not his biological sister.But that Peter offers her that she can still be his sister if she wants too, I think that would be great.Also helps w/ the lost sister/Sibling thing that's been rampant in comics.Nightwing and Reed recently have taken a part of that.

Miles's clone saga was like 4-5 issues as well.

I like the school idea, and that+Teresa makes for a very compelling arc if written well.

Spencer has delivered so far, Major complaints are 1)Pacing and 2)Convoluted.And Secret empire makes me think he has learned, he won't make the same mistake twice.

You stopped reading after LR too man? Huh, guess I wasn't the only one that annoyed lol.

Wonder if someone would want to use her, as much as I don't mind the concept of Teresa that much, but nobody did much with her as a character, she's disconnected from Peter's friends and family despite being family (Regardless of whether or not she's girl-Chameleon, Peter considers her family, yet the one interaction she had with aunt May was both off-screen, and Peter didn't confirm tell aunt May who Teresa is), and while her story with Chameleon could be interesting, even if it was generic revenge **** (Not helped that it started because of some boyfriend Teresa had, who wasn't mentioned before and got fridged), it went nowhere, and now she just switched targets, since she now wants to have revenge against the Finisher instead of Chameleon.

Hell, Spencer also did her no favors by bringing this "she may not be Peter's sister after all" again, instead of moving past that, she's gonna anguish over that, again lol.

With how she's not popular, her clone saga would be a small story happening at the same time as another story Spidey is having, and hell, probably would keep zig zagging who she really is.

Like, Family Business says she's Peter's sister, then says she's not, then the epilogue leaves it dubious (And only the guy who did the DNA test at the end knows for sure who she is thinking of it), then Zdarsky's run confirms she is, now Spencer says she might not be, sheesh lol.

It's kinda funny that when Teresa talks about the picture, Chameleon's own attempts at manipulating her makes it sound like he's lying, first, he says she found the picture by accident, when that wasn't the case, she found it while investigating a room Fury brought her in that she wasn't aware of, and then Chameleon talks like Fury might've been a Chameleon, that, would be a colossal coincidence that Fury just happened to have been replaced by a Chameleon in that situation, not to mention he says she might've planted the picture there, when she's in another universe, yeah... He really doesn't help his own case and Teresa doesn't notice it lol.

Also that whole Chameleon school they mentioned, anyone knows if that's something new Spencer decided to bring? Or did another story mention it? 'Cause whole "We have many Chameleons around" could be another possible lie too.

Thanks.

Also I'm kinda ready for the possibility that all of this teasing about OMD will lead nowhere and that Peter/MJ won't learn what they did, 'cause, yeah, always be ready for disappointment, 'cause as much as Spencer's run had good ****, it also had some really dumb moments and he's still the guy who wrote Secret Empire.
    It was less me being annoyed and more me remembering why i dropped the book before, i first stopped reading when 2099 was happening, i came back when Sins of Norman Osborn was being published and i was like "this is great why i stopped reading this run" then LR happened and i was like "oh, right that" lol. I like his run well enought, but i prefer it when i don't had to wait for the next issue.

Teresa is a characther that i neither like or dislike, whenever she appears i'm just kind of indifferent from most of her scenes, so i really don't know what to make of her maybe i should read.Family Bussines or finish Zdarsky Spec (i dropped it on 300), but to me she is just a connection to an aspect of Peter's backstory that i don't really care.

As for the ending, well i do believe that they would know, but wheter we get a good story out of it or not is the real question. Of course, is possible that this is gonna be the prologue for some future storyline that is gonna be a mega-Spider-man event lol.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I've re-read the run thrice now.Once on 30th, then before LR and before SW.It gets much better in trade, the teasing works and the writing is always on point character wise unlike Slott whose issues feel like a chore to get through.
    Yeah, writing characters is Spencer's strong point, pacing's still a problem even in trade since at times there are scenes that are basically "Man, he's just wasting time here".

I like the twist, and I hope she's not his biological sister.
    I don't mind the twist itself that much, though I think being girl-Chameleon is lame, problem is the constant zig zagging about who she is gets annoying.

And hell, on the DC side, writers not deciding who a character is, is why Donna is such a disastrous trainwreck with a backstory almost as convoluted as Hawkman's (I like to say she's a female Hawkman 'cause of that lol), and writers focusing only in these parts of the character instead of, y'know, writing the fucking character and developing 'em, is not a good thing, and since nobody so far has bothered to actually develop Teresa, she might end up being mini-Donna, in that her character is kinda bland and writers just add convoluted twists to her background.

But that Peter offers her that she can still be his sister if she wants too,
    Yeah Peter has consistently treated her like a sister, even when he wasn't sure if she really was, it's honestly kinda weird thinking of it, guess he likes the idea of having a sibling.

I think that would be great.Also helps w/ the lost sister/Sibling thing that's been rampant in comics.Nightwing and Reed recently have taken a part of that.
    It's a stupid cliché yeah, but it can add to the characters, or if the sibling turns out to be cool.

Didn't know Nightwing and Reed got on this, is Reed's sibling like Johnny by any chance? Lol

Miles's clone saga was like 4-5 issues as well.
    Miles got a clone saga?

I like the school idea, and that+Teresa makes for a very compelling arc if written well.
    Yeah but it's out of Spencer's hands now, the whole thing kinda feels like it was added "I wanna say Teresa may not be Peter's sister, and to end this Clairvoyant **** right now".

Spencer has delivered so far, Major complaints are 1)Pacing and 2)Convoluted.
    Another problem is how little focus we have on Peter's social life, which he even points out in ASM#60 how he's losing more and more of himself to the suit, and then nothing changes, yeah...

It's specially noticeable considering that Spencer gave him a different status quo, but Spidey's social life is such a small part of it that it took over 20 issues for him to actually get into college, and then Spidey barely showed up in college, and when he did it was mostly related to Clairvoyant, and we don't see any other character being developed besides Jamie.

And Secret empire makes me think he has learned, he won't make the same mistake twice.
    I mean, one of the big issues in SE is how magic has no real limit to what it can do, and it's a problem that repeats itself a lot with Kindred with all of the bullshit he can pull, including making Sin Eater be essentially a stronger Regent, which's huge.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    It was less me being annoyed and more me remembering why i dropped the book before, i first stopped reading when 2099 was happening, i came back when Sins of Norman Osborn was being published and i was like "this is great why i stopped reading this run" then LR happened and i was like "oh, right that" lol. I like his run well enought, but i prefer it when i don't had to wait for the next issue.
    Yeah at times his run hits this "hit and miss" territory, 'cause man, all that build up for Miguel coming back and all he does is magically being a battery for Clairvoyant... I found that ridiculously shitty and I'm not even a fan of the character lol.

Teresa is a characther that i neither like or dislike, whenever she appears i'm just kind of indifferent from most of her scenes, so i really don't know what to make of her maybe i should read.Family Bussines or finish Zdarsky Spec (i dropped it on 300), but to me she is just a connection to an aspect of Peter's backstory that i don't really care.
    She's a character who in theory should be really bad, y'know, secret sister and a secret agent like her parents, but, ends up being whatever, she's not really hurting anything about Peter's character or background story, but she's also really not doing to add to his story, or being much of a characters besides "Secret agent" and "Peter's sister" lol.

What Spencer does with her before Chameleon conspiracy is really not that different from what Family Business and Zdarsky did with her, all Spencer did was add the revenge angle after a while, then that "She may be girl-Chameleon", but, yeah, she's kinda just there.

As for the ending, well i do believe that they would know, but wheter we get a good story out of it or not is the real question. Of course, is possible that this is gonna be the prologue for some future storyline that is gonna be a mega-Spider-man event lol.
    It'd be so lame if that's just a prologue for another story, 'cause I think Sinister War is Spencer's last story, and leaving something for another writer to solve is a recipe for disaster lol.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, writing characters is Spencer's strong point, pacing's still a problem even in trade since at times there are scenes that are basically "Man, he's just wasting time here".

I don't mind the twist itself that much, though I think being girl-Chameleon is lame, problem is the constant zig zagging about who she is gets annoying.

And hell, on the DC side, writers not deciding who a character is, is why Donna is such a disastrous trainwreck with a backstory almost as convoluted as Hawkman's (I like to say she's a female Hawkman 'cause of that lol), and writers focusing only in these parts of the character instead of, y'know, writing the fucking character and developing 'em, is not a good thing, and since nobody so far has bothered to actually develop Teresa, she might end up being mini-Donna, in that her character is kinda bland and writers just add convoluted twists to her background.

Yeah Peter has consistently treated her like a sister, even when he wasn't sure if she really was, it's honestly kinda weird thinking of it, guess he likes the idea of having a sibling.

It's a stupid cliché yeah, but it can add to the characters, or if the sibling turns out to be cool.

Didn't know Nightwing and Reed got on this, is Reed's sibling like Johnny by any chance? Lol

Miles got a clone saga?

Yeah but it's out of Spencer's hands now, the whole thing kinda feels like it was added "I wanna say Teresa may not be Peter's sister, and to end this Clairvoyant **** right now".

Another problem is how little focus we have on Peter's social life, which he even points out in ASM#60 how he's losing more and more of himself to the suit, and then nothing changes, yeah...

It's specially noticeable considering that Spencer gave him a different status quo, but Spidey's social life is such a small part of it that it took over 20 issues for him to actually get into college, and then Spidey barely showed up in college, and when he did it was mostly related to Clairvoyant, and we don't see any other character being developed besides Jamie.

I mean, one of the big issues in SE is how magic has no real limit to what it can do, and it's a problem that repeats itself a lot with Kindred with all of the bullshit he can pull, including making Sin Eater be essentially a stronger Regent, which's huge.
    Yeah, the pacing isn't good even in trade but it's not a problem.You can just speed-read it or even ignore it, and there's no wait.

I hope we do get answers, whatever they are.It has a lot of potential IMO.

I think it's more he knows how terrible loneliness can be.Accepting her helps him and her make that hurt less.

They revealed Reed's in the recent issue w/ the Kangs.We haven't met the sibling yet.

Miles did, it was pretty tame.They promised a big ramification and we didn't get one that was close to the hype they built up for it.

Maybe Spencer didn't get the time, anyways other writers can pick it up if they please.

Hard agree on the social life, I think he could have dropped a sub-plot for more of that.

It's not just his writing that has gotten better, he used to be pretty active and political, toxic, etc. interacting w/ fans online.He shut all of that out, and focused on writing the comic book and it worked.I'm here for the redemption arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Yeah, the pacing isn't good even in trade but it's not a problem.You can just speed-read it or even ignore it, and there's no wait.
    Having to speed read or ignoring issues doesn't remove the pacing issues, I don't find it that much of a deal breaker (Well, most of the time, I dropped after LR for a while partially 'cause of it), but it's still there.

No wait for the next part is a great improvement yeah, 'cause Spencer definitely didn't make a "this issue has plenty of stuff by itself and the next one will continue the plot", more often than not it was "there's barely anything going on here and it's setting up the next issue", which is what made Last Remains really annoying 'cause, when Spidey actually talks with Kindred, that's what the rest of the story keeps doing lol.

I hope we do get answers, whatever they are.It has a lot of potential IMO.
    Sure, potential is there, but as great as potential can be, it's ultimately worthless if nothing comes from it, and the longer she's around with no potential being used, the more likely she's not gonna amount to much as a character, and if the writers keep making the mistake of retconning her past, well, she may become a mini Donna after all lol.

Honestly if another writer decides to go for "Teresa isn't Peter's sister" route, I just hope that the girl-Chameleon angle isn't used, just really not a fan of that one lol.

I think it's more he knows how terrible loneliness can be.Accepting her helps him and her make that hurt less.
    It's still really weird because, it's not like Peter really lacks that many loved ones, while Teresa is a stranger to him more or less back in Zdarsky's run in Spectacular, yet, the way he treated her before and after finding out she's his sister didn't change, as he treated her as a sister no matter what.

And sure, they did have a previous adventure before Zdarsky's run, but that lasted like a week, really not enough time for them to grow that close, and while Teresa does sincerely seem to see him as a brother, again, just happened too fast.

Considering that Peter started to treat her as a sister pretty fast, and she does see him as a brother pretty fast and still does so even with the possibility that's not the case, well... Guess that's another weird thing they have in common, 'cause there's the one where she smashed the Clairvoyant and refused to confirm the truth, kinda like what Peter did on the original clone saga, but again, different reasons for those actions, still weird to have those specific traits in common lol.

They revealed Reed's in the recent issue w/ the Kangs.We haven't met the sibling yet.
    Ah, thanks.

Miles did, it was pretty tame.They promised a big ramification and we didn't get one that was close to the hype they built up for it.
    Sounds like it's following the clone saga tradition then

Maybe Spencer didn't get the time, anyways other writers can pick it up if they please.
    Spencer had over 70 issues from ASM itself, plus whatever tie-ins and those Giant Sized issues, time is what he did not lack.

Hard agree on the social life, I think he could have dropped a sub-plot for more of that.
    Definitely, and it's specially annoying considering that Spencer's strong point is writing characters, so he could potentially add a lot of interesting stuff to Peter's social life, but the social life moments are really scarce, and the few times they're used, they're generally setting up something for the Spidey side, like how Randy barely had a role that was just "some roommate", and he only got some more attention when it was suddenly revealed he's dating Janice... only MJ moments are really an exception.

So unfortunately, Spencer's run got the same issue so many other modern Spidey runs have with his social life either not being there, or being there for the sake of feeding into the Spidey side, but at least the moments with MJ are very nice.

It's not just his writing that has gotten better, he used to be pretty active and political, toxic, etc. interacting w/ fans online.He shut all of that out, and focused on writing the comic book and it worked.I'm here for the redemption arc.
    Sure, he definitely improved, but stories like the 2099 arc and Last Remains show he's still capable of writing utterly boring stories (Not as bad as SE at least), an issue Sinister War kinda shares with 'em since the "war" itself didn't add that much to the story, specially with Otto defeating all of the villains in a way that Slott would be proud of lol.

But hey, maybe the ending will improve stuff, I'll still think Sinister War's kinda eh overall, but a nice ending can help, though considering Spencer's track record, I'm not trusting that, but I'd be glad to be wrong.

If i can say somethig possitive about the 2099 arc is that it reminded me that i haven't finished PAD modern run on Miguel, so thanks Spencer, you reminded that i had unfinished homework lol.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Slott and to a lesser extent Jim Wacker posted here and most ( but to be fair not all) of the interactions were not positive. The thing he did that irked me was the Peter and Charlie Brown comparisons. He generally came off as a smart ass. It was actually sad because he could have brought more to the table then snarky comments that he knew would piss people off.

JIM!?!

All that work for nothin'!

-Jim