Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: ASM 73 full

Quote Originally Posted by federicodettofred View Post
    The original Harry Osborn (who died in SSM 200) is the one lying in the morgue as the Post-OMD Harry says "I never came back". So, I guess the "new" one is either a clone or something else.
    Oh, okay. Maybe he is a clone with originals soul, like Connors family. I mean, why else would Spencer establish that bit with Doc Strange?

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I honestly love how chaotic this whole run has been. It's a C/C+ without editorial context, but with that knowledge, it's an A+
    Can you elaborate on the editorial context ? If so, thanks a lot.

Extraordinary Member

I honestly love how chaotic this whole run has been. It's a C/C+ without editorial context, but with that knowledge, it's an A+
    It so good because he knows his sh*t imo.He has not ignored anything from Sins past and even when retconning it American Son.He referenced Legacy of Evil.Most writers don't even know about the last 2.

And everything came together here nearly perfectly, it's actually astonishing how he built all this and we had no idea what was going on but in just 1-2 issues it all comes together and it fits nearly perfectly.

And OMD(and Sins Past and other smaller stuff) and great writing of characters and fixing them is enough of a hook to stay for the long haul.

Stuff like Kindred works best when you have a big thing the audience knows but the characters don't, if it was the other way around most wouldn't stick through this.Imagine if Kindred revealed the deal to us, but we never got any of the stories that happened pre-OMD from where BND picks up, it would be weird and unsatisfying.

And OMD is the biggest thing and probably the only thing close enough in magnitude for this to work for any major fictional character.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 09-08-2021 at 03:03 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    Can you elaborate on the editorial context ? If so, thanks a lot.
    So I mean in it two ways, I should have been more clear.
    First of all, it's a miracle this comic is holding as it is, Spencer has had to deal with his story being put in one shots that conclude arcs and supplementary issues, the fact he didn't leave earlier is kind of great.

The second is that it's a story that is basically retconing everything that People have hated about Spider-man in the last 15 years. This isn't a standalone story but an admittance that the Character has lost their way.

It's cleaning House, but leaving a massive mess in a room.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    It so good because he knows his sh*t imo.He has not ignored anything from Sins past and even when retconning it American Son.He referenced Legacy of Evil.Most writers don't even know about the last 2.

And everything came together here nearly perfectly, it's actually astonishing how he built all this and we had no idea what was going on but in just 1-2 issues it all comes together and it fits nearly perfectly.

And OMD(and Sins Past and other smaller stuff) and great writing of characters and fixing them is enough of a hook to stay for the long haul.

Stuff like Kindred works best when you have a big thing the audience knows but the characters don't, if it was the other way around most wouldn't stick through this.Imagine if Kindred revealed the deal to us, but we never got any of the stories that happened pre-OMD from where BND picks up, it would be weird and unsatisfying.

And OMD is the biggest thing and probably the only thing close enough in magnitude for this to work for any major fictional character.
    This is what happens when you begin your career under the wings of Hickman.

Extraordinary Member

This is what happens when you begin your career under the wings of Hickman.
    Could you elaborate?

Extraordinary Member

So I mean in it two ways, I should have been more clear.
    First of all, it's a miracle this comic is holding as it is, Spencer has had to deal with his story being put in one shots that conclude arcs and supplementary issues, the fact he didn't leave earlier is kind of great.

The second is that it's a story that is basically retconing everything that People have hated about Spider-man in the last 15 years. This isn't a standalone story but an admittance that the Character has lost their way.

It's cleaning House, but leaving a massive mess in a room.
    The speech in 60, Peter admitting to all the things that have gone wrong and that he hasn't grown.It's so good.

The thing is, Spider-man has always grown and in most people's canon he would never be like this.I can comfortably say he isn't.

Spencer instead of ignoring this, addresses it so others can fix it(Marvel didn't seem to get the message).It's like a f*cked up meal he's trying to clean up so others can use the kitchen much better and not get their food contaminated by the mess.He could have just made his own side salad and call it a day and it would be fine, w/ his writing it would be great but he choose to fix other people's mess at that cost and it hopefully it will pay off in the long run.

Mighty Member

Could you elaborate?
    When Spencer first started at Marvel, he worked a lot with Hickman who likes to juggle long form storytelling while also giving homage to the past. If you compare the two writing styles, you'll see a lot of overlap, even if Spencer did come into his own and is not as defined (which is why the Kindred arc felt longer than it needed to be).

Extraordinary Member

When Spencer first started at Marvel, he worked a lot with Hickman who likes to juggle long form storytelling while also giving homage to the past. If you compare the two writing styles, you'll see a lot of overlap, even if Spencer did come into his own and is not as defined (which is why the Kindred arc felt longer than it needed to be).
    Oh okay.That makes sense, I wasn't aware he worked w/ Hickman that much but when I think about it it shows.
    He's not on Hickman level yet, but he's doing it in a solo book while not making big changes to how the characters work and their environemnt.

One thing he does have Hickman beat on is characters.Characters in ASM have been on point, better than ever whereas in X-men most of them have been OOC.Avengers was in character though.

Looking forward to his creator owned stuff.

Mighty Member

Oh okay.That makes sense, I wasn't aware he worked w/ Hickman that much but when I think about it it shows.
    He's not on Hickman level yet, but he's doing it in a solo book while not making big changes to how the characters work and their environemnt.

One thing he does have Hickman beat on is characters.Characters in ASM have been on point, better than ever whereas in X-men most of them have been OOC.Avengers was in character though.

Looking forward to his creator owned stuff.
    Funnily enough, he did a few issues with Hickman on Avengers just before the Infinity event.
    On a side note too, it's funny to think they both worked on the same issue where Miles Morales debuted (Ultimate Fallout #4). Most folks tend to forget that Hickman was an architect for the Ultimate Universe just before Avengers, and I'm sure he helped Spencer out with X-Men over there.

Man I’m so glad I finally just cut the cord on this and moved on. I don’t even understand what’s going on at this point. This entire kindred run has just been all over the place. All this time later and we still have posters saying “It looks like OMD will
    Be addressed”.

Anyway props to people that can stomach this and stick with it. This is an example of what happens when a writer tries to be too smart for his own good. This run will be a text book example of what a convoluted mess looks like. What a shame cause Spencer’s run had so much potential.

Extraordinary Member

Funnily enough, he did a few issues with Hickman on Avengers just before the Infinity event.
    On a side note too, it's funny to think they both worked on the same issue where Miles Morales debuted (Ultimate Fallout #4). Most folks tend to forget that Hickman was an architect for the Ultimate Universe just before Avengers, and I'm sure he helped Spencer out with X-Men over there.
    Yeah, I remember the Miles thing.
    Spencer's work really gets shown in a new light after this for me.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

This is getting so convoluted, but I can't lie that I'm enjoying it and it helps that this run has teased so much for the kindred character, I'm glad we are getting many answers and being raised even more questions. It'll be interesting to see how someone writes another harry story in the future.

So there are three Harrys now. His AI, the Kindred persona and the one with Carly. Now the one with Carly that was the clone body that Norman created no? Or that whole Mysterio and Norman team up didn't happen
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

I'm glad that Sins Past was retconned, but at the same time, it's such a lazy and underwhelming way to handle it, just a retcon in the sake of retcon, lol. It came completely out of nowhere.