Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: ASM 73 full

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    So I mean in it two ways, I should have been more clear.
    First of all, it's a miracle this comic is holding as it is, Spencer has had to deal with his story being put in one shots that conclude arcs and supplementary issues, the fact he didn't leave earlier is kind of great.

The second is that it's a story that is basically retconing everything that People have hated about Spider-man in the last 15 years. This isn't a standalone story but an admittance that the Character has lost their way.

It's cleaning House, but leaving a massive mess in a room.
    What’s nuts is it means at one point Spencer had to read stuff like ‘Life Theft’, ‘Sins Past’ and OMD… the poor guy.

Fantastic Member

This run has such garbage writing and pacing. Kindred being Harry and the Harry weve known was a clone was one of the safest and easiest guesses you could make, but here we are telling that with ridiculously convoluted means in the second to last issue, with the hows and whys still being explained.

Compare that to the last run's finale, Red Goblin, where by the final issue, we knew what Norman's goal was, how big of a threat he was, and what the stakes were. Story was not amazing, but at least narratively, it was by all means a finale. We still don't have clear explination of Kindred's motive and reasoning against Peter, which might taken up 60 of the last issue's pages.

The Stacy twins being the container bodies for Kindred is kinda a nice way to retcon it, but again raises questions of why Parker is even being targeted since it's all on Norman, and how was he able to punch a hole through his head, it spew bugs and grow back, if it was just some lab grown human shells. Seems like a major afterthought trying to work off the fact the revolving door of artists drew Kindred differently over his appearances, which is fun to work with, but reeks of no real grand scheme, just making it up as they go.

Theres alotta fun stuff in this series but it's like eating a cake with icing just slapped on in clumps in spots rather than spread evenly across the entire cake. Like, yeah it's great when I have a bite with icing but damn everywhere else is really missing something.

Astonishing Member

The biggest problem of this run is actually pretty common for both Marvel and DC. People can't leave past behind, they demand on retconning something they don't like, demand to ''fix'' something, etc. And Spencer seems like this kind of guy, who came not to write his story, but cancel the previous ones which he and fans hate. It's not necessarily bad, but dedicating entire run to this, I don't know. And it could have better execution at least.
    And also I wonder how people, who started to read Marvel not long ago feel about such emphasis on stories which happened many years ago.

I just read it crazy stuff I just got a question kindred said to Peter before I've died so many times does he mean he took over the twins bodies so many times they died he tried again and on and on so does he plan to take over the BND Harry that is walking around if so that would make it appear that harry is crazy insane which matches with the leaks

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    Man I’m so glad I finally just cut the cord on this and moved on. I don’t even understand what’s going on at this point. This entire kindred run has just been all over the place. All this time later and we still have posters saying “It looks like OMD will
    Be addressed”.

Anyway props to people that can stomach this and stick with it. This is an example of what happens when a writer tries to be too smart for his own good. This run will be a text book example of what a convoluted mess looks like. What a shame cause Spencer’s run had so much potential.
    It's a love and hate relationship with this story for many of us.
    Why are we like this :V

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    It's a love and hate relationship with this story for many of us.
    Why are we like this :V
    Cause you love Spider-Man some just gotta dial that love a back though.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Cause you love Spider-Man some just gotta dial that love a back though.
    This is so true it hurts, this is definitely me too.
    Although it doesn't affect my life so it's not a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post
    This run has such garbage writing and pacing. Kindred being Harry and the Harry weve known was a clone was one of the safest and easiest guesses you could make, but here we are telling that with ridiculously convoluted means in the second to last issue, with the hows and whys still being explained.

Compare that to the last run's finale, Red Goblin, where by the final issue, we knew what Norman's goal was, how big of a threat he was, and what the stakes were. Story was not amazing, but at least narratively, it was by all means a finale. We still don't have clear explination of Kindred's motive and reasoning against Peter, which might taken up 60 of the last issue's pages.

The Stacy twins being the container bodies for Kindred is kinda a nice way to retcon it, but again raises questions of why Parker is even being targeted since it's all on Norman, and how was he able to punch a hole through his head, it spew bugs and grow back, if it was just some lab grown human shells. Seems like a major afterthought trying to work off the fact the revolving door of artists drew Kindred differently over his appearances, which is fun to work with, but reeks of no real grand scheme, just making it up as they go.

Theres alotta fun stuff in this series but it's like eating a cake with icing just slapped on in clumps in spots rather than spread evenly across the entire cake. Like, yeah it's great when I have a bite with icing but damn everywhere else is really missing something.
    That cake analogy I like it

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    The biggest problem of this run is actually pretty common for both Marvel and DC. People can't leave past behind, they demand on retconning something they don't like, demand to ''fix'' something, etc. And Spencer seems like this kind of guy, who came not to write his story, but cancel the previous ones which he and fans hate. It's not necessarily bad, but dedicating entire run to this, I don't know. And it could have better execution at least.
    And also I wonder how people, who started to read Marvel not long ago feel about such emphasis on stories which happened many years ago.
    And what about people who will read future runs and will be confused by stuff like Sins Past, OMD, Karven, etc.And not to mention how every characters in made better in the run.

Every future reader and writer benefits from this, it's a small price to pay.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post

The bigger goal is to smooth continuity and make it better for both long time and future readers.
    Your right about the cake, but he has limited amounts of icing and the "cake" here is the mess Spider-man continuity has become and the icing is him trying to fix it and make it better.
    The important thing is the bad cake isn't his fault, he's just fixing it.He's making a stronger and stable foundation so others have an easier time working on the cake.
    And not to mention he's using the right tools the right way, as in every characters is completely in character and they all get to shine.

Mighty Member

Well, huh. That was a whole issue just to explain the how of the Stacy twins (probably need a new name - someone start workshopping this). With no explanation for the how any of Kindred's deeds (resurrections, dream walking, etc), no real movement on the Mephisto front, and no movement towards some sort of catharsis for any character, I'm starting to wonder if 96 pages for ASM 74/875 will be enough!

A few thoughts:

*It's hopefully a coloring error that both Stacy twins are wearing identical outfits in this issue - Stillanerd's explanation that there were different outfits each of them was really perfect and I'd hate for it to have been an accident

*BNDHarry is walking away in one of the last pages where AIHarry says they're all under one roof, so that means the players on site for the finale are Peter, MJ, Carlie, Norman, BNDHarry, Gabriel, Sarah, and Mysterio(?), right? Plus Strange and Mephisto gambling/watching on tv

*The next Green Goblin story needs to be which ever of Norman or Harry defeating Peter by using a straightforward plan he doesn't see coming. Just, like, "Harry attacks Pete and Pete got distracted looking for the wheels within wheels part of the plan." No bystanders, no allies tied up on a bridge, no Rube Goldberg project. Mix it up a bit and see if that works

*As far as the retcon goes, this is incredibly complicated and absurd, and it still doesn't really explain any number of elements in the run (what sins has Kindred been yelling about for the last 40 issues#, where do the powers come from, etc.).

*For those of us that see the similarities between Spencer's run on ASM and King's run on Batman, having the penultimate issue be a "what really happened behinds the scenes" story will not hurt the comparison. At this point, I expect Kite Man to yell "Hell Yeah" before he punches Mephisto or something

*As a practical matter, the AIHarry and Stacy twins as the big bads is fine and more or less appropriate for a long time reader (AI Harry is a DEEP cut), but it's really dirty pool for newer readers. It's also pretty poor form as a narrative - I'm not treating this as a classic mystery story, but there's no pop to a re-read when there are no clues or hints about the resolution anywhere in the first two thirds of the run.

*In the Last Remains epilogue issues, Normie pointed out BNDHarry still had Goblin gear in the house - is that plot going anywhere or is it just a misdirect with no follow through?

#While I have a really good guess and you have a really good guess, it remains unclear why Kindred thinks OMD affects him in the slightest - Spencer backfilled why OG Harry is in Hell, how BNDHarry came about, and that this plot must have been hatched before OG Harry's death in SSM200.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

So I read the reddit comments and chuckle at the one that suggested that the Gwen Norman slept with is actually Mysterio with a blonde wig. I don't have any reason not to believe that

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Well, huh. That was a whole issue just to explain the how of the Stacy twins (probably need a new name - someone start workshopping this). With no explanation for the how any of Kindred's deeds (resurrections, dream walking, etc), no real movement on the Mephisto front, and no movement towards some sort of catharsis for any character, I'm starting to wonder if 96 pages for ASM 74/875 will be enough!

A few thoughts:

*It's hopefully a coloring error that both Stacy twins are wearing identical outfits in this issue - Stillanerd's explanation that there were different outfits each of them was really perfect and I'd hate for it to have been an accident

*BNDHarry is walking away in one of the last pages where AIHarry says they're all under one roof, so that means the players on site for the finale are Peter, MJ, Carlie, Norman, BNDHarry, Gabriel, Sarah, and Mysterio(?), right? Plus Strange and Mephisto gambling/watching on tv

*The next Green Goblin story needs to be which ever of Norman or Harry defeating Peter by using a straightforward plan he doesn't see coming. Just, like, "Harry attacks Pete and Pete got distracted looking for the wheels within wheels part of the plan." No bystanders, no allies tied up on a bridge, no Rube Goldberg project. Mix it up a bit and see if that works

*As far as the retcon goes, this is incredibly complicated and absurd, and it still doesn't really explain any number of elements in the run (what sins has Kindred been yelling about for the last 40 issues#, where do the powers come from, etc.).

*For those of us that see the similarities between Spencer's run on ASM and King's run on Batman, having the penultimate issue be a "what really happened behinds the scenes" story will not hurt the comparison. At this point, I expect Kite Man to yell "Hell Yeah" before he punches Mephisto or something

*As a practical matter, the AIHarry and Stacy twins as the big bads is fine and more or less appropriate for a long time reader (AI Harry is a DEEP cut), but it's really dirty pool for newer readers. It's also pretty poor form as a narrative - I'm not treating this as a classic mystery story, but there's no pop to a re-read when there are no clues or hints about the resolution anywhere in the first two thirds of the run.

*In the Last Remains epilogue issues, Normie pointed out BNDHarry still had Goblin gear in the house - is that plot going anywhere or is it just a misdirect with no follow through?

#While I have a really good guess and you have a really good guess, it remains unclear why Kindred thinks OMD affects him in the slightest - Spencer backfilled why OG Harry is in Hell, how BNDHarry came about, and that this plot must have been hatched before OG Harry's death in SSM200.
    the way I see harry is mad angry
    he died a hero
    his dad sacrificed his soul hes stuck in hell
    peter and mj made a deal like his dad
    he got screwed over and didn't come back
    he sees a fake harry running around

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krec99 View Post
    the way I see harry is mad angry
    he died a hero
    his dad sacrificed his soul hes stuck in hell
    peter and mj made a deal like his dad
    he got screwed over and didn't come back
    he sees a fake harry running around
    That's a fair guess, but we're still without concrete answers. We don't even know OG Harry's soul is part of Kindred yet because it's not on the page.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Fantastic Member

I’m more confused as to whether Harry is going to try and kill MJ or not… says she has to face her sins, but previous issues had him say he didn’t want to hurt her. Anyways, hope Peter sends the whiner back down under in 74.