Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    And it's also, and most importantly, free.

Start to sell this and we'll see a very different number.
    Webtoon has paid content. You can buy coins to see future chapters. That's how this business gets income, it seems to be really sustainable.

It's relatively cheap. I could buy two chapters for one dollar (I still have thirty coins, but it isn't enough for another chapter).
    Last edited by Konja7; 09-19-2021 at 02:48 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I have no idea how they came up with those for Duke and Tim. I mean, Duke's nice but a "cinnamon roll" who is gullible?

How does Tim have no sense of direction!?
    this is not comic continuity accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    this is not comic continuity accurate.
    I know, but they're practically making up character traits .

I know, but they're practically making up character traits .
    well, yes and no. I can't speak for everyone, though I'm sure it's likely a similar situation, but for Duke the evolution of this sorta wide-eyed gullible characterization has been pretty prominent in the Slice of Life/Tumblr-sphere of the DC fandom for a few years now. it's basically something that snowballed out of that one burger scene in I Am Bane due to many batfans not really having a good idea of who Duke is; which in part probably came from him being the only member that was created in their lifetime and not having as much material to base off of. around this time there we also alot of "metalhead" Duke content and takes due a scene involving a vulgar batman joke, which came out if All-Star Batman but let's not get bogged down into that. i feel it's more of a fundamental misunderstanding of the character more than something that's just made up.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    well, yes and no. I can't speak for everyone, though I'm sure it's likely a similar situation, but for Duke the evolution of this sorta wide-eyed gullible characterization has been pretty prominent in the Slice of Life/Tumblr-sphere of the DC fandom for a few years now. it's basically something that snowballed out of that one burger scene in I Am Bane due to many batfans not really having a good idea of who Duke is; which in part probably came from him being the only member that was created in their lifetime and not having as much material to base off of. around this time there we also alot of "metalhead" Duke content and takes due a scene involving a vulgar batman joke, which came out if All-Star Batman but let's not get bogged down into that. i feel it's more of a fundamental misunderstanding of the character more than something that's just made up.
    Oh yeah, the Bat-Burger scene...

Extraordinary Member

Oh yeah, the Bat-Burger scene...

I hope we get this kind of content in Robins from Tim Seely

I feel like I'm the only one who didn't love that scene.

Extraordinary Member

I feel like I'm the only one who didn't love that scene.
    Hes drinking a nightwing Shake !!! How can you not love it

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Hes drinking a nightwing Shake !!! How can you not love it
    There was a certain novelty to it but it was around the time King's characterization issues and reducing characters to fit the plot started happening.

I just realized. Tim having no sense of direction is probably meta commentary. DC doesn't seem to know where to lead him half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I just realized. Tim having no sense of direction is probably meta commentary. DC doesn't seem to know where to lead him half the time.
    Seems about right then.

Really, most of that is based on the fluff Bat-family fanfics I've come across. Bruce being a decent dad (which goes hard against comics of the last 20+ years or so), Duke being a "cinnamon roll" (just all around good guy), Tim being a coffee addict, Jason, I guess you could call it the "PG" version of him (stealing a bit, a bit confrontational, but still a good guy), Damian "working on his people skills" (being a little ****). Sure, a bit extra, but yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    ...Okay, that makes sense.

But why coffee addict?

But why coffee addict?
    I know its a big thing in fanfics, but I assume it came from a Red Robin issue, if anything. Though I could well be wrong.

But why coffee addict?
    Fandom. It's a trait that's headcanon for a lot of people in communities that create content (fanfics, fancomics, etc) all across the Internet. It's why Jason is nowadays showing that white steak so much in elseworlds; it's mostly a fanon thing, even if it was a one-time wonder in the "canon". This webtoon draws a lot from fan-canon.

@Jackal: I don't remember Tim drinking tons of coffee in RR, but I don't know; it's been a while :/. I picture him more like a cocoa guy.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 09-19-2021 at 11:31 PM.

I'm curious if anyone has taken the time to really look into the origins of these fanfic characterizations. With Duke it's a pretty straight line because he's so new but I'm curious how the perception of the characters changed in such a way that would produce these interpretations.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."