View Poll Results: What traits do you like in Penguin?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Elegant/Classy

31 73.81%
  • Grimy

6 14.29%
  • English (or otherwise foreign)

4 9.52%
  • A native Gothamite

15 35.71%
  • Deformed & Sympathetic

7 16.67%
  • Crass & Brutish

6 14.29%
  • Strong Bird Theme

11 26.19%
  • Grounded Mobster

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Default How do you like your Penguin?

Out of all of Batman's villains, it seems like The Penguin has had the most varied interpretations and depictions across different media. Is he an elegant, high-class criminal? Or is he a crude, grimy brute? Is he English (or foreign of any kind), or does he sound like other Gothamites? Does he have a fascination with birds or a kind of sympathetic deformity, or does he just have a pointy nose? Perhaps you like a combination of the above traits; which ones?

Discuss!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I like the physically deformed underworld boss gentleman of crime

Strong bird theme definitely

Burgess Meredith and Nolan North voice

Belly size of Jose Luis Garcia Lopez version

Burton version of winter coat

Born and raised in Gotham since his great grandpa was a mayor there and he has a manor, but can be of British descent

Gentleman mask most of the time but brutish in a fight or in bed (tmi)... wait, no, that doesn't make sense. He'd want to be a gentle lover too, so the brute part is only when he's angered to the point of losing control.

Not actually grimy. Doesn't eat raw fish unless it's sushi or the like. Has high taste.

Naturally curly but he straighten it.

The deformity is sympathetic but only in his back story. Any kind of sympathy is gone as ruthless crime boss.

Bisexuality optional. I don't know if comic Penguin would be interested in comic Riddler. I feel like they would find each other beneath them.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-28-2022 at 08:13 AM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I like him with certain contradictions.

He wants to be Burgess Meredith, an affable, witty and charming ne'er do well with a wink for those he fancies and a biting remark for those he doesn't, and that's the facade he projects. He can never fit into high society as his whole life has shown his looks can't be accepted by the vain and shallow Gotham elite, so he longs to fit in but despises them to is core.

His real nature is twisted, bitter, cruel, hateful and he takes deep pleasure in being a monster. He feels at home with the criminal element and the fame and respect that brings, and he hates them for it and himself for reveling in it.

A core belief in both aspects is that the law is nothing to him. He is in no way afraid or intimidated by Batman. He sees Batman as an unwitting pawn in his own schemes and occasionally challenges him directly (though with enough distance to avoid prosecution) for his own amusement.

He is in good enough standing that everyone in Gotham, from the citizens to the cops to Batman to the Arkham breakouts, thugs and drug pushers, everyone knows to come to him... for a price.

His look should allow him to be taken as both the gentleman and ruthless criminal, sharp suit over his large frame but his physical differences (such as the nose) are unavoidable and a constant reminded of who he is inside. Always carrying a loaded umbrella.

He has a few great stories where he finds love and his own nature/self-loathing destroys it. That's as sympathetic as he should be.

Books like Penguin: Pain and Prejudice miniseries and Penguin Triumphant do him justice.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I like the physically deformed underworld boss gentleman of crime

Strong bird theme definitely

Burgess Meredith and Nolan North voice

Belly size of Jose Luis Garcia Lopez version

Burton version of winter coat

Born and raised in Gotham since his great grandpa was a mayor there and he has a manor, but can be of British descent

Gentleman mask most of the time but brutish in a fight or in bed (tmi)... wait, no, that doesn't make sense. He'd want to be a gentle lover too, so the brute part is only when he's angered to the point of losing control.

Not actually grimy. Doesn't eat raw fish unless it's sushi or the like. Has high taste.

Naturally curly but he straighten it.

The deformity is sympathetic but only in his back story. Any kind of sympathy is gone as ruthless crime boss.

Bisexuality optional. I don't know if comic Penguin would be interested in comic Riddler. I feel like they would find each other beneath them.
    I agree with most of this although my ideal Penguin voice is Paul Williams from B:TAS.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    He wants to be Burgess Meredith, an affable, witty and charming ne'er do well with a wink for those he fancies and a biting remark for those he doesn't, and that's the facade he projects. He can never fit into high society as his whole life has shown his looks can't be accepted by the vain and shallow Gotham elite, so he longs to fit in but despises them to is core.

His real nature is twisted, bitter, cruel, hateful and he takes deep pleasure in being a monster. He feels at home with the criminal element and the fame and respect that brings, and he hates them for it and himself for reveling in it.
    I think I like these two aspects.

For years, I had no clear idea what would work best for Penguin's origin, but I do now think Burton (et al) hit on one aspect that worked or has endured, that he/his family was once part of Gotham aristocracy. But the family wealth was basically entirely lost due to mismanagement/bad investments, and Penguin's parents died perhaps before his adulthood (and not necessarily because he had anything to do with their death). Penguin's turn to crime somehow helped hasten his parents death after their financial ruin. And he's this more gentlemanly criminal, who can only occasionally find a way into certain Gotham society events, where corrupt politicians and mobsters can help get Penguin, a known criminal, into less-security-fanatical society events/parties.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-28-2022 at 11:36 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Retired

Should be British, classy and bird-obsessed (also bumbershoot-obsessed). Should have a certain Alfred Hitchcock element to his character.

I like the original Penguin from the 1940s, who would quote Coleridge and Shakespeare. He's not respected by the mobs and has to try harder to prove himself.

My favourite Penguin story is the Sunday strips 119-123 (2/10 - 3/10/1946)--where his Aunt Miranda comes to visit--by Alvin Schwartz, Jack Burnley and Charles Paris; reprinted in BATMAN 198 [G-43] (January-February 1968) and in BATMAN: THE SUNDAY CLASSICS, 1943 - 46 (1991; re-issued 2007).

Astonishing Member

I always pictured my ideal vision of Penguin being sort of like Bob Hoskins-as-gangster like in movies like The Long Good Friday. Although I really did enjoy Danny Devito's take in both Returns and that story he wrote for that Villain's special.

And while I did feel the portrayal did what it was supposed to do, I really don't get why people loved the version in The Batman so much. Colin Ferrel did great, no argument there, but he was a supporting character that really didn't do much more than support. I really didn't feel like he was a particular stand out or anything.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Really all I care about is that he waddles around when he walks, for unknown reasons, and that he is a sharp dresser. Most versions over the years have worked for me, with the notable exception of the Burton version that I disliked.

So, I guess Elegant and Classy
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Really all I care about is that he waddles around when he walks, for unknown reasons, and that he is a sharp dresser. Most versions over the years have worked for me, with the notable exception of the Burton version that I disliked.

So, I guess Elegant and Classy
    I did make the poll multiple choice so feel free to choose a few. The waddle is essentially a deformity of sorts.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I agree with most of this although my ideal Penguin voice is Paul Williams from B:TAS.
    Oh I don't remember what he sounds like. I think I only watched a couple of episode with Penguin
    was it soft and calm?

Oh yeah he definitely waddles

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh I don't remember what he sounds like. I think I only watched a couple of episode with Penguin
    was it soft and calm?

Oh yeah he definitely waddles

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Elegant/Classy, Deformed & Sympathetic, and Grounded Mobster.

The bird theme needs to be present, but it's not a deal breaker for me if it isn't front and center.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I like my Penguin like I like a martini…grimy
    I’ll have The Penguin dirty
    Last edited by TheRay; 03-29-2022 at 02:35 PM.

Shallow fried with a cornmeal coating, side of fries and some cole slaw.

Crass/Brutish, grounded mobster, Old Gotham Aristocrat