Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well...at least there are professional voice actors involved .
    ...those guys are professional voice actors? Why though? How that thing?

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    The difference between a professional and an amateur is that a professional gets paid lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    It's all in direction.

Like how professional VA's could deliver strong performances in something like Fire Emblem: Three Houses but sound so stilted in the Transformers: War for Cybertron trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    The difference between a professional and an amateur is that a professional gets paid lol
    You're right! For some reason we always think it's skill that separates the two, but it's really just the paycheck!

...must've been a small check this time.

It's all in direction.

Like how professional VA's could deliver strong performances in something like Fire Emblem: Three Houses but sound so stilted in the Transformers: War for Cybertron trilogy.
    I've seen neither of those, but I'm aware of stellar voice actors delivering horrible hack jobs. Like Conroy and Hamill for The Killing Joke. Wow, just wow it wasn't good.

Astonishing Member

One thing about this being a very AO3 and Tumblr fandom influenced series means that Duke follows some of the pitfalls of said fandom, where there are folks there who are interested in him but where it can be a toss-up on how well-versed they are regarding Duke and how well-synthesized their fanon takes on his character are. (The very fact that Duke is characterized as this absolute day-one newcomer who's jovially misinformed and "out of his depth" at the wackiness of the other Batfamily is a huge trait often ascribed to Duke's character in these fandomspaces. While it can be fun on a content-by-content basis, this runs the real trend of fabricating a new character out of Duke that's absent his canonical perceptive sense of emotional and intellectual intelligence, playing Duke as considerably more gullible and naïve than this empathetically street-smart, studious, and capable young man actually is.)

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I'm not familiar with Webtoon, so i thought this would be harder. But it would look weird to me if they only get the drawings and edited them to the comics format cause this drawins have a lot of white backgrounds.
    I'm not familiar with the process of "how" on any personal level; I just know it's a commonly done enough process that the artists who do the reformatting make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    One thing about this being a very AO3 and Tumblr fandom influenced series means that Duke follows some of the pitfalls of said fandom, where there are folks there who are interested in him but where it can be a toss-up on how well-versed they are regarding Duke and how well-synthesized their fanon takes on his character are. (The very fact that Duke is characterized as this absolute day-one newcomer who's jovially misinformed and "out of his depth" at the wackiness of the other Batfamily is a huge trait often ascribed to Duke's character in these fandomspaces. While it can be fun on a content-by-content basis, this runs the real trend of fabricating a new character out of Duke that's absent his canonical perceptive sense of emotional and intellectual intelligence, playing Duke as considerably more gullible and naïve than this empathetically street-smart, studious, and capable young man actually is.)
    This was an apprehension I had for a split-second, I'm not gonna lie, but I think that interpretation of Duke is so far removed from who Duke is in canon, if anything just due to the amount of adventures he's appeared in at this point, that i think it's fine if they lean into the fanon characterization for this. sure, it may cause some fans to misinterpret him if they only base their understanding of Duke purely off this Webtoon, but anyone who digs into his canon stories would start to recognize that he's not that. as long as the canon stays consistent with what he's done and continue to push Duke's progression forward, it shouldn't be a problem. it's just a fun slice of life style series that's out of continuity, I think it's more important that he's included at all. I may not be a huge fan of Duke's characterization in Outsiders but I will always maintain that it did a lot for Duke in terms of exposure, and for someone like Duke who is still new relative to the other Bats the name of the game is still exposure exposure EXPOSURE. the more eyes he gets, the more familiar people are with him; the more people are familiar with him, the more DC and their writers will know or care about him; the more they care, the more likely to include him in other thing, which will lead to more canon stories (and canon-accurate appearances in media) that can change that narrative over time.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    This was an apprehension I had for a split-second, I'm not gonna lie, but I think that interpretation of Duke is so far removed from who Duke is in canon, if anything just due to the amount of adventures he's appeared in at this point, that i think it's fine if they lean into the fanon characterization for this. sure, it may cause some fans to misinterpret him if they only base their understanding of Duke purely off this Webtoon, but anyone who digs into his canon stories would start to recognize that he's not that. as long as the canon stays consistent with what he's done and continue to push Duke's progression forward, it shouldn't be a problem. it's just a fun slice of life style series that's out of continuity, I think it's more important that he's included at all. I may not be a huge fan of Duke's characterization in Outsiders but I will always maintain that it did a lot for Duke in terms of exposure, and for someone like Duke who is still new relative to the other Bats the name of the game is still exposure exposure EXPOSURE. the more eyes he gets, the more familiar people are with him; the more people are familiar with him, the more DC and their writers will know or care about him; the more they care, the more likely to include him in other thing, which will lead to more canon stories (and canon-accurate appearances in media) that can change that narrative over time.
    Yeah, I guess you're right. Hopefully things will pan out this way on the whole.

And I completely agree that exposure via page-time was the absolute most valuable thing he got during the 17-odd issues of Outsiders, keeping Duke relevant by keeping Duke present.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 09-10-2021 at 03:29 AM.

Extraordinary Member

One of the episodes has the whole family fighting over desserts, no one is getting the 'real' characters here.

I wonder when Kate and Luke will show up.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    One of the episodes has the whole family fighting over desserts, no one is getting the 'real' characters here.
    Fighting over a cookie rather than literally trying to cripple one another is a nice change for once.

I've been wanting a series like this for a while now. Just light-hearted fun. Each character doing their own thing, but still part of the family. And most importantly, Bruce NOT being a sociopath, but a guy whom actually shows concern and care for his family. You know, being the father figure he's meant to be, but not overly strict either.

Astonishing Member

Honestly Batman's 'real character'(or at least the one the comics are currently pushing) is terrible. In fact, the same could be said for other members of the Bat fam and most DC characters.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Honestly Batman's 'real character'(or at least the one the comics are currently pushing) is terrible. In fact, the same could be said for other members of the Bat fam and most DC characters.
    Batman's "real character" is pretty writer dependent, though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Fighting over a cookie rather than literally trying to cripple one another is a nice change for once.

I've been wanting a series like this for a while now. Just light-hearted fun. Each character doing their own thing, but still part of the family. And most importantly, Bruce NOT being a sociopath, but a guy whom actually shows concern and care for his family. You know, being the father figure he's meant to be, but not overly strict either.
    Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I probably should have quoted one of the previous comments but I was meaning however Duke was portrayed was something that was applicable to the whole cast. I am actually happy with this take, and hope seeing this gives more writers encouragement to break from the routine Bat drama.
    Batman's "real character" is pretty writer dependent, though.
    I feel like for as long as I have been reading DC (roughly New 52) I don't have a sense of 'who' Batman/Bruce is, other than always being messed with by some villain and always having some bigger gadget.

I feel like for as long as I have been reading DC (roughly New 52) I don't have a sense of 'who' Batman/Bruce is, other than always being messed with by some villain and always having some bigger gadget.
    Well, I like to believe I have a general sense of the character...at least in my own head.