Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

It was enjoyable, but nothing really interesting.

Yeah, this is Tumblr fanon stuff, It's literally how they depict them in thoses fan art from that site. Jason has the white hair, Damian has a tan, Babs is back at being all Oracle, Tim has the combined pre-new 52 and the new 52 outfit.

But they kept the Orphan code name for Cass, which is weird since Babs is not Batgirl in this.

Anyways, it will 100% be popular around the internet. Tumblr and Twitter will feast on this. I'll keep reading since it's short and free.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    It was enjoyable, but nothing really interesting.

Yeah, this is Tumblr fanon stuff, It's literally how they depict them in thoses fan art from that site. Jason has the white hair, Damian has a tan, Babs is back at being all Oracle, Tim has the combined pre-new 52 and the new 52 outfit.

But they kept the Orphan code name for Cass, which is weird since Babs is not Batgirl in this.

Anyways, it will 100% be popular around the internet. Tumblr and Twitter will feast on this. I'll keep reading since it's short and free.
    Yeah, this echos my thoughts well. There a a few things I disliked, but it isn't really the kind of series you can get upset at. It was perfectly fine. It is supposed to just be a fun series with the Batman family. This was presented exactly like a lot of popular fanarts you see that get circulated around tumblr or a twitter. So I think this will do very well given how widespread those communities are.

Thoughts:

- So they're going with the common "fanon" consensus of who are Bruce's actual kids which is the Robins + Cass with Duke now being the new guy. They mention Luke and Kate so they'll probably appear at some point.

- Damian's characterization is pretty on-point although Duke seems kind of cutesy and happy-go-lucky compared to his comic self given his backstory.

- Cass is...talkative. Although I'm really surprised they went with Orphan since it's not her best costume and calling herself that makes absolutely no sense in a series where she's surrounded by family. And there was another illustration with her in a cape and less yellow so...not sure what's going on there.

- Weirdly none of the Batgirls are actually Batgirl in this. Like it would be one thing if Babs was Oracle and Cass or Steph were Batgirl, but no. Isn't it weird for a Batfamily comic to have no Batgirl? Is this a fanon thing I'm missing?

- Tim and Steph are kind of dumb.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I read the three issues and this is exactly what I hoped it was. Slice of life with the batfamily. I love this genre so I hope this title has a long run.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

This is the Duke and Damian interaction that we should've gotten during King's run!

Omg Damian's so tiny and adorably smug.

Looking at the comments a lot of them are Webtoon regular that didn't expect to see DC Comics there ^^

Hmm... I can't open episode 2 and 3, I'm gonna try a different browser
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 09-08-2021 at 10:54 AM.

Mighty Member

Enjoyable enough.

If you are not into fandom stuff you are not going to be into this, but it's fun and free so I'll keep reading.

My only disappointment is that the first three episodes had no Dick.

Ya, this this seemed like it was created by tumblr. Im not saying thats good or bad, but ya.

Yeah it’s a fun little thing I can see myself checking out here or there. It’s light reading and it’s basically just fun family stuff instead of anything truly serious.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

OMG Tim is a coffee addict. This is Tumblr to a T. I mean I thought this is made for Tumblr, but this looks like it's actually made by someone who's been in the Tumblr fandom the past 10 years.

They've grown up and work for DC I'm so proud.

The fighting over the last cookie with martial arts remind me of that one Tekken clip where the Mishima-Kazama family's fighting over the last dumpling. It's an alternate universe too where the whole family there for dinner even though one of them should've been missing and at least 3 of them are trying to kill each other in canon.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 09-08-2021 at 11:16 AM.

Spectacular Member

Very Tumblr-y, but it was wholesome enough. I'll keep reading, it's short and sweet.

I do enjoy the Batdad dynamic.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

The largest demographic on Webtoons are female and queer readers (based on how romance and queer series dominate the top rankings), so yeah, DC is smart to cater to the “tumblr” audience. Parenting and family raising are also popular slice-of-life sub-genres among female readers, so I expect other DC webtoons to hit similar trends among the demo. A Tim Drake x Bernard BL slice-of-life webtoon would do pretty good there, actually.

Straight superhero fare doesn’t do great on the website. I remember seeing a Stan Lee production a couple years back that was more typical male-oriented fare, and it didn’t get very far despite great production values. There have been criticisms for DC going “woke” for an audience that doesn’t buy monthlies, but DC is finally at the platform where they can mine that readership.

Other genres still do well but DC would have to compete against Korean horror and action.

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    The largest demographic on Webtoons are female and queer readers (based on how romance and queer series dominate the top rankings), so yeah, DC is smart to cater to the “tumblr” audience. Parenting and family raising are also popular slice-of-life sub-genres among female readers, so I expect other DC webtoons to hit similar trends among the demo. A Tim Drake x Bernard BL slice-of-life webtoon would do pretty good there, actually.

Straight superhero fare doesn’t do great on the website. I remember seeing a Stan Lee production a couple years back that was more typical male-oriented fare, and it didn’t get very far despite great production values. There have been criticisms for DC going “woke” for an audience that doesn’t buy monthlies, but DC is finally at the platform where they can mine that readership.

Other genres still do well but DC would have to compete against Korean horror and action.
    Isn't Tower of God, God of Highschool and Solo Leveling very popular on Webtoon?
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post

Speaking of platform, one of the comments said "I always wanted to read Batman and now it's finally here"

So the problem isn't really the characters, but the medium or the platform. This audience already has a platform they like, and they're not leaving to adjust to new platform even though they want to read about this character, because they already have most of their entertainment fill here.

Batman is just an extra entertainment, but not necessary enough they're gonna go out of their way to get it and deal with pre-orders, multiple titles, multiple timelines, a genre they don't know they'll like, just for a chance to read about a character they're interested but they don't know if it's gonna be written to their taste.

So yeah DC's doing it right here. Court the audience using what they like in a platform they already enjoy, instead of try to bring them to a platform they're not used to.

For what it is (a simple slice of life comedy series that just happens to star the Batfamily) this is pretty damn perfect. Basically everything I could have asked for out of something with this kind of premise. I was smiling like a damn maniac the whole time I read it. More than happy to spend my Webtoons coins on this stuff. Glad I found more reasons to use that site, since Urban Animal and Lumine were the only things I'd been reading for the past couple of years.

Yeeeeeah Cass still being Orphan is the only thing that kinda bugs me. Though, judging from the costumes that she, Steph, Damian, and Jason have on, I guess this is mostly meant to take place at the start of Rebirth, if we were to try and fit it in anywhere. So...it tracks....I guess.
    Last edited by Blue22; 09-08-2021 at 12:09 PM.

Incredible Member

Isn't Tower of God, God of Highschool and Solo Leveling very popular on Webtoon?
    Yes, they are. You forgot to mention Noblesse. That is also very popular on Webtoon. All of them, with the exception of Solo Leveling, have had anime adaptations.