Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    The largest demographic on Webtoons are female and queer readers (based on how romance and queer series dominate the top rankings), so yeah, DC is smart to cater to the “tumblr” audience. Parenting and family raising are also popular slice-of-life sub-genres among female readers, so I expect other DC webtoons to hit similar trends among the demo. A Tim Drake x Bernard BL slice-of-life webtoon would do pretty good there, actually.

Straight superhero fare doesn’t do great on the website. I remember seeing a Stan Lee production a couple years back that was more typical male-oriented fare, and it didn’t get very far despite great production values. There have been criticisms for DC going “woke” for an audience that doesn’t buy monthlies, but DC is finally at the platform where they can mine that readership.

Other genres still do well but DC would have to compete against Korean horror and action.
    UnOrdinary is a top ranked book in the world of superheroes and has more then it’s fair share of shipping.
    That and other like solo leveling dominate that site becuase it is loved by that audience and draws in readers outside of it. Who knows what could succeed on this platform

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Isn't Tower of God, God of Highschool and Solo Leveling very popular on Webtoon?
    For sure, I don’t mean to downplay those huge series. I specifically said that DC would have to compete against Korean action and horror. Though I glanced at the current top 10 and the top 9 series are romance or have romance (and I know at least one has its own drama adaptation, and many other popular female-targeted series have their own drama hits as well). There’s definitely a male audience, but the female audience has a much larger presence on the platform overall. I just wanted to emphasize that since they’re a demographic that’s traditionally been underserved in American comics. Their money is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    So the problem isn't really the characters, but the medium or the platform. This audience already has a platform they like, and they're not leaving to adjust to new platform even though they want to read about this character, because they already have most of their entertainment fill here.

So yeah DC's doing it right here. Court the audience using what they like in a platform they already enjoy, instead of try to bring them to a platform they're not used to.
    Yeah, DC already has a solid audience with its monthlies, so it’s good for them to cultivate an untapped demo on a different comics platform even if it might not be to the tastes of everyone here. Twitter is going wild over it in any case
    Last edited by oneveryfineday; 09-08-2021 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Speaking of platform, one of the comments said "I always wanted to read Batman and now it's finally here"

So the problem isn't really the characters, but the medium or the platform. This audience already has a platform they like, and they're not leaving to adjust to new platform even though they want to read about this character, because they already have most of their entertainment fill here.

Batman is just an extra entertainment, but not necessary enough they're gonna go out of their way to get it and deal with pre-orders, multiple titles, multiple timelines, a genre they don't know they'll like, just for a chance to read about a character they're interested but they don't know if it's gonna be written to their taste.

So yeah DC's doing it right here. Court the audience using what they like in a platform they already enjoy, instead of try to bring them to a platform they're not used to.
    Yeah, getting into comics isn't the easier thing in the world. With manga you just get chapter one and go from there.

For sure, I don’t mean to downplay those huge series. I specifically said that DC would have to compete against Korean action and horror. Though I glanced at the current top 10 and the top 9 series are romance or have romance (and I know at least one has its own drama adaptation, and many other popular female-targeted series have their own drama hits as well). There’s definitely a male audience, but the female audience has a much larger presence on the platform overall. I just wanted to emphasize that since they’re a demographic that’s traditionally been underserved in American comics. Their money is good too.
    For sure, their money is as good as everyone else and there is a market for them. DC did the right choice here.

I use the "Tumblr fanon" adjective because they have a pretty distinct representation of this characters, some of which doesn't really corelate with the original versions of comics. And this webtoon looks pretty much like that. But i don't find offensive or anything, especially for something like this project.

I'll keep reading, like i said before this is was a enjoyable read.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    Yes, they are. You forgot to mention Noblesse. That is also very popular on Webtoon. All of them, with the exception of Solo Leveling, have had anime adaptations.
    If I recall, some of them are based on web novels, so they already had a previous readership before any other adaptation.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    For sure, their money is as good as everyone else and there is a market for them. DC did the right choice here.

I use the "Tumblr fanon" adjective because they have a pretty distinct representation of this characters, some of which doesn't really corelate with the original versions of comics. And this webtoon looks pretty much like that. But i don't find offensive or anything, especially for something like this project.

I'll keep reading, like i said before this is was a enjoyable read.
    Cool, apologies for reading intent into your words that wasn’t there

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    If I recall, some of them are based on web novels, so they already had a previous readership before any other adaptation.
    Yeah, I’ve noticed that’s often how it goes for a successful series: webnovel > webtoon > anime/drama adaptation. People say comics are cheap storyboards for movies/shows; in turn novels are often cheap plot outlines for webtoons lol. There is a “delay” effect, so if you want to see what’ll be popular in three years, see what’s popular now on the novel side.

I really enjoyed it for what it was. Very entertaining

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

The series is a fun little romp that is a fresh of breath air from the *******, abusive Batman that doesn't really trust his sons that current DC writers seem to be the only version of the character they can write. I still find Duke awkwardly shoehorned into the core batfamily but eh, not a big deal. Also, calling this series Tumblr-like is making a disservice to it, this is just an officially licensed doujinshi.

And based on DC's recent efforts in Manga with Project Justice and Operation Joker, I doubt that making a smash hit that tops reading rankings all the time is DC's goal, they seem to be content with letting foreign creators have their fun with the toybox so I think is a pointless endeavor to speculate/wish for the series to stick to the trends just to success. The simple fact of being Batman already ensures it will have a faithful audience on the platform.

The largest demographic on Webtoons are female and queer readers (based on how romance and queer series dominate the top rankings), so yeah, DC is smart to cater to the “tumblr” audience. Parenting and family raising are also popular slice-of-life sub-genres among female readers, so I expect other DC webtoons to hit similar trends among the demo. A Tim Drake x Bernard BL slice-of-life webtoon would do pretty good there, actually.
    I love how a minor supporting character from Tim Drake's Post-Crisis run keeps getting mentioned because he was like just introduced as Tim's possible male love interest barely a month ago .
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Yeeeeeah Cass still being Orphan is the only thing that kinda bugs me. Though, judging from the costumes that she, Steph, Damian, and Jason have on, I guess this is mostly meant to take place at the start of Rebirth, if we were to try and fit it in anywhere. So...it tracks....I guess.
    Why you would call a character Orphan in a comic that's all about her hanging out with her family boggles the mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    The series is a fun little romp that is a fresh of breath air from the *******, abusive Batman that doesn't really trust his sons that current DC writers seem to be the only version of the character they can write. I still find Duke awkwardly shoehorned into the core batfamily but eh, not a big deal. Also, calling this series Tumblr-like is making a disservice to it, this is just an officially licensed doujinshi.
    I don't remember the last time I've ever seen Bruce smile so much.

I guess Duke feels kind of weird to me because they don't address his background at all here and I don't see him as one of Bruce's kids like I see the Robins + Cass. But I guess he's the viewpoint character (as of the first chapter at least).

Extraordinary Member

Storyboard artist Maria Li shared some early concept art they did for this:

https://twitter.com/rowannox/status/1435659659562475525

This was cheerful and fun. I enjoyed it but at the same time I hope this kind of stuff doesn't become mainstream canon and I'm also quite glad it's free.

It was lovely to see Alfred and Oracle back again. Some of the characters are great and have their own unique personality like Damian and Babs but others are completely interchangeable.

Astonishing Member

The largest demographic on Webtoons seems to be female.

The BL stories in the top ranking don't necessarily mean a queer audience. BL romance (especially popular BL romance) tend to have women as a main audience.

That said, you're totally right that DC has the correct direction for the Webtoon.

Has Cass always been that tall?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Has Cass always been that tall?
    No. She's usually depicted as kind of short.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    No. She's usually depicted as kind of short.
    Yeah, I don't think she's ever been depicted as that much taller than Steph.

Astonishing Member

I was looking forward to this...until I saw Babs in a wheelchair.

Not interested now.