Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

A superhero’s code name beings meaningless and there just to protect one’s identity, doesn’t make a very good case for it. Superhero personas and codes names serve an important role in a character’s marketability and quick appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    It's to protect someone's identity. Having such a name that's completely unrelated to one's real identity seems like a good idea.
    Yeah, but at least pick one that better fits the character.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Orphan is just a horrible superhero name. If she can't be called Batgirl then at least come up with something decent.
    Her blood relatives are two assassins. Cain trained Cass as a weapon to the point where her neglected to teach her to speak.

I can see why she'd want to declare herself as an Orphan. Both her real parents are $#!%.

Extraordinary Member

I am not picking sides on dumb name or not, but at this point does anyone starting to read a Batman book know where names like Robin, Spoiler or Nightwing originate from or what imagery they convey? Do the people who have been reading forever know anything significant about those names? I imagine some of this comes form preferring some other name the character used to have, which I get, as 'characters with arbitrary/dumb codename' is a pretty long list.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I am not picking sides on dumb name or not, but at this point does anyone starting to read a Batman book know where names like Robin, Spoiler or Nightwing originate from or what imagery they convey? Do the people who have been reading forever know anything significant about those names? I imagine some of this comes form preferring some other name the character used to have, which I get, as 'characters with arbitrary/dumb codename' is a pretty long list.
    Absolutely. Let’s not devalue the importance of the imagery and significance of superhero personas within this media cause Ophan has completely flopped and fails to encapsulate any of those elements. Because it has been worthless for Cass doesn’t make it worthless for everyone else too. The fact that she lacks a meaningful persona with eye catching imagery is a huge disadvantage for the character and a reason why so many of her fans are clamoring for her to be Batgirl again.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-09-2021 at 12:28 PM.

It's to protect someone's identity. Having such a name that's completely unrelated to one's real identity seems like a good idea.
    So, would you be okay if Cass chose a new codename like "Sack o' Potatoes"?

Do any Cass fans actually want her to call herself Orphan? It really doesn't sound like a Superhero name.

Even the costume isn't that great compared to her Batgirl look.
    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Absolutely. Let’s not devalue the importance of the imagery and significance of superhero personas within this media cause Ophan has completely flopped and fails to encapsulate any of those elements. Because it has been worthless for Cass doesn’t make it worthless for everyone else too. The fact that she lacks a meaningful persona with eye catching imagery is a huge disadvantage for the character and a reason why so many of her fans are clamoring for her to be Batgirl again.
    Her Batgirl design is distinct from Babs though outside a chest logo and bat ears.

Extraordinary Member

After thinking about a couple posts I had to think really hard about what her costume even looked like. I was just picturing Snake Eyes in my mind when trying. Then I went and Googled it.

I am sure I will forget in an hour.

As for the name, I lived through the 90s, every character was just named using a random word generator.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    After thinking about a couple posts I had to think really hard about what her costume even looked like. I was just picturing Snake Eyes in my mind when trying. Then I went and Googled it.

I am sure I will forget in an hour.

As for the name, I lived through the 90s, every character was just named using a random word generator.
    Is Cass what happens when Snake Eyes and Batgirl have a baby ?

(Babs is a redhead like Scarlet. Hmm.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Her Batgirl design is distinct from Babs though outside a chest logo and bat ears.
    To be fair, her Batgirl design is so distinct that some people have problems to associate it with Batgirl identity.

I suspect that's one of the reasons why DC allow Cassandra to use her Batgirl suit in comics, although she won't be the main Batgirl. Instead, they won't allow Stephanie to use her Batgirl suit (which is a more "traditional" Batgirl suit).

A superhero’s code name beings meaningless and there just to protect one’s identity, doesn’t make a very good case for it. Superhero personas and codes names serve an important role in a character’s marketability and quick appeal.
    You're talking about out-of-universe stuff, which I'm not concerned about. Marketability isn't a relevant point in-universe (or at least not regarding this particular set of characters in the DCU).

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    So, would you be okay if Cass chose a new codename like "Sack o' Potatoes"?
    No, but not for the reason of it not being a good disguise. That name is longer (and thus not as quick to say) and is less intimidating.
    Last edited by Caivu; 09-09-2021 at 12:51 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Orphan doesn't make a lick of sense in-universe either. Especially in this version of the character where she's happily adopted by Bruce. If anything is even disrespectful to the man.

You're talking about out-of-universe stuff, which I'm not concerned about. Marketability isn't a relevant point in-universe (or at least not regarding this particular set of characters in the DCU).
    It’s an integral part of the superhero concept and the comic medium. You not being concerned about it doesn’t make it any less valid. There wasn’t a distinction between in universe and out when it comics to this topic. Ignoring the out of universe purposes and pretending those aren’t relevant doesn’t make it actually so.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-09-2021 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Her Batgirl design is still based on the classic Batgirl design. It’s just color swapped with face patching. But my point was Batgirl comes with meaning and imagery. Which Orphan lacks.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-09-2021 at 02:06 PM.

Her Batgirl design is still based on the classic Batgirl design. It’s just color swapped with face patching. Point is Batgirl comes with meaning and imagery. Which Orphan lacks.
    I mean, I guess base bodysuit with cowl and belt, yeah, although I think it still stands out well.

Steph is more of a traditional Batgirl look.