Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thanks to everyone who voted for me! A pleasant surprise I really needed.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Congrats WBE and thanks to those who voted for my covers, this time and last.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Yay, worstblogever!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Congrats to wbe, and thanks for all the votes.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Great Job WBE
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Congratulations, worstblogever!
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I tried to cover the actual title of the contest with my entry
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    but I sorta figured somebody would take things even further with the old Robert Culp / Bill Cosby 1960s TV show.

Or is Bill Cosby still that toxic . . . ?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Thanks to everyone who voted for me! A pleasant surprise I really needed.
    Then it's all the better that you won it! Good choice of a visually captivating cover!

Another spy comic that I thought might show up in the contest, but which didn't, is Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting's mini-series Velvet, about the "Moneypenny" character who's the executive assistant to the director of a British intelligence agency. Almost everyone assumes she is just the boss's secretary, but the really old-timers know that she was once in fact one of the agency's very top field operatives, long since brought in from the cold. Then suddenly she goes rogue...

Congratulations to worstblogever for a marvelous cover which has truly reached iconic status. Looking at the detail in the background and the use of whatever those crazy curvy lines are called put this as a powerful symbol of the character. And helped to cement Nick as arguably the biggest of the Bond inspired spies of the sixties.

As to what the captain has learned in this peak of the week, he has been reminded that the Bond influence on our view of spies is powerful, indeed. He has read that real spies resemble Drew Carey far more than they do any version of James Bond as spies need to blend in. Bond, like characters in My Cousin Vinny, does not "blend". Anyway, it's been a good week seeing the variety of covers, even if the preponderance are all pretty much Steranko Nick inspired.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Congrats, WBE. And thanks to foxley and seismic-2 for the votes.

To be honest, though, I was a bit tempted to go with Rob Liefeld's rendition of Ethan Hunt:

As funny as that is, I still think I made the right decision.

Congratulations WBE!
    Thanks for counting Riv86672!
    Thanks for playing everyone!
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Congrats wbe

And thanks for the votes Rob Allen and Scott Taylor

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Congratulations to WBE and thanks for your vote!

Congratulations, worstblogever! Also, thank you to MRP for the kind nod! That's a great cover to have on display!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Congratulations to worstblogever for a marvelous cover which has truly reached iconic status. Looking at the detail in the background and the use of whatever those crazy curvy lines are called put this as a powerful symbol of the character. And helped to cement Nick as arguably the biggest of the Bond inspired spies of the sixties.

As to what the captain has learned in this peak of the week, he has been reminded that the Bond influence on our view of spies is powerful, indeed. He has read that real spies resemble Drew Carey far more than they do any version of James Bond as spies need to blend in. Bond, like characters in My Cousin Vinny, does not "blend". Anyway, it's been a good week seeing the variety of covers, even if the preponderance are all pretty much Steranko Nick inspired.
    Although it worth noting, that Ian Fleming actually based many of Bond's characteristics on a Serbian double-agent named Duško Popov he knew during his time at MI6. In particular, he was promiscuous womanizer who courted women during his missions, including the French actress Simone Simon.