Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Dear God, no. I barely make it past the damn monkeys every time I try to watch that movie. It's only when they get into space that the movie picks up somewhat.

I'd say The Dark Knight, with the bank robbery.

I'd also say Quantum of Solace. Say what you want about the movie as a whole, but that opening act- the car chase, 'We have people everywhere...', then the chase through the celebration was a great hook.

Also- Transformers: The Movie. An opening that kills off the majority of the characters you knew and loved.
    I enjoy Transformers '86, but i can't believe they did my boys Ironhide and Brawn like that
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

How to Train Your Dragon

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Iron Man 3

Did anyone here say A New Hope? I'm not a Star Wars fan, but that introduction scene is something memorable for a film opening act.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Incredible Member

Wolverine origins go from a D to a A- by those stipulations.

The first fifteen minutes was amazing (it will end with creed crying out jimmy!...movie over).

Fifteen minutes? How about five?

Hard Boiled.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Retired

WHAT'S OPERA, DOC? if you watch it 2.5 times.

Saving Private Ryan

Lord Of The Rings: Fellowship Of Ring (2001)

Titanic (1997)

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (1981)

Lion King (1994)

If you had 5 more minutes, you could have Inglourious Basterds. The whole movie is great. My favourite one from Tarantino. But that beginning scene with Hans Landa is on another level.

You can have Godfather as well. The initial half an hour or so at the wedding is wonderful stuff. Starting from the monologue 'I believe in America' by Bonasera, followed by the introduction of Don Coreleone. Great stuff.

Going from conventional to something unconventional, I am rather fond of 2001: A Space Odyssey. It has already been mentioned by Kirby. I second that. That powerful image of sun, moon and earth lining up with 'Thus Spake Zarathustra' is stuff for ages. It won't be enjoyed by everyone, but those who might, can appreciate the powerful impact of sound and images.

On a similar note, I really love the beginning of Tree of Life and Solaris. Solaris has a particular kind of mood, which I can't exactly put in words. It's like you are within mother nature. Tree of Life has gorgeous images over music which sound like you are in a place of worship.

I.am very fond of the Bond films as well. That has been mentioned by Kirby as well. Its hard to pick one. I really like both of Dalton's openings and On Her Majesty's Secret Service. But Roger Moore might be the king of pre-credit scenes. Man with Golden Gun, The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker. I love these three. The only bad one imo was View to a Kill, otherwise all of the Moore ones start pretty well imo.

And finally, I would mention Baby Driver. Apart from the fun car heist, I think if we have 15 minutes, the song with Baby dancing down the street is present as well. Though I am not sure about the last part.

Last edited by Soubhagya; 09-26-2021 at 11:17 AM.

BANNED

Sunset Boulevard

As with saving private ryan another movie with among the best opening and best ending of all time.

I won't say greatest of all time. But by and large, the James Bond movies have had spectacular openings.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Weird, the first two movies that popped into my head were Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Casablanca.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Wild Things. The conflict that you think the entire movie will be based around is resolved in the first 15 to 30 minutes. It keeps you on the edge of your seat every single second onwards.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 03-22-2022 at 01:20 PM.

The Batman had a killer opening, with the narrative and dark cinematics through "I'm vengeance" and that one kid running away.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Conan the Barbarian

T2

Saving Privat Ryan

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Raiders is a good one, but I think Last Crusade has my favorite opening of any Indy movie... the Young Indy bit.