Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Back in the Golden Age, Wonder Woman's powers were primarily as result of her Amazon training. She more or less could mentally will herself to be as strong as she needed in a given situation. Nowadays, as we know, her powers are mainly due to godly gifts or she's simply a demi-god herself.

Now, I've always thought they should reincorporate the Amazon training element, but combine it with the godly gifts. Meaning, yes, Diana has gifts from the gods that give her great strength and speed and whatnot, but it's only because of her training that she's able to harness these gifts to their full potential.
    Diana without training might have some power, and a fully trained Amazon has superhuman strength and speed, but it's only together that Wonder Woman is the powerhouse that she is.

So this got me thinking: wouldn't mind control or possession therefore handicap Diana? If her mind and body aren't as one, she is only fighting at a fraction of her potential.

Benefits:
    - It partially explains why, whenever we get one of the tedious "heroes get possessed or mind controlled to fight each other" stories, Diana isn't steamrolling anyone she's up against.
    - It invalidates Batman's obsessive "fail-safe" plan for her, because a mind controlled Wonder Woman, due to being controlled at all, isn't fighting at full power/skill and therefore easier to subdue. In other words, she is her own fail-safe.

I also just like the idea that Diana's great power is her mastery of her mind and body.

Just thinking out loud. Thoughts?
    You answered your own question: One hit from Dr. Psycho or Phobia or Brainiac, or any powerful mentalist and the Amazing Amazon is out...

I kinda like the idea that she's not naturally immune, but has artificial defenses against it. Like in Luke's Devastation story... Deva had to connect with Diana using the magic lasso before she could use illusion powers on her.

I think Diana’s innate willpower and intelligence helps her fight back against mind control, telepathic commands, deception and illusion, and possession, and the lasso, when in use certainly helps, but I’d hate to see her immune to it altogether.

Diana already has such a vast array of powers that it’s good to have some weaknesses and blind spots - especially with adversaries that include the gods, a couple sorceresses (at least), and the Duke of Deception and Doctor Psycho and Hypnota.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Weakened in the sense that the person controlling her doesn't know how to use her body and ability or doesn't know she even has that ability

If it's an independent mind control, as in, the controller doesn't manually control her but just leaves her on autopilot, then the weakness comes from lack of wisdom, intelligence and creativity, because how she independently think is automatically blocked.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Mind control is a plot device used to make characters to do out of character. I don't think Diana or any of the powerful heroes should be immune to it. That completely negates the use of the plot device.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Mind control is a plot device used to make characters to do out of character. I don't think Diana or any of the powerful heroes should be immune to it. That completely negates the use of the plot device.
    Martian Manhunter?

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Martian Manhunter?
    What about Martian Manhunter?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What about Martian Manhunter?
    J'Onn J'Onzz is one of the most powerful telepaths living on Earth. Mind controlling him is HARD, so hard even a group of White Martians failed at it. They instead resorted to incapacitating him so he couldn't interfere.

I feel like she should be nearly immue to it but with the lasso it's not possible to mind control her. I disliked like Batman's idea for her. Nanobots. I feel like a better idea is that magically items would be better. Like an amazon item

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Back in the Golden Age, Wonder Woman's powers were primarily as result of her Amazon training. She more or less could mentally will herself to be as strong as she needed in a given situation. Nowadays, as we know, her powers are mainly due to godly gifts or she's simply a demi-god herself.

Now, I've always thought they should reincorporate the Amazon training element, but combine it with the godly gifts. Meaning, yes, Diana has gifts from the gods that give her great strength and speed and whatnot, but it's only because of her training that she's able to harness these gifts to their full potential.
    Diana without training might have some power, and a fully trained Amazon has superhuman strength and speed, but it's only together that Wonder Woman is the powerhouse that she is.

So this got me thinking: wouldn't mind control or possession therefore handicap Diana? If her mind and body aren't as one, she is only fighting at a fraction of her potential.

Benefits:
    - It partially explains why, whenever we get one of the tedious "heroes get possessed or mind controlled to fight each other" stories, Diana isn't steamrolling anyone she's up against.
    - It invalidates Batman's obsessive "fail-safe" plan for her, because a mind controlled Wonder Woman, due to being controlled at all, isn't fighting at full power/skill and therefore easier to subdue. In other words, she is her own fail-safe.

I also just like the idea that Diana's great power is her mastery of her mind and body.

Just thinking out loud. Thoughts?
    Good question. Let's look at some different types of mind-control:

1) Perception-altering/illusions like Aizen from Bleach. For example making WW 'think' she's fighting Darkseid while she's actually trouncing Batman. In that case no she wouldn't be weakened/handicapped at all since her free will isn't effected.

2) Possession, like say Marvel's Shadow King or direct control like Skeletor using the Mind Lens (The New Adventures of He-Man). In either of those cases yes, WW would be weakened because someone else is in the driver's seat.

3) Indirect control/mesmerism, like many versions of Dracula. Basically he makes the target obey his commands but they have enough autonomy that they don't need him to dictate their every action. He can say for example "go to the museum, steal this amulet and bring it to me" then let the target get on with it while he's off dong something else. In that case WW would still be weakened, since mind and body aren't fully in-sync, but not as seriously as with type 2.

Personally though I'm of the belief that possessed/mind-controlled heroes are always handicapped to some degree because they're going to be resisting the possession/mind-control, even on a purely subconscious level.