Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Mark Waid, Brain Hitch & Kevin Nolan's Black Label Superman book

This sounds great. Waid's certainly been hinting about this for long enough. I'm glad that we're finally getting some info on who's drawing it. Hitch is a bit hit or miss for me. Hopefully, this will be more hit.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Hitch is a bit hit or miss for me. Hopefully, this will be more hit.
    Me, too. It's like he has two modes, one which is epic in scale with phenomenal detail and pitch-prefect scaling, and the other has messy details (fudged to look detailed but actually just meaningless lines) weird faces and and overall slightly muddled unfinished look.

I wonder if it's a time thing (it's got to take forever to draw on-point Hitch) or even a case where he half-asses books he's less invested/excited about or just paid less to work on.

I'll definitely pick this up, even though I'm not really a fan of Waid's vision of Superman.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Cool!i hope it's something worthwhile....
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-09-2021 at 04:00 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I'm already hyped.

Looks like Hitch is a very busy man these days.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Wonder if this will be a Birthright follow up/Year Two type thing, or something else entirely? Either way, pretty exciting!

By the look of the released sketch, it looks like its the more polished version of Hitch...

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/mark...rom-dc-comics/
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Incredible Member

His short story in "The Last Stories of the DC Universe" was pretty good, nothing extraordinary but a very well done execution of the premise of "Plant a tree even if the world is ending around you" (plus some "real heroes" panel that actually worked), his Mxyzptlk story in "Superman Red & Blue" was a thoroughly unfunny attempt at comedy where Superman couldn't even properly be a trickster without being preachy (and some very generic preaching at that). So, hopefully this goes for that epic feel and stays away from overt comedy.

Waid and Hitch is an...interesting combination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    His short story in "The Last Stories of the DC Universe" was pretty good, nothing extraordinary but a very well done execution of the premise of "Plant a tree even if the world is ending around you" (plus some "real heroes" panel that actually worked), his Mxyzptlk story in "Superman Red & Blue" was a thoroughly unfunny attempt at comedy where Superman couldn't even properly be a trickster without being preachy (and some very generic preaching at that). So, hopefully this goes for that epic feel and stays away from overt comedy.
    Well, I think Waid can do good humor at least, even it if didn't land in that story.

https://twitter.com/thebryanhitch/st...596962308?s=21

Lol I laughed at how he just casually tweeted it out. Glad to get it confirmed at least, excited to see what the premise will be. Please for the love of Rao, let it not be a Lex story, love Lex, but if you want to leave an impact Waid choose one of the other villains.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'm not crazy about Hitch's art but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. Plus the more time he has, the better he generally is, kinda like JRJR these days. Waid will definitely do something completely counter to the main books and that's what I've been desperate for.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Since it's black label, it's in its own canon. I hope this Superman is single and not a dad just to be different.

Astonishing Member

Should I read the word "hope" once in the whole book, I think I'll rip it into tiny pieces and feed it to a flock of goats.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm not crazy about Hitch's art but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. Plus the more time he has, the better he generally is, kinda like JRJR these days. Waid will definitely do something completely counter to the main books and that's what I've been desperate for.
    Been rereading some of his old DC/New 52 work, and he’s still really damn good at that kind of widescreen action he pioneered on Authority and Ultimates. Long as he’s not writing I think he can do a good job, he can still do cool fight scenes.

I’m expecting this to be set in the Birthright continuity, but it would be cool if Waid just gets to do what he wants (kill off the Kents for example).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

A continuation of Birthright would make perfect sense, if that was his desire. If his tastes have changed since he wrote Birthright it could always be something completely different, but really I'm down for anything.

And yeah really the main thing with Hitch is that sometimes he draws some funky female faces. When he was on JL, Diana looked downright odd. But then I see him draw her in another book and she looked fine (think it was that Generations book back when it was a prelude to 5G?)
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-09-2021 at 12:36 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I like his art but I also usually picture his Ultimates stuff. And, yeah, his faces can be a bit weird but he's good on detail. I trust Waid with Superman. I hope this will be good.
    Assassinate Putin!