Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ASM #1 Variant Covers

I'm interested in the community's thoughts about the (huge amount of) variant covers for ASM. I have mixed feelings about them.

I'd like to know:

a) Do ASM fans think that variant covers are fun to hunt for, something to be ignored, a cynical marketing ploy, or something in between? What's your take?

b) Did you purchase more than one cover version of ASM 1 and why?

c) How does your LCS deal with variants? Do they sell them at cover price, sell them for a huge markup, reserve them for special customers, or something else?

Answering my own questions:
    a) I hate feeling like I'm getting suckered in to buying gimmick covers just like I was as a teenager in the chromium covered, holographic '90s. But some of these variants are so cool I just have to have them!
    b) I ended up purchasing the Alex Ross and Marcos Martin covers, in addition to the regular Ramos cover. I love Martin's art, and preferred Ross' cover to the regular.
    c) My LCS in Australia didn't get allocated many. They kept them off the shelves, and fans who are interested can ask to have a look. I perused them freely and chose the ones I liked. They were all priced the same as the regular ASM cover. (Another local shop just pops them on the shelves and sells them for around 50% markup on regular cover price, and it's first in first served.)

I'd love to know your thoughts!
    Last edited by Doc Ock; 05-05-2014 at 12:21 AM.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

a.) I think it's definitely a market ploy. As for whether or not it should be ignored, well I guess that depends on whether you really, really like a variant cover or not bothered by any of them. Me personally if there's a variant cover available at my shop that I like more than the regular cover I'll get it, if it's not there I'll make do with the regular cover but that's just me.

b.) No I only bought one cover version of ASM 1.

c.) My one largely sells them at cover price but do occasionally sell them for a huge mark-up. They do reserve special cover variants for customers who ask for it.

Hope that answers your question Doc Ock. Please don't try to blow up the world again ok? We know you're a genius already! lol sorry couldn't resist.

a) Do ASM fans think that variant covers are fun to hunt for, something to be ignored, a cynical marketing ploy, or something in between? What's your take?

c) How does your LCS deal with variants? Do they sell them at cover price, sell them for a huge markup, reserve them for special customers, or something else?
    A) To me they are fun for the local store. A way to make a bit of extra cash and balance out the unsold issues.

B) Yep... that pick of spidey upside down over the city was a must buy.

C) Mark up price and some go to random customers at cover price. All depends.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post

A. I believe that variant covers are a gimmick. They help the local comic shop tremendously though. They are fun to collect. I often wait to get them though. The price for variants goes down after the initial buzz. This time around I was so excited I hunted down all 40-something covers.

B. I wanted to have every cover because I missed out on all 140 covers to Amazing Spider-Man 666. I get all the variant covers in an attempt to have every Spider-Man comic released. Some I know I will have a very hard time getting, but that is what makes it fun.

C. Comic shops mark up the price depending on the print run (1:10, 1:25, 1:50, etc) I have been to nearly all the comic shops in NYC and Long Island and I have yet to find a comic shop that doesn't raise the price to reflect the print run.

I steer clear of variant covers, I never find them worth the extra dough to buy them. And they don't hold their value on the market 2-3 years after they've been released.

- Jason G. Carr

BANNED

I love variant covers as art, not as a actual covers. They're usually too damned expensive and not worth the price, I think.

If Marvel would release variants as posters/prints without the trade dress, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

I'm interested in the community's thoughts about the (huge amount of) variant covers for ASM. I have mixed feelings about them.

I'd like to know:

A) I like variants BUT, I rarely ever buy them. They're usually marked up but in this case, with ASM #1, the regular issue being 6 bucks, the prices weren't marked up more than usual but the extra 2 bucks made me balk at buying any of the variants. 6 dollars was enough of my money for the regular cover ASM #1.

B) Nope, the regular cover was 6 bucks and the rest were high than that. I'm a reader on a budget so 6 bucks was stretching it for me.

C) the regular shop I go to marks up the common variants a buck and the more expensive ones tend to go for what you might see on the midtown comics site. Anymore though, because they have a store in another city, if one store doesn't order enough copies, NEITHER store gets variants so they've been non-existent the past 3-4 months. The only way to get a common variant for cover price is for me to order them from midtown comics and then I have to pay for shipping. Variants are more of a headache for me than anything and I've lost interest in getting any now.

Quote Originally Posted by CRuby28 View Post
    I get all the variant covers in an attempt to have every Spider-Man comic released. Some I know I will have a very hard time getting, but that is what makes it fun.

...Comic shops mark up the price depending on the print run (1:10, 1:25, 1:50, etc) I have been to nearly all the comic shops in NYC and Long Island and I have yet to find a comic shop that doesn't raise the price to reflect the print run.
    Wow. Every Spider-Man comic *ever*? Including variants? That's an impressive quest and I'd love to know how you're going with that. Where do you get your master list from?

I can understand the markup on a 1:300 comic, I guess. But I'm glad I can get them cheaply at my LCS as long as I get in quick.

A) I generally ignore them. I own like three. One ASM 700 skyscape and two rhino variants. I do not see them as a ploy or anything though. No one is forcing us to buy them. They wouldn't be selling them if people did not want them.
    B) Just got the regular cover
    C) Prices are marked up depending on the rarity. Most often will be saved for a requester. Less rare (1:5 or 1:10) will often be on the rack.

formerly 'saucemaster' saucemaster's Avatar

I'd like to know:

a) They are marketing tools ploys that are not 'fun' to hunt for. They are just something that is easily available if you want to spend a lot of money. They aren't something you have to really search for. If my store has a variant that looks better than the normal cover, I will get it. I don't buy multiple copies or spend more money for the variant. I could see it being fun if you didn't know where the variants would be and would just have to luck out in finding them, but they are commodities whose access is controlled, not random (see C).

b) No, I bought one of the 2 Campbell covers that the store had on the shelf.

c) The store I went to for ASM #1 had the regular cover, a couple of Campbell covers, and maybe 5 Mhan covers. They also had a Ross cover, Martin cover, and McGuinness cover each for $40. This was about 10.30 am on the day it was released. Some covers were being sold for more than that before the book was even released. This is why it is not fun and not a real 'hunt'.

All-New Member

Wow. Every Spider-Man comic *ever*? Including variants? That's an impressive quest and I'd love to know how you're going with that. Where do you get your master list from?

I can understand the markup on a 1:300 comic, I guess. But I'm glad I can get them cheaply at my LCS as long as I get in quick.

I found a website that compiled a master list, www.spiderfan.org. I also used www.comicspriceguide.com. I have from ASM #76 to current. I am slowly working backwards as I stay current. I normally wait on the variants because if I am going to spend $100 on a book I want to get an older one.

I have a complete 1st print run of all the other "core" titles except for Marvel Team-Up. I am waiting on Marvel Team-Up for some reason.

A) It's fun to see them all on the shelves.

B) No, just the Campbell cover, but it might pick up a sketch cover as well.

C) Regular customers get first dibs, most are charged at cover price or just slightly more.

All-New Member

I'm somewhere in between. I don't mind variant covers but I tend to avoid them unless a cover catches my eye or I'm fond of a particular artist. I definitely thought there were too many covers for ASM 1. I bought two variants from an online retailer and I was able to get the covers I wanted without spending a lot of money. Bottom line is, I buy the covers I like but only if they are reasonably priced. Sometimes it's nice having the variety.

All-New Member

I posted this in the old forums, but here it is again for reference: a complete listing of all the variant covers for ASM #1.

Long-time loiterer

I'm glad they released such a large amount of variants personally. I couldn't stand the regular cover, and luckily a few of the others were going for the same price off the site I buy from. I got the Mhan one, but I wanted the Martin variant. Unfortunately that was about four times more expensive, if memory serves