Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I got New 52 Supes as result. I think "ripped & athletic" and "no trunks" were the main New52 characteristics I voted.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I got New 52 Supes as result. I think "ripped & athletic" and "no trunks" were the main New52 characteristics I voted.
    I didn't vote either still i got new52.it's crazy.I like superman being big dude,not necessarily ripped.I think trunks are cool..
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-13-2021 at 01:51 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Hm. The Schwartz era, never thought of that one before. I'm going to use it. I'm curious though, why do you label the Weisinger era from 1948-1957?
    Sorry for the confusion. Let me explain it better.

Weisinger returned from military service around 1946, but I count 1946 and 1947 as part of the Siegel & Shuster era (although they were being edged out by then). Whitney Ellsworth was the senior editor, but he spent a lot of time in Hollywood, so he delegated editorial duties to Mort Weisinger and Jack Schiff--with Mort having the biggest impact on Superman.

So 1948 to 1970 is what I call the Weisinger era. However there are different phases to that era.

Between 1948 and 1957, there were significant developments in the mythology, but this is a transitional or in-between phase.

Between 1958 and 1966, this is what everyone thinks of as Mort's Superman (a.k.a. Silver Age).

And between 1967 and 1970 there's a drop off, with Mort becoming more interested in his other work (like contributing to READER'S DIGEST and COLLIER'S).

Mort finally is gone by 1971 and several other editors take over his duties: Julius Schwartz, Murray Boltinoff, E. Nelson Bridwell, Jack Kirby, Mike Sekowsky (a bit later Dorothy Woolfolk, Robert Kanigher, Joe Orlando). But Schwartz is the lead editor and will eventually become senior editor for the Superman line. Thus I call this the Schwartz era--between 1971 and 1985.

Moore actually credits Weisinger for the creation of what i call and what is well known/understood by the masses as "the superhero superman".

While Siegel & Shuster superman was more of an old pulp fiction style hero.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I got Bronze Age Superman.

Your Superman is: Bronze Age Superman!
    While just as powerful as he was in the Silver Age, this version of Superman often contemplated the effect he had on the world. He also decided to put more effort into developing his life as Clark the journalist, instead of just relying on Clark as a disguise.
    Last edited by BBally; 09-20-2021 at 03:12 PM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Sorry for the confusion. Let me explain it better.

Weisinger returned from military service around 1946, but I count 1946 and 1947 as part of the Siegel & Shuster era (although they were being edged out by then). Whitney Ellsworth was the senior editor, but he spent a lot of time in Hollywood, so he delegated editorial duties to Mort Weisinger and Jack Schiff--with Mort having the biggest impact on Superman.

So 1948 to 1970 is what I call the Weisinger era. However there are different phases to that era.

Between 1948 and 1957, there were significant developments in the mythology, but this is a transitional or in-between phase.

Between 1958 and 1966, this is what everyone thinks of as Mort's Superman (a.k.a. Silver Age).

And between 1967 and 1970 there's a drop off, with Mort becoming more interested in his other work (like contributing to READER'S DIGEST and COLLIER'S).

Mort finally is gone by 1971 and several other editors take over his duties: Julius Schwartz, Murray Boltinoff, E. Nelson Bridwell, Jack Kirby, Mike Sekowsky (a bit later Dorothy Woolfolk, Robert Kanigher, Joe Orlando). But Schwartz is the lead editor and will eventually become senior editor for the Superman line. Thus I call this the Schwartz era--between 1971 and 1985.
    Ah,this makes better sense. I thought for you 1948-1957 was like peak Superman stories for that era for you.

Incredible Member

I think one advantage of the quiz is that it can filter out issues that aren't so critical.

I would never have thought for me it would be Post-Crisis Superman.
    But when I think about it a little, it makes perfect sense. For me at least.

There is a certain style of Superman that we like. We are drawn to a certain
    conception of the way that Superman ought to act, behave, where the differences
    aren't that stark from other eras. But it helps us as we think of what we want
    Superman to be.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    I think one advantage of the quiz is that it can filter out issues that aren't so critical.

Superman to be.
    Agreed completely.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I got Bronze Age Superman.
    Does that feel like the right result?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post

Superman to be.
    Glad you liked it! By filtering out other issues, do you mean continuity or other factors outside of his personality?

Astonishing Member

Am I the only one here who got DCEU Superman as a result?

Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Am I the only one here who got DCEU Superman as a result?

Just curious...
    I am more curious what differentiates dceu superman from the rest other than the smile and charisma being absent(my opinion).Man of steel takes things from wide history of superman comics from 1938 to the year of reason of the movie.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-13-2021 at 09:57 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I am more curious what differentiates dceu superman from the rest other than the smile and charisma being absent(my opinion).Man of steel takes things from wide history of superman comics from 1938 to the year of reason of the movie.
    Interesting question. That's for Lightning Rider to answer!

Personally, I think the DCEU Superman is closest to the Post-Crisis Superman (with some aspects of the Donner Superman). The big difference is that he's got grit, angst and a hint of a F#ck you attitude to authority (while stopping well short of being an outright rebel).

A lot of my answers matched up to the Post-COIE Superman (Kents being alive, Clark having a happy childhood, Clark being the real identity etc.) I guess what skewed me towards the DCEU Superman were stuff like Superman willing to stand up to the government for what's right, and Superman not always trying to be 'respectable' or having a 'smile on his face'.

I was going to say “I feel like we have this thread too often” but you included a quiz so I’ll allow it lol.

7A2693C1-1696-4108-800C-CFA62E89DD93.jpg

Real shocker this one I’m sure but I prefer the t-shirt and jeans look to Lee’s armor and it’s only Morrison and Pak who wrote the New 52 Superman stories I absolutely love.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Ooh intreresting. This should be a good guide on what to read next
    DCEU

That's surprising

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I can't speak for others, but I only like daddy Superman outside of the main continuity. I largely enjoyed Morrison's arc because it took away a lot of the passivity of Superman that had crept into the stories throughout the years.

I also tend to think that the differences between Superman across the eras tends to be overblown. A lot of the time, I felt that the New 52 books by guys like Greg Pak read a lot like Post-Crisis Superman, as far as Superman's introspection was portrayed. The differences that stood out were things like his costume, his marital status, etc., but those don't really affect the average issue. It's not like each time he was pondering who his real identity was, Clark or Superman.
    There is a certain baseline that does extend through every incarnation. The biggest example would be that regardless of whether the Kents are alive or dead, Superman is a hero because of their lives and teachings not because of how they died. Also Clark has a temper beneath that good natured exterior and it can flare up if he’s pushed hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Wow, I got Bronze Age. I've only read a bit so I'm quite surprised. This would be Elliot S. Maguin right? Any other recommendations?
    Alan Moore! He wrote the best Bronze Age Superman stories as small a number as they were. Also Cary Bates was pretty good.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/