Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

If i had powers of supes nothing would probably change for me and i wouldn't probably care enough to be superman,let alone new52 superman.My parental figure is gone.I am just not the hero or villain type.Too lazy.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    It's cool hearing what everyone got and how they feel about it - this is fun!

The irony of this is that both of my parents are alive, and if you gave me powers right now, I'd probably make New52's t-shirt and jeans escapades look tame... lol

I do get what you mean and where you're coming from on that, I just had to say it.
    LOL

I just get the feel though that Jonathan and Martha weren't the sort of people who'd be too happy about their son taking the law into his own hands and borderline terrorizing people.

I think the lack of his adoptive parents did leave Golden Age Clark or New 52 Clark a bit unmoored, and thus more willing to take extreme measures. He also doesn't have a family to protect so there's no risk of blowback from his enemies or the authorities if his secret identity is blown.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    LOL

I just get the feel though that Jonathan and Martha weren't the sort of people who'd be too happy about their son taking the law into his own hands and borderline terrorizing people.

I think the lack of his adoptive parents did leave Golden Age Clark or New 52 Clark a bit unmoored, and thus more willing to take extreme measures. He also doesn't have a family to protect so there's no risk of blowback from his enemies or the authorities if his secret identity is blown.
    Oh, absolutely they wouldn't. Hopefully they'd be too busy seeing about miraculous things/etc to think about various political folks straight up disappearing. (they'd be ok, I'm not a total monster lol) And all Post-Crisis style, so I'm not seen. Once public, I'd definitely have to be a bit more reserved.

And yeah, that's the general rule and it completely makes sense. He not only has a stabilizing influence, but less to lose.

Superman is a big reason why I have a strong compulsion to help people if I can and I have a really hard time watching injustices happen to people, so... me with Superman's powers would be rather dangerous, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    If i had powers of supes nothing would probably change for me and i wouldn't probably care enough to be superman,let alone new52 superman.My parental figure is gone.I am just not the hero or villain type.Too lazy.
    I'm really sorry they're gone, man. To say that sucks is putting it mildly.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Retired

I may have to go and do the quiz again, just to remind myself what all the questions were, but I don't expect my answers to be any different another time around.

As far as Superman being a bully, I never see him that way, no matter the period. Superman and Batman put on a tough guy act when they need to--it's the old good cop/bad cop. But that isn't who they are as people. Clark doesn't hate people, he isn't fuelled by anger. There is no version of Superman--except for imaginary stories--where he is a bully. Maybe other readers see him that way--but I never do.

I ended up with Post-Crisis Supes. Not a surprise, really. Though a couple questions could have used a little bit more detail, like the one that asked if Supes should be among the most powerful in the universe. In terms of non-reality warpers? Sure. But Mxy and Bat-Mite on up, Supes should be well out of his depth.

Retired

I did do the quiz again and this time I got "Silver Age." I could have sworn I answered all the questions the same as before, but there must have been one or two where I changed my answer, I guess.

The bully question says he "likes" being a bully. That's what makes me disagree hard. Even if Supes bullies someone to get some info, I don't see him enjoying it. Saying he likes to bully people makes him out to be a sociopath.

As far as the Clark or Superman being the disguise questions, I disagree with both. It's not that simple. Both Clark and Superman are disguises and they are their real selves. Just as with all humans.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 09-15-2021 at 04:05 PM.

Superman is a big reason why I have a strong compulsion to help people if I can and I have a really hard time watching injustices happen to people, so... me with Superman's powers would be rather dangerous, lol.
    This. Thank the gods I haven't been caught in a lab accident that gave me super powers. I'd try to keep things low key and out of the public eye and I'd try not to overstep.....for the first few days. Truly, I've no interest in personal wealth, fame, or glory. But I know damn well the first time I saw something on tv that turned my stomach I'd give myself the "with great power...." speech and convince myself that it's my responsibility to make the world better, for my kids, for everyone.....

And I'd end up burning everything to the ground.

Don't think this is a world that's ready for "heroes" anyway. At least not the kind like Clark, who is accepted and celebrated by the majority of people worldwide. If any of us had powers, anything we did would be picked apart. We did the wrong thing, fixed the wrong problem, fixed the right problem the wrong way.....any action (including inaction) would be politicized and you'd be demonized by that voting bloc.

Since I couldn't make everyone happy, my plan is to be the world's greatest villain; a threat so big the entire world has to cooperate in the hopes of killing me. If Dr. King, Ghandi, Mandela, and the other great men and women of history couldn't save the world I sure as hell couldn't. But maybe I could get the world to unite against me long enough for that cooperation to become second nature. And maybe the world would become a slightly better place because of that. Then I could let them "kill" me and retire to a small town somewhere, and drink my coffee in peace.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    This. Thank the gods I haven't been caught in a lab accident that gave me super powers. I'd try to keep things low key and out of the public eye and I'd try not to overstep.....for the first few days. Truly, I've no interest in personal wealth, fame, or glory. But I know damn well the first time I saw something on tv that turned my stomach I'd give myself the "with great power...." speech and convince myself that it's my responsibility to make the world better, for my kids, for everyone.....

Don't think this is a world that's ready for "heroes" anyway. At least not the kind like Clark, who is accepted and celebrated by the majority of people worldwide. If any of us had powers, anything we did would be picked apart. We did the wrong thing, fixed the wrong problem, fixed the right problem the wrong way.....any action (including inaction) would be politicized and you'd be demonized by that voting bloc.

Since I couldn't make everyone happy, my plan is to be the world's greatest villain; a threat so big the entire world has to cooperate in the hopes of killing me. If Dr. King, Ghandi, Mandela, and the other great men and women of history couldn't save the world I sure as hell couldn't. But maybe I could get the world to unite against me long enough for that cooperation to become second nature. And maybe the world would become a slightly better place because of that. Then I could let them "kill" me and retire to a small town somewhere, and drink my coffee in peace.
    That's a pretty good villain plot. Kind of like a global, less crazy Hunter Zolomon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I may have to go and do the quiz again, just to remind myself what all the questions were, but I don't expect my answers to be any different another time around.

As far as Superman being a bully, I never see him that way, no matter the period. Superman and Batman put on a tough guy act when they need to--it's the old good cop/bad cop. But that isn't who they are as people. Clark doesn't hate people, he isn't fuelled by anger. There is no version of Superman--except for imaginary stories--where he is a bully. Maybe other readers see him that way--but I never do.
    Yeah, the bully thing is a weird knee-jerk reaction. Some people go there literally any time anyone in a "position of power" uses their power on someone not in a "position of power". It's just... why? This isn't cases of ABUSING their power, merely exercising it. And that Superman thing seems to be the same logic. It's a simple minded concept related to the Robin Hood mindset. IE the idea that being rich MAKES stealing from you right.

Oh, I'd love to have them. I'd enjoy letting my "oh hell no they don't" flag fly. lol

It's true, to an extent. But honestly, if you separate people from all the media "cult of personality," there are a lot fewer things people *actually* disagree on (not nothing, just less). It's just once people's names and faces and pre-programmed words get involved that everyone goes to there corners (there are absolutely exceptions, of course, I just mean generally). A lot of people would love a hero. And there are a number of powerful folks they'd love to see get their comeuppance. That might be my optimism talking, but I do believe it.

Now there's a thought! I still like the idea of using the powers to mine/etc (safely) all the various whatevers right under everyone's noses (not like they'd see me) and flood the markets with them over time - using the pre-flood money from each to help everyone and build a tech empire that can basically thrive on it's own. Take power from the corrupt and powerful, and spread it to the masses in a way they can't go after - partly because they can't, and partly because they'd have the dismantle their entire economic system to do it. And as we've seen, they're programmed to ignore lives to save it.

Sorry, did not mean to derail the topic! lol
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Incredible Member

Great idea for a thread, love things like this.

My favourite Supes is All-Star, the quiz gave me Bronze Age, which I'm happy with.

Your Superman is: Bronze Age Superman!
    While just as powerful as he was in the Silver Age, this version of Superman often contemplated the effect he had on the world. He also decided to put more effort into developing his life as Clark the journalist, instead of just relying on Clark as a disguise.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

I recall a line from one of the Snyder movies (can't remember if its MoS or BvS) where they said that every act in this world is a political act.

Shades of Ozymandias
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Well,hello there Mr. Lelouch of britannia.
    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, the bully thing is a weird knee-jerk reaction. Some people go there literally any time anyone in a "position of power" uses their power on someone not in a "position of power". It's just... why? This isn't cases of ABUSING their power, merely exercising it. And that Superman thing seems to be the same logic. It's a simple minded concept related to the Robin Hood mindset. IE the idea that being rich MAKES stealing from you right.
    It isn't.but,the rich stealing is more culpable than a poor guy.. that's just where i stand.
    I'm really sorry they're gone, man. To say that sucks is putting it mildly.
    Losing her(my aunt) was pretty sudden.It was hard for awhile.But,it happened a while ago.I still miss her sometimes.My family and extended family, extended extended family (yeah! Pretty huge family) all just came to my rescue(or should i say annoyance) during that period.It was wierd coming to the realisation that my fortress of solitude was filled with all these creatures..lol!
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-16-2021 at 08:40 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

I wasn't suggesting Superman was a bully per se, but that some versions like to punish bullies, as a tactic if not from getting personal pleasure out of the act.

IMO, this is bullying a bully.

As is this:

And this:

Retired

I'm not asking for changes in the wording of the quiz. I like it just the way it is. But it is a kind of verbal Rorschach test--unintentionally or not. How my mind works, I read the words one way. Someone else can read the same sentences and come up with completely different meanings. Since I've been thinking about Superman all my life, I apply a lot of the psychology I've derived from the character. It's like looking at the shadows on the wall of the cave to figure out what's the ideal.

So when I look at those comic book pages, I don't believe Superman likes to bully people. He just thinks that these tactics are going to have the best result for the situation. I imagine him having a conversation with himself beforehand, about what he should do in this circumstance--and when he arrives at the decision to use force and intimidation, he has to do some serious preparation as with any method actor, to become the persona needed for that scene.

Edit: The scene from SUPERMAN II (is it Lester or Donner or both?) never rings true for me. In the context of the movie, it doesn't work. I reject it--not because it isn't my Superman, but because it's bad writing, given everything we know from the rest of the movie. It's there for a laugh, but the movie sacrifices everything it's established for the sake of a joke.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 09-16-2021 at 10:54 AM.