Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Edit: The scene from SUPERMAN II (is it Lester or Donner or both?) never rings true for me. In the context of the movie, it doesn't work. I reject it--not because it isn't my Superman, but because it's bad writing, given everything we know from the rest of the movie. It's there for a laugh, but the movie sacrifices everything it's established for the sake of a joke.
    you mean the bar bully scene? yeah that was stupid.

I got Golden Age. Surprised I didn’t get All Star.

My headcanon for the diner scene is that the bully had been terrorizing patrons for years, and Clark Kent sent him a message that changed him for life. One of those Superman Knows Best moments, though in real life it would probably result in the guy finding another local joint and find other victims to push around.

Incredible Member

Look, this is the kind of thing that movies throw in because they know audiences will love this kind of popcorn stuff.
    How many times have people been bullied in life? Wanting to be able to have the power of Superman to turn the tables?
    People loved, I mean loved, this scene in Superman II. Is it dopey? You bet. I don't think it is as bad as the first
    Superman movie (a film I like by the way) where Superman violates the space-time continuum to change time to go rescue
    Lois after she dies.

The reality is that a major film will take liberties. Sometimes, as we have seen lately, with things like Man of Steel a lot of
    liberties.

Retired

I think it depends on the cut. In the Donner cut, doesn't he turn back time, so none of it happened? Which would mean the trucker is getting payback for something he didn't do.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    My headcanon for the diner scene is that the bully had been terrorizing patrons for years, and Clark Kent sent him a message that changed him for life. One of those Superman Knows Best moments, though in real life it would probably result in the guy finding another local joint and find other victims to push around.
    Honestly? I'm not sure he'd even do that. Maybe be somewhat less of a jerk in that diner, but probably not much.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    Look, this is the kind of thing that movies throw in because they know audiences will love this kind of popcorn stuff.
    How many times have people been bullied in life? Wanting to be able to have the power of Superman to turn the tables?
    People loved, I mean loved, this scene in Superman II. Is it dopey? You bet. I don't think it is as bad as the first
    Superman movie (a film I like by the way) where Superman violates the space-time continuum to change time to go rescue
    Lois after she dies.

The reality is that a major film will take liberties. Sometimes, as we have seen lately, with things like Man of Steel a lot of
    liberties.
    It ain't about lois.It's about clark growing out of clinging on to rule books in dire straits.It's about a man's will to fight and struggle against fate and destiny. How can men hope to progress without being able to think outside the box he is in?

Clark basically grows enough to disagree with "you are here for a reason" and "It is forbidden for you to interfere with human history"..Superman exists to meddle..He has a pesky dog to boot...

I don't know,how that can be taking liberties?Superman and diner scene is pretty standard stuff. @Lightning Rider post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post

As is this:

And this:
    As for the bully not bully debate.It's inconsequential.As long as he protects what he set out to protect.

I love lex luthor.....
    Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Realistically,he will then meet someone else that would push him back there as well.He will get thrashed again.So,the guy would get thrashed untill he realises he can't do that no more.

I tend to think There is always that chivalrous guy right around every corner of every city,village..etc.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-17-2021 at 01:20 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't know,how that can be taking liberties?Superman and diner scene is pretty standard stuff.
    My issue with it was when/how he did it not so much WHAT he did.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    My issue with it was when/how he did it not so much WHAT he did.
    As said,the how is pretty standard stuff.If you could elaborate i could understand.

About the what,He thrashed a punk who thinks he is a bigshot,was nuisance to the people there and proceeded to give compensation to the diner for any/all damage he caused.

my only gripe with that scene is clark needing his powers back to handle the punk.Clark getting his ass beat first time was understandable.Clark should have came back without his abilities and kicked his ass.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-16-2021 at 09:55 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Probably from being neutral on many preferences, I did get Bronze Age. But I dig the description

While just as powerful as he was in the Silver Age, this version of Superman often contemplated the effect he had on the world. He also decided to put more effort into developing his life as Clark the journalist, instead of just relying on Clark as a disguise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Edit: The scene from SUPERMAN II (is it Lester or Donner or both?) never rings true for me. In the context of the movie, it doesn't work. I reject it--not because it isn't my Superman, but because it's bad writing, given everything we know from the rest of the movie. It's there for a laugh, but the movie sacrifices everything it's established for the sake of a joke.
    Agreed.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Realistically,he will then meet someone else that would push him back there as well.He will get thrashed again.So,the guy would get thrashed untill he realises he can't do that no more.

I tend to think There is always that chivalrous guy right around every corner of every city,village..etc.
    I figured the bully was supposed to be a guy that very few people could stand up to, which is why he got away with it for so long until Superman stepped into the picture.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

This is a fun thread!

I got Golden Age Superman.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I got Post-Crisis Superman.

What was the flavour-text for the other results?
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    This is a fun thread!

I got Golden Age Superman.
    Did that match up with what you expected?

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I got Post-Crisis Superman.

What was the flavour-text for the other results?
    Did you expect to get Post-Crisis?

Golden Age:

The original Superman (as written/illustrated by creators Jerry Siegal & Joe Shuster) is famous for his willingness to fight corruption and exact revenge on bullies. While he's much less powerful than most subsequent versions (he couldn't even fly!), his no-nonsense attitude makes him one of the most badass versions of Superman.

Silver Age:

Silver Age Superman is one of the most powerful incarnations of Superman. While this version was very much in touch with his Kryptonian roots, he also came to represent mainstream US values. This version largely inspired Christopher Reeve's 1978 interpretation of the character in the movie "Superman".

Bronze Age:

While just as powerful as he was in the Silver Age, this version of Superman often contemplated the effect he had on the world. He also decided to put more effort into developing his life as Clark the journalist, instead of just relying on Clark as a disguise.

Post-Crisis:

After Crisis on Infinite Earths, John Byrne totally revamped Superman in the "Man of Steel" mini-series. This Superman was born after his Kryptonian rocket landed on Earth, and his true personality is that of Clark Kent from Smallville, leaning more into his "human" side. He is less powerful than previous incarnations, and less overtly tied to ideological messaging.

All-Star:

When Grant Morrison wrote "All-Star Superman", it was an attempt to "synthesize the best of all previous eras." This version of Superman tries to solve the world's major problems, shows his Super-genius, and has a complex identity. As Morrison stated, "'Superman' is an act. 'Clark Kent' in Metropolis is also an act."

DCEU:

While Henry Cavill's interpretation of Superman shares a lot of similarities with Post-Crisis Superman, this version experiences fear and skepticism from the masses since childhood. Superman experiences significant self-doubt in "Man of Steel" and "Batman v Superman," but is nonetheless willing to step on the toes of the government/military if necessary. As Clark, his personality is largely consistent with that of Superman.

New 52:

This version of Superman brought a youthful & energized feel to the character. Powerful and eager to act, yet socially conscious, this version of Superman had a temper along with some very human insecurities.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I wasn't sure what to expect since I chose ease up on the power, kill the parents and screw the politics.
    "Cable was right!"