Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I was going to say “I feel like we have this thread too often” but you included a quiz so I’ll allow it lol.

Attachment 113732

Real shocker this one I’m sure but I prefer the t-shirt and jeans look to Lee’s armor and it’s only Morrison and Pak who wrote the New 52 Superman stories I absolutely love.
    Same here. The armor was always dumb and only Morrison & Pak's stories are worth a damn, but that version of the character nailed the kind of Superman I want to read.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Does that feel like the right result?
    Yes it does, since that version of the character is my favorite especially when he's written by Elliot S! Maggin.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Got post crisis Superman, and i'm happy for it, really love his comics including dan jurgens and tomasi's rebirth aswell as the stuff scott snyder wrote in the justice league 2018 comics.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    There is a certain baseline that does extend through every incarnation. The biggest example would be that regardless of whether the Kents are alive or dead, Superman is a hero because of their lives and teachings not because of how they died. Also Clark has a temper beneath that good natured exterior and it can flare up if he’s pushed hard enough.

Alan Moore! He wrote the best Bronze Age Superman stories as small a number as they were. Also Cary Bates was pretty good.
    When it comes to the Kents, it's long been my headcanon that their being alive or dead does affect how Superman is when he starts out.

In the Golden Age and the New 52, with both of them dead, Clark is much more of a vigilante and anti-authority figure when he starts out. While in all the version where they're alive, he leans closer to the ''Boy Scout'' interpretation right from Day 1 (I include the Silver Age/Bronze Age in this, because he technically starts out as Superboy when they're still alive).

Retired

There was a question that gave different options--and one was that both Kents are dead and another was that Superman was Superboy. This was difficult for me because I prefer that the Kents are dead and Superman was Superboy--but I was forced to choose between the two. So I picked the Superboy option, because that's a tiny bit more important to me than both Kents departed.

I wonder if that was the deciding factor that made me out to be a Grant Morrison booster rather than a pre-Crisis fan.

Glad you liked it! By filtering out other issues, do you mean continuity or other factors outside of his personality?
    I think he means that the quiz is breaking down which aspects of Superman stories do you like most and then guessing which time period of Superman depiction you would like based on that.

Incredible Member

Factors beyond the personality.
    Especially say the shorts question.
    At the time the Post-Crisis Superman was a shock, but he has really grown on me in the years since.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I am more curious what differentiates dceu superman from the rest other than the smile and charisma being absent(my opinion).Man of steel takes things from wide history of superman comics from 1938 to the year of reason of the movie.
    From memory, the most distinctive characteristics are:

Wears the weight of the world on his shoulders (agree)
    Spends a lot of time alone (agree)
    One of the most powerful beings alive (agree)
    Likes to punish bullies (agree)
    Had a difficult childhood (agree)
    Had a happy childhood (neutral or disagree)
    A segment of the population fears him (agree)
    Loved by the general population (neutral)
    Knows he's an alien (agree)
    Always has a smile on his face (disagree or neutral)
    Neutral on farmboy
    Neutral on obeying the government
    Neutral on Clark/Superman identity
    Ma Kent is alive
    No trunks

DCEU is definitely a mix, I just tried to capture it.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I got All-Star Superman, though I've always thought myself a Post-Crisis guy.

Now I'm questioning my entire fandom, thanks quiz!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Golden Age
    No surprises here.

Special thanks to Ascended for his feedback when I created the draft for this almost a year ago.
    It was my genuine pleasure, good sir.

Took the quiz. Took it twice back when Rider was bouncing his ideas off me and got, I believe, New52 and then (doing opposite answers) post-Crisis. Today I got the New52 again.

Which is largely correct, setting aside the questionable execution much of the era suffered through. There's a whole lot in the DNA of the New52 that really appeals to me; the best aspects of it are a modernized Golden-Silver Age fusion and it avoids many of the mistakes made during post-Crisis. Shame that the comics themselves rarely lived up to the potential of it all, but we still got some real gems like Morrison's run and Pak's, when he wasn't derailed by events.

Quiz came out real nice Rider, I hope everyone had as much fun with it as you did making it (and as much as I did giving feedback)
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

No surprise. Post-Crisis.

Astonishing Member

From memory, the most distinctive characteristics are:

Wears the weight of the world on his shoulders (agree)
    Spends a lot of time alone (agree)
    Had a difficult childhood (agree)
    Had a happy childhood (neutral or disagree)
    Loved by the general population (neutral)
    Always has a smile on his face (disagree or neutral)
    Neutral on farmboy
    Neutral on Clark/Superman identity
    Ma Kent is alive
    No trunks

DCEU is definitely a mix, I just tried to capture it.
    From what I recall, here's where I went on the answers to get DCEU Superman:

Wears the weight of the world on his shoulders (neutral)
    Spends a lot of time alone (neutral)
    Had a difficult childhood (disagree)
    Had a happy childhood (agree)
    Loved by the general population (agree)
    Always has a smile on his face (disagree)
    Neutral on farmboy
    Clark/Superman identity (agree on Clark being real, neutral on Superman being made-up)
    Kents are alive to see Clark becoming Superman
    No trunks

I guess that a few of my answers like ''segment of the population fearing him'', ''neutral on obeying the government'', ''stands up to bullies'', and ''no trunks'' were what pushed me towards the DCEU Superman, since I guess a lot of my answers apart from that leaned towards Post-Crisis.

Which again re-affirms my belief that DCEU Superman was Post-Crisis Superman with edge.
    Last edited by bat39; 09-14-2021 at 10:51 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Took the test, got bronze age. Not disappointed. Well-done. lol

More or less what I expected. Pretty sure anyone who knows me would be surprised if I got anything else given my general sensibilities for DC seem to be rooted in the Bronze Age even if I wasn't even alive back then.
    Last edited by Robanker; 09-14-2021 at 11:40 PM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

It's cool hearing what everyone got and how they feel about it - this is fun!

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    When it comes to the Kents, it's long been my headcanon that their being alive or dead does affect how Superman is when he starts out.

In the Golden Age and the New 52, with both of them dead, Clark is much more of a vigilante and anti-authority figure when he starts out. While in all the version where they're alive, he leans closer to the ''Boy Scout'' interpretation right from Day 1 (I include the Silver Age/Bronze Age in this, because he technically starts out as Superboy when they're still alive).
    The irony of this is that both of my parents are alive, and if you gave me powers right now, I'd probably make New52's t-shirt and jeans escapades look tame... lol

I do get what you mean and where you're coming from on that, I just had to say it.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/