Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default KOTOR remake is official

https://www.ign.com/videos/knights-o...reveal-trailer

Kind of curious how this will go. Will it follow the old story or try to fit it more into Disney canon (Which, apart from High Republic and some other stuff, hasn't delved too far into the ancient Star Wars past). After all the recent Final Fantasy VII remake has deviated from the original story (So much in fact that it was pretty much a part of the plot!).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Having never played the original I am excited to try this. Is it an exclusive? Got the impression it was.

I just have to get this out of the way...REVAN !!!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Never played the original game. No Bioware makes me want to give the game a try.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Never played the original game. No Bioware makes me want to give the game a try.
    The original was really well done, the story especially was really engrossing.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I guess Disney really is trying to "win" back the fans. It seems bizarre to do this in the midst of their High Republic stuff.

I think they're still allowing the the TOR MMO to still make some new material here and there despite it not being canon, but I guess it's sort of wait and see.

All we really have of Revan in canon was that some material for ROS had it be the name of a Sithtrooper legion. (Also Filoni wanted to put Revan in the Mortis arc, but that as deleted).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

It's a great game that many people never got to play because it was Xbox only to start. Of course it came out on PC later.

We can expect a major graphics upgrade, probably even more side missions, hopefully more hilarious arena fights and Space Card Games.

I'm looking forward to all of it except the Swoop Bike racing (wasn't a fan the first time round).

If I can't play SWTOR on the PlayStation (and I really don't see why I CAN'T given I can play Star Trek Online on the PS4), at least I can play this.

My only complaint is that maybe they should have remade and KOTOR 2 first while Keira's Voice Actress is still with us.

Two of my faves, I'll keep my ear to the ground on this but I'd be disappointed to see much story change. It very much doesn't need it. But it's hard to imagine them not trying to make it fit more with Disney canon to make their own mark.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Two of my faves, I'll keep my ear to the ground on this but I'd be disappointed to see much story change. It very much doesn't need it. But it's hard to imagine them not trying to make it fit more with Disney canon to make their own mark.
    It’s interesting, because the entire reason why LFL opened up the 4,000 BBY period so long ago was because it allowed it them to do almost whatever they wanted without stepping on anything from the films. Even stuff that did end up being directly contradicted, like Jedi marriage and Armies of Sith, was so easily sidestepped with light exposition that the cushion of eons would allow to become cemented by the time of the films.

Like, it’s indeed hard not to see some changes being made to the story just to justify why people should buy it… but it’s hard to see what types of specific issues Disney LFL would have with the bulk of its story just because it’s so distant from their current timeline, and from how often LFL personnel show they’re fans of the era.

I mean, what, are they going to jump in an have some character spend 15 minutes talking about the Dyad as a prophecy, and insist it totally overrides self-preservation, taste, and basic human interaction, just to try and justify the Reylo relationship?

I think it’s more likely you’d see someone try to sneak in some stuff from the comic series.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Seeing some red flags from interview with team behind the game. One quote made me uneasy.

Quote Originally Posted by ASPYR’S RYAN TREADWELL
    “We’ve been working really, really closely with Aspyr for a long time now to deconstruct what made KOTOR so great and bring that back to new audiences, because we want this game to be an incredible RPG,” says Kellogg. “We want this game to be just as beloved as it was before. Some of my favorite meetings to have in my week right now are to get into the nitty gritty with Aspyr and talk about, Why did we make that choice in the original game and how does that play today? How do we expand that choice and make it even more meaningful and impactful?’ We think about, literally, every word of dialogue and [other choices] down to the clothes that the character is wearing.
    Here is a link to the full article. https://www.starwars.com/news/knight...epublic-remake

Whenever I hear writers use words like deconstruct I get nervous. Also the talk about how the choices in the game would in his words "play today" made me groan
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

It's a remake. If they didn't appeal to the current climate of gaming they shouldn't bother.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Seeing some red flags from interview with team behind the game. One quote made me uneasy.

Here is a link to the full article. https://www.starwars.com/news/knight...epublic-remake

Whenever I hear writers use words like deconstruct I get nervous. Also the talk about how the choices in the game would in his words "play today" made me groan
    I imagine the revised Light Side/Dark Side choices are going to be more like Mass Effect's Paragon/Renegade choices.

So your turning Dark sider would be less of a sudden leap into crazed evildom but the hard choices of a amoral pragmatist.

Fantastic Member

I love KOTOR. One of my favorite games.

But let's be honest. The dialogue and "moral dilemmas" in the original game were cringe. That's not to say that updating that will necessarily be better, but updating is the right choice imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post

With Sam Maggs on the team I'm nervous too.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting