Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member

Default Can A Good Solo Superman Game Be Made? How Would You Make Work?

With the announcements of Wolverine, GOTG, Spider-Man games. It got me thinking how much I want a Superman game, but we haven’t gotten a solo Superman in a long time. We haven’t gotten one since 2006 with Superman Returns which was over 16 years ago. People say making a Superman game is tough because Superman can be everywhere and anywhere, and is too powerful hence why there hasn’t been a good game starring Superman ever. Can a solo Superman game work, and how would you make it work?
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr....man-video-game

Here’s my pitch for how I’d do it. In short yes it’s totally possible to do.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Yes, it's possible. How? I don't even need a pitch, there's some videos around here of an unmade Superman from after Superman Returns meant for a sequel the got canned. Though unmade, it got to the prototype gameplay stage. So basically just renew that with modern CG and stuff. Boom, done.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

I'm not a video game player by any stretch of the imagination but I think if the game had a cosmic scope it would work. The locations in the game are important. It should have the phantom zone, the 5th dimension, Apokalips, New genesis, War World, the 30th Century, the 853rd Century etc. He needs villains and settings that show the level of the threat he's up against.

I also think there should be something built in about how many people you successfully save giving you some bonus benefits or if you don't save enough people you lose the level.

Maybe there could also be some time constraint challenges or situations that would require creative use of his powers in ways that prevent collateral damage. I think it would be really interesting to try to put the player in superman's shoes and show them all the different things he has to take into account. You can't turn your heat vision up too hot in the city while fighting the robot monster, you cant use all of your strength to knock out the shady business man, you can't do anything in the game that would kill someone, etc.

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

Basically just make Megaton Rainfall, but with Superman's lore.
    Last edited by Marik Swift; 09-10-2021 at 08:48 AM.

Ultimate Member

I think it could work. I'm not sure what kind of game, but maybe something like Spider-Man games for PS. Only with Superman instead. Fly around to Metropolis, the Fortress of Solitude, even outer space, and fight villains like Lex and Brainiac. But you could also do smaller missions working for the Daily Bugle as a reporter, and even save people from natural and artificial disasters.

Supergirl, Power Girl and Superboy could be DLC.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr....man-video-game

Here’s my pitch for how I’d do it. In short yes it’s totally possible to do.
    Solid pitch, I think the Phantom Zone would be an excellent setting.