Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Superman's gameplay would be more like a beat-em up with heat vision being the shoulder buttons on the controller.

Flight could be seperate missions like how some platformers do vehicle missions. It could even be a fast travel mechanic.
    There’s games out right now that actually manage to do flight and combat

The building blocks are already there for the gameplay to work guys.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'm not that well-read on mythology from around the world, but Heracles wasn't a guy know for having spears, arrowheads, and swords breaking on him. He wore the Nemean Lion's hide as armor because mortal weapons couldn't penetrate it, so I just assumed that meant that Heracles could get harmed, too.

Maybe mythology writers from millennia ago were just less ridiculous about power creep?
    Heh, Achilles being invulnerable everywhere but his heel was a large part of his power set. However, while the hide of the Nemean Lion was great armor, Hercules was a tough enough guy to be able to wrestle the beast with his bare hands and kill it by inflicting massive internal trauma. Soo not invulnerable, but a LOT tougher than a normal guy. Even in the old myths.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    There’s games out right now that actually manage to do flight and combat

The building blocks are already there for the gameplay to work guys.
    Heh, There's Champions Online too. You want aerial combat? MWAHAHAAHAHAHAAH!!!!!...... don't look down. :P

Yes, it's one of mine, but... This discussion fits the topic of the video.
    Last edited by marhawkman; 09-12-2021 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Heh, Achilles being invulnerable everywhere but his heel was a large part of his power set. However, while the hide of the Nemean Lion was great armor, Hercules was a tough enough guy to be able to wrestle the beast with his bare hands and kill it by inflicting massive internal trauma. Soo not invulnerable, but a LOT tougher than a normal guy. Even in the old myths.
    Yeah, I thought of Achilles, but compared to modern-day heroes, Achilles (and probably Heracles, too) was a one-trick pony. Otherwise, Billy's mentor wizard would've been named something like AAAAAA, as in wisdom of Achilles, strength of Achilles, stamina of Achilles...

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Yeah, I thought of Achilles, but compared to modern-day heroes, Achilles (and probably Heracles, too) was a one-trick pony. Otherwise, Billy's mentor wizard would've been named something like AAAAAA, as in wisdom of Achilles, strength of Achilles, stamina of Achilles...

I chose hercules because When i think of superman the line that comes to my mind is "a genius in intellect and hercules in strength".And there was always these limits such as bursting shells to these guys.Hercules was durable as said enough to take on the Nemean lion.It's basically a leveling up afterwards.

Achilles was skilled in combat.Had powers from his lineage to gods and nymphs.He wasn't wise(should i say cunning) like Odysseus.But,when it came to war and athletics nobody could touch him.I would say if you are going for the invincible angle .Achilles is the closest bet.I mean,the whole tragic angle(struck down by lightning/arrow and no sun/heel) due to his own choices would fit as well.

Regardless,many of the guys i mentioned are immortal twice over (or was it thrice.i don't remember) in case of wukong.

My comparison was not pertaining to the myths persay.it was more about games.Anyways,what i was saying was Superman can have some schmuck with a gun firing bullets at him and not feel anything. That can be incorporated into game.But,when dealing with gods,demons,monsters,giants...etc.Yeah!superman is basically hercules (that flies now).Durable not invincible.

That was the case for hercules.he could beat up some punk with a sword and spear no problem.But,he can get decked by the hydra and feel it.Many would say hercules was about enduring hardships.I mean,the guy was driven to madness and killed his family.Still endured all that.

Even at his peak,Superman is only so durable and invincible enough to get absolutely crushed by a spectre or so like beings.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-13-2021 at 09:23 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Here is lost soul aside with speed blitz,afterimage abilities,lazer shows,solar flare...etc
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-13-2021 at 09:31 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post
    Dragonball Kakarot?
    Basically this is the game a Superman game should take inspiration from. Now, DBZ Kart still needed a bit more polish, but it had the right idea

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr....man-video-game

Here’s my pitch for how I’d do it. In short yes it’s totally possible to do.
    Solid pitch, I think the Phantom Zone would be an excellent setting.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That can be incorporated into game.But,when dealing with gods,demons,monsters,giants...etc.Yeah!superman is basically hercules (that flies now).Durable not invincible.[/B]
    I think that makes sense. If you scale up the threats at certain points, he becomes plausibly damaged. Plenty of weird stuff in the DCU that could damage him.

A good Superman game could totally be made today. It wouldn't even push current technology over the horizon, we already have everything we need.

Don't get me wrong, a proper Superman game would still push a modern console system on the high end and it's not something your ten year old PC would run well (if at all). It'd be dense as hell and one hell of a download, but every facet of what a Superman game needs, we've seen already. It's just a matter of putting the pieces together in the right way.

The real challenge isn't on the technical side, it's on the creative. How do you make the player feel like Clark, but still challenge them?

You need the character-focused narrative and on-point combat style of a PS4 Spider-Man, the environmental impact and power level of a Megaton Rainfall. It has to be cutting edge but still feel like it could be Reeve. It has to be accessible to noobs but still be recognizable to Super fans.

Hell of a lot of work if you wanna do it right, and you'd need a superstar team to do it. But there's nothing in the mix that doesn't already exist.

As for how I'd build it....I favor open world sandboxes like the Elder Scrolls, and that's the direction I'd want to take. But getting into the details would be an essay, and nobody wants to read a mile long post from me.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    A good Superman game could totally be made today. It wouldn't even push current technology over the horizon, we already have everything we need.

Don't get me wrong, a proper Superman game would still push a modern console system on the high end and it's not something your ten year old PC would run well (if at all). It'd be dense as hell and one hell of a download, but every facet of what a Superman game needs, we've seen already. It's just a matter of putting the pieces together in the right way.

The real challenge isn't on the technical side, it's on the creative. How do you make the player feel like Clark, but still challenge them?

You need the character-focused narrative and on-point combat style of a PS4 Spider-Man, the environmental impact and power level of a Megaton Rainfall. It has to be cutting edge but still feel like it could be Reeve. It has to be accessible to noobs but still be recognizable to Super fans.

Hell of a lot of work if you wanna do it right, and you'd need a superstar team to do it. But there's nothing in the mix that doesn't already exist.

As for how I'd build it....I favor open world sandboxes like the Elder Scrolls, and that's the direction I'd want to take. But getting into the details would be an essay, and nobody wants to read a mile long post from me.
    Yeah for a good open world game you need miles of scripting to add life to the world and even writing a brief summary would be several pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That's a lie, and you know it!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I want an open world

Naturally bulletproof except the villains hold a kryptonite or magic...

Most of the game at first will be about helping people not fighting

Flying at super speed is fast travel

Hold the Jump button for a second to hover

In the beginning he can only leap over a building in a single bound. Double tap the Jump button. Maybe slow down the camera to prevent dizziness.

Super hearing acts as alert notification if there's a civilian in danger

When fighting non powered criminal the punch is automatically turned to a flick so they can be flicked off safely

When fighting robots or tanks, there's a series of target you can choose before getting into it, so once chosen it turned into an automated cinematic beat down, slow motion possible

The strength of the punch is automatically adjusted by the game based on the enemy so you won't be seeing tanks hitting civilians just because you press the punch button too hard,

to be continued

I considered a reputation meter or morality meter based on how many people you safe or accidentally killed but that would be annoying. Even though Superman feels like he's walking on egg shell, that doesn't make a fun game. So I opt that the game and Superman automatically adjust his strength based on the enemy. This keeps it challenging while at the same time keeping character without getting frustrating.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 09-14-2021 at 01:17 AM.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Imagine stages where you play as Clark Kent doing some investigative journalism using the mechanics from the Arkham games to search for clues. That would be awesome.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Ultimate Member

There can be a hard mode where you have to manually control the power of your attacks, so if you accidentally kill someone or cause too much damage, you lose