Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 79
  1. #1
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Where The Food Is.
    Posts
    1,715

    Default Can A Good Solo Superman Game Be Made? How Would You Make Work?

    With the announcements of Wolverine, GOTG, Spider-Man games. It got me thinking how much I want a Superman game, but we havenít gotten a solo Superman in a long time. We havenít gotten one since 2006 with Superman Returns which was over 16 years ago. People say making a Superman game is tough because Superman can be everywhere and anywhere, and is too powerful hence why there hasnít been a good game starring Superman ever. Can a solo Superman game work, and how would you make it work?
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

    - Charles Schultz.

  2. #2
    Ultimate Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    12,804

    Default

    https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr....man-video-game

    Here’s my pitch for how I’d do it. In short yes it’s totally possible to do.
    For when my rants on the forums just arenít enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  3. #3
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,979

    Default

    Yes, it's possible. How? I don't even need a pitch, there's some videos around here of an unmade Superman from after Superman Returns meant for a sequel the got canned. Though unmade, it got to the prototype gameplay stage. So basically just renew that with modern CG and stuff. Boom, done.

  4. #4
    Fantastic Member magha_regulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    494

    Default

    I'm not a video game player by any stretch of the imagination but I think if the game had a cosmic scope it would work. The locations in the game are important. It should have the phantom zone, the 5th dimension, Apokalips, New genesis, War World, the 30th Century, the 853rd Century etc. He needs villains and settings that show the level of the threat he's up against.

    I also think there should be something built in about how many people you successfully save giving you some bonus benefits or if you don't save enough people you lose the level.

    Maybe there could also be some time constraint challenges or situations that would require creative use of his powers in ways that prevent collateral damage. I think it would be really interesting to try to put the player in superman's shoes and show them all the different things he has to take into account. You can't turn your heat vision up too hot in the city while fighting the robot monster, you cant use all of your strength to knock out the shady business man, you can't do anything in the game that would kill someone, etc.

  5. #5
    Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Basically just make Megaton Rainfall, but with Superman's lore.
    Last edited by Marik Swift; 09-10-2021 at 08:48 AM.

  6. #6
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    10,651

    Default

    I think it could work. I'm not sure what kind of game, but maybe something like Spider-Man games for PS. Only with Superman instead. Fly around to Metropolis, the Fortress of Solitude, even outer space, and fight villains like Lex and Brainiac. But you could also do smaller missions working for the Daily Bugle as a reporter, and even save people from natural and artificial disasters.

    Supergirl, Power Girl and Superboy could be DLC.

  7. #7
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Superman's strength is an excuse, you could make a younger, weaker superman, or a villain transform the sun into a red sun, you already have a weaker superman.
    as I would.
    It would be a role-playing game, it would use action comic new 52, ​​but it would make it bigger, metropolis would act as a tutorial, the different worlds would act as the different areas of the map.
    The experience would be achieved with missions and defeating enemies, within the game it would be explained that superman absorbs solar energy, that's why he gets stronger and stronger.
    There will be special worlds in which there will be different types of suns, which will make Superman weaker, stronger or give him new powers.
    The branch of skills would be divided into combat (strength, speed, resistance) support (superoido, healing, different types of vision, intelligence) special abilities (calorific vision, freezing breath, super breath), unique abilities (the new powers).
    The combat could be melee, long distance, stealth, they would be divided into basic and expert, (depending on the skills you get) in basic it would be the usual combat, in expert you would see the little tricks that Superman has shown in the comics , molecular vibration, lobotomy with calorific vision, etc.
    There will be equipment that superman will be able to find, manufacture, improve, armor that protects him from his weaknesses, that allows him to absorb more energy (experience) or that transform energy (experience) into the energy he needs for unique abilities. I think it's clear that I've thought about it a bit. haha.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,712

    Default

    Yes, with the caveat that some aspect of this game is probably going to disappoint a large segment of Superman or video game fans in ways that Arkham and Spider-man games don't.

  9. #9
    Ultimate Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    12,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Yes, with the caveat that some aspect of this game is probably going to disappoint a large segment of Superman or video game fans in ways that Arkham and Spider-man games don't.
    Meh, I doubt Superman fans would be disappointed. You’d get some complaining from Reddit or Twitter about how Superman isn’t like all the epic memes where he can push planets and fly faster than light, but Batman fans were able to enjoy the Arkham games despite lousy boss fights, little to no Batfamily interaction, and the awful Batmobile.
    For when my rants on the forums just arenít enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  10. #10

    Default

    I thought of Conner being suited to an Infamous-style open world game. I think you could set it post Death of Superman with him trying to be the Metropolis kid and live up to Big Blue's example.

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Meh, I doubt Superman fans would be disappointed. You’d get some complaining from Reddit or Twitter about how Superman isn’t like all the epic memes where he can push planets and fly faster than light, but Batman fans were able to enjoy the Arkham games despite lousy boss fights, little to no Batfamily interaction, and the awful Batmobile.
    I think for games mediocre story elements are more forgivable than lacking gameplay elements. For Arkham, I don't think it compromised much for Batman. For Superman, you have to give something. I think a game like Justice League Heroes or Lego Batman is mostly fine from a gameplay perspective, but they're not great Superman simulators the way Arkham is a Batman simulator. I'd say if you're willing to concede on points X, Y, and Z, you can get a pretty good Superman game, but to me that means the game already has a lower ceiling than Arkham or the Spidey games. In other words, I think the best I can ask for is either a good game that happens to use the Superman license, or a Superman simulator that's not necessarily what people think of when they think of most big-budget action games.

    EDIT: You could make a good game that a lot of Superman fans would probably like, but if you're one of those guys like me that prefer a really powerful Superman, you're going to have to modify the power sets to be more appropriate for a video game. Though if they went this route, it'd be hilarious if there was a God mode where you can play through the regular game when you're ridiculously overpowered and most tasks were trivially easy.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 09-10-2021 at 09:31 AM.

  12. #12
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    10,651

    Default

    I don't think he has to be god-mode level. Just generally powerful, but the missions would be scaled up from the "weaker" ones like in Arkham and Spidey

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4,676

    Default

    yeah, the trick is that the main bad guys are the super-villains, and... the rest are cannon fodder chumps. there are a LOT of super-bad guys to work with.

  14. #14
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    10,651

    Default

    I think it could help if Superman has a variety of missions, where all his abilities can be used.

  15. #15
    Ultimate Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    12,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I think for games mediocre story elements are more forgivable than lacking gameplay elements. For Arkham, I don't think it compromised much for Batman. For Superman, you have to give something. I think a game like Justice League Heroes or Lego Batman is mostly fine from a gameplay perspective, but they're not great Superman simulators the way Arkham is a Batman simulator. I'd say if you're willing to concede on points X, Y, and Z, you can get a pretty good Superman game, but to me that means the game already has a lower ceiling than Arkham or the Spidey games. In other words, I think the best I can ask for is either a good game that happens to use the Superman license, or a Superman simulator that's not necessarily what people think of when they think of most big-budget action games.

    EDIT: You could make a good game that a lot of Superman fans would probably like, but if you're one of those guys like me that prefer a really powerful Superman, you're going to have to modify the power sets to be more appropriate for a video game. Though if they went this route, it'd be hilarious if there was a God mode where you can play through the regular game when you're ridiculously overpowered and most tasks were trivially easy.
    Yes bluntly they’d never be able to appease someone like you, I’m assuming you want a Superman who can bench the moon and travel through space at FTL on his own right? Yeah they wouldn’t be able to make a game for you. For someone like me however, I would be quite happy with a more limited Superman. I’d even enjoy a game where he can’t fly and is back to Golden Age power levels as I outlined in my own pitch.

    His power levels are scaled to suit the story and always have been. Long as the story is good I’m fine.

    If Factor 5 had been able to finish their game I’m confident I would’ve loved it: https://twitter.com/devsalvatrix/sta...848120842?s=21
    Last edited by Vordan; 09-10-2021 at 03:19 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just arenít enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •