Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 285
  1. #136
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    85

    Default

    I don't care if it's good or not, I just want them to make *a* game about him.

  2. #137
    Original CBR member Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,105

    Default

    they've made games about him. They usually aren't that good which is why we don't get more.

    I bought the Nintendo 64 game and the Superman Returns one. They were okay but didn't have a lot of replayability. I liked the concept behind Superman Returns but it didn't pan out. It was hard to capture the full extent of his powers like super speed outside of flight. He also didnt't have any threats in the game. The mission was to keep the city and NPCs safe. It sounded cool to me at first but after a while you saw how limited the story and npcs were at the time. It was not as thrilling as say the Spider-Man games that came out years before.


    It's doable tho. A good studio can do it. This wouldn't be as challenging as making an immersive MMO or something
    The J-man

  3. #138
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority. I actually like the city health bar. It was a cool inverted feature in Superman Returns the game. Superman's main concern is the wellbeing of others. To constantly be alert and aware of your surrounds helps to place you in his headspace in my mind.

    But would that be fun for most video game players rather than just hard-core Superman fans?

    There is a part early in the game where asteroids are heading towards Metropolis and I thought that section was badly designed and frustrating.

    If you have to spend the entire game saving NPCs with bad AI who are constantly getting themselves killed, that is not a fun game.

  4. #139
    Extraordinary Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    5,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I have experienced the "city as health bar" mechanic, I thought it could be just a slightly more complex way of fighting enemies, but instead is a pain in the ass.

    Short version, I learned my lesson lol.

    The problem is making a system like that fun, which sounds like a bigger hassle compared to making regular combat where you die if you take too many hits.

    Like, I know that games being fun is as optional as optional can be, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be fun lol.
    Well, the trick is in making the objectives not too hard, but not too easy either. Which is a bit more tricky than just "don't die". Sky Command in CO is an example of it getting done right. Yes, the mission can fail, but only if the players screw it up.

    A very different way is in Freedom Force. That game had objectives where if a certain specific object got destroyed you lose, but that's the exception and not the rule. The rule is that your mission completion score is a function of how much stuff gets destroyed. IE the more stuff gets destroyed, the lower your score.

  5. #140
    Astonishing Member Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,525

    Default

    No, not a big fan of the city health bar. Makes it look like you are out of ideas.

  6. #141
    Ultimate Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    16,406

    Default

    When it comes down to it gameplay takes precedence over the “lore”. That’s how it works in every game and Superman is no different or he shouldn’t be. If you’re fixated on trying to recreate “comic” Superman (or a comic Superman anyway) you are likely to fail. Batman doesn’t have a healing factor but he does in the Arkham games because forcing the player to go back to the Batcave and get fixed by Alfred wouldn’t be fun.

    In terms of actual gameplay that SS gameplay already looks like it’s got the basic gameplay mechanics for Superman - likely a remnant of Rocksteady cannibalizing their Superman pitch and turning it into a SS game:

    Deadshot = flight and heat vision/arctic breath
    Boomerang = super speed
    King Shark = strength

    Building blocks are all there
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  7. #142
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    7,905

    Default

    I think people should just wait for ww game..if that's good and has following..Who know wb wouldn't be scared with characters like superman..I really want an aquaman game more than anything.. right now.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

  8. #143
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    3,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    No, not a big fan of the city health bar. Makes it look like you are out of ideas.
    Of course, they're out of ideas.

    No one can agree on what makes for a good Superman game.

  9. #144
    Extraordinary Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    5,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well, the trick is in making the objectives not too hard, but not too easy either. Which is a bit more tricky than just "don't die". Sky Command in CO is an example of it getting done right. Yes, the mission can fail, but only if the players screw it up.

    A very different way is in Freedom Force. That game had objectives where if a certain specific object got destroyed you lose, but that's the exception and not the rule. The rule is that your mission completion score is a function of how much stuff gets destroyed. IE the more stuff gets destroyed, the lower your score.
    That can work fine as long as it's not the only way the game can make you lose, Undefeated has the protagonist being impossible to hurt in any way, so combat is a slightly flashier version of Dynasty Warriors, which's garbage, and the boss battles have the boss not being able to hurt you too, so you have to protect the city, which's annoying lol.

    So yeah, maybe a Supes game could have missions with extra objectives to try to make them more varied or annoying, it's just that it shouldn't be the only way for the combat to work.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    When it comes down to it gameplay takes precedence over the “lore”. That’s how it works in every game and Superman is no different or he shouldn’t be. If you’re fixated on trying to recreate “comic” Superman (or a comic Superman anyway) you are likely to fail. Batman doesn’t have a healing factor but he does in the Arkham games because forcing the player to go back to the Batcave and get fixed by Alfred wouldn’t be fun.
    That reminds me that there's an Yu-Gi-Oh game had you needing to backtrack to the beginning of the game to restore life points, so there's at least one game out there using the Alfred idea you mentioned, in a way lol.

    In terms of actual gameplay that SS gameplay already looks like it’s got the basic gameplay mechanics for Superman - likely a remnant of Rocksteady cannibalizing their Superman pitch and turning it into a SS game:

    Deadshot = flight and heat vision/arctic breath
    Boomerang = super speed
    King Shark = strength

    Building blocks are all there
    How the fuck does Boomerang has super speed? Lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Of course, they're out of ideas.

    No one can agree on what makes for a good Superman game.
    And the only good ones (Or at least, fun looking) seem to have been the beat 'em up types, and that genre is dead...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

  10. #145
    Extraordinary Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    5,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    That can work fine as long as it's not the only way the game can make you lose, Undefeated has the protagonist being impossible to hurt in any way, so combat is a slightly flashier version of Dynasty Warriors, which's garbage, and the boss battles have the boss not being able to hurt you too, so you have to protect the city, which's annoying lol.

    So yeah, maybe a Supes game could have missions with extra objectives to try to make them more varied or annoying, it's just that it shouldn't be the only way for the combat to work.
    Well, Champions Online and Freedom force both have the possibility of you getting beaten up. in Freedom Force having your team Koed is the default lose option in most missions. In CO, getting KOed means you have to take the time to respawn and while you're doing that... you're not fighting.
    That reminds me that there's an Yu-Gi-Oh game had you needing to backtrack to the beginning of the game to restore life points, so there's at least one game out there using the Alfred idea you mentioned, in a way lol.
    Hmm IIRC that was Dark Duel Stories, and... you're basically taking a nap at home in bed. Those games were weird since it's very anime story focused, and the way you actually play is very different from the actual CCG gam that was published.

  11. #146
    All-New Member albert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    10

    Default

    A good solo Superman game is one of the most difficult things to make. The challenge lies not in the actual game mechanics, but in creating a compelling narrative and setting that will allow players to feel as if they are playing a real superhero.

    However, on the other hand, it seems like a really cool idea if adopted properly after doing sufficient research. We have seen a number of solo Batman games. A game based on Superman would be completely fascinating. I have just purchased a premium gaming console with the help of https://10beasts.com/best-gaming-console/ which is why I am really excited to try new action games.

  12. #147
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    3,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Hmm IIRC that was Dark Duel Stories, and... you're basically taking a nap at home in bed. Those games were weird since it's very anime story focused, and the way you actually play is very different from the actual CCG gam that was published.
    That game actually had closer mechanics to what Takahashi intended.

    If only it spawned a Millenium World game with Persona-esque mechanics.

  13. #148
    Extraordinary Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    5,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That game actually had closer mechanics to what Takahashi intended.

    If only it spawned a Millenium World game with Persona-esque mechanics.
    Heh, the significant thing with the DDS games is that they're the only Yugioh games I can think of where your life points actually carry over between battles, and you NEED to rest to restore them.... which didn't happen in the anime either.

    Enh, not even vaguely like a Superman game though.

  14. #149
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18,587

    Default

    I'm really late to the party, but the genres I'm mostly into don't really fit Superman, like RPG and FPS. But I was wondering if perhaps something in the mold of action adventure/hack and slash like Devil May Cry could work?
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "“Your boos mean nothing, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”

  15. #150
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    3,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm really late to the party, but the genres I'm mostly into don't really fit Superman, like RPG and FPS. But I was wondering if perhaps something in the mold of action adventure/hack and slash like Devil May Cry could work?
    There's no need to be restrictive. Video games are never just one genre.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •