Default Just completed Journey from Byrne Man of Steel reboot to Death and Return

Last year I wanted to read through the John Byrne run again. When I was nearly complete I didn't want it to end, so I bought the Superman Exile omnibus. I had never read the Roger Stern era before and loved it! Didn't want to stop, so I started the research of which issues between "Exile" and "Death and return" were collected in trade. It was so great reading the amazing Stern and Jurgens work, but also getting the backstory on Hank Henshaw, the Eradicator and Lex Jr.

What a fantastic Superman run, 1986-1993

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Despite me not liking some fundamental things about Post-COIE Superman's character (and some of, what I call, the Marvelization of Superman), despite me loathing Superman killing the PZ criminals, it was a fun run in the sense of a serial action-filled soap opera juggling Superman's supporting cast well and having a better villainous Luthor (who was a tad too much like Kingpin though) than Pre-COIE tearful-about-Einstein undervillainous Lex (pre-COIE Luthor had some good stories, but also some kinda overly pathetic ones).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-29-2022 at 11:01 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Despite me not liking some fundamental things about Post-COIE Superman's character (and some of, what I call, the Marvelization of Superman), despite me loathing Superman killing the PZ criminals, it was a fun run in the sense of a serial action-filled soap opera juggling Superman's supporting cast well and having a better villainous Luthor (who was a tad too much like Kingpin though) than Pre-COIE tearful-about-Einstein undervillainous Lex (pre-COIE Luthor had some good stories, but also some kinda overly pathetic ones).
    Thats a good observation about Luthor, he WAS very "kingpin-esque" at times!

Spectacular Member

I liked the John Byrne stuff, recently bought for the kindle Volumes 1-4 of the Man of Steel, need to sit and read them at some point... Same with The Death, Funeral for a Friend, Reign of the and Return of Superman, seen them cheap on Kindle... so will buy them with some gift money.

For me I like that intial era after Crisis

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Last year I wanted to read through the John Byrne run again. When I was nearly complete I didn't want it to end, so I bought the Superman Exile omnibus. I had never read the Roger Stern era before and loved it! Didn't want to stop, so I started the research of which issues between "Exile" and "Death and return" were collected in trade. It was so great reading the amazing Stern and Jurgens work, but also getting the backstory on Hank Henshaw, the Eradicator and Lex Jr.

What a fantastic Superman run, 1986-1993
    That's an amazing run, honestly. Stays that good, imo, until just around the "Death Of Clark Kent" arc - and still pretty good until "Superman: King Of The World". The end of that is a good stopping point, because it's when a lot of the Triangle team left.
    Last edited by JAK; 12-30-2022 at 04:12 PM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

One of my top five favorite stretches in all of comics are actually from the Supergirl Saga to World without a Superman. And of course, I like quite a bit of the associated comics. Maybe the only things I didn't really like were the debut of Sleez and Millennium. I haven't had much time at all for back issues but it's for sure what I'd return to if anything.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES