Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    This is going to be one of those things where people aren't going to "get" that this is a more subtle idea than they're thinking until they see it in practice (everybody has things like that, myself included, so that's not intended as a knock, either). And Superman Returns, while having some great ideas and I get why that's what people think of (which is ironic since I somewhat forgot about it myself, lol), isn't it.
    Yeah, some people might just not dig the idea but I feel like a lot of folks are taking the thing beyond its intended context and that's most of the disagreement. I'm not suggesting Superman Returns here and you're probably right that the balance I'm trying to strike between "threat" and "challenge" is too subtle to be properly conveyed through text, especially with the ghost of Returns out there giving everyone nightmares about another "city as health bar" treatment.

Did you play "Shadow of Apokalips" back in the day, by chance? That and the XBox game (Man of Steel) did a few things decently well for the time that could certainly be pumped up for today in exactly how you're describing.
    I did not, actually. Why, what are you thinking?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, some people might just not dig the idea but I feel like a lot of folks are taking the thing beyond its intended context and that's most of the disagreement. I'm not suggesting Superman Returns here and you're probably right that the balance I'm trying to strike between "threat" and "challenge" is too subtle to be properly conveyed through text, especially with the ghost of Returns out there giving everyone nightmares about another "city as health bar" treatment.
    I certainly think it's more that and not just a not liking the idea. In practice, they'd barely notice it most of the time. SR definitely sours the concept unfairly, but looking more at Red Dead and Fable gave me exactly the picture you're thinking. Heck, with certain aspects of what's possible, you'd even get a (very tiny) bit of Sim City in there, as your actions could affect the city in a lot of different ways (from structures to how criminals operate and what they have to use, etc).

I did not, actually. Why, what are you thinking?
    Oh, just that it has some rudimentary versions of some of these ideas - on easier difficulties, bullets don't even affect him as much, something I didn't know since I didn't play those modes back in the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf1b2YBp4hQ&t=1263s

It's a PAINFULLY slow and clunky play/watch now, but you can tell they were trying to think outside the box for a Superman experience.
    Last edited by JAK; 02-03-2022 at 05:16 PM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Astonishing Member

I think that “Superman Returns” was bad because of how unfocused it was (ironically because it was mostly following the movie as usual).

If we decide what kind of game we’re making, it might go easier.

As I've said, in my head this is largely just Skyrim: Metropolis Edition. Big open world to explore, lots of stuff to distract you from the main story. I want something I can burn a thousand hours on and still want to return to.

I'd maybe use Maxima as the main villain; she's shown up to woe Superman and add earth to the Almerac empire. I know everyone always wants Brainiac but Max is a fun, unexpected twist that makes for a different kind of story than people are used to from Clark. I'd lean hard on the "space Rome" aesthetic and avoid the....less appropriate....bits of Maxima's reputation. She wants to add Kryptonian strength to the royal line; she's a badass queen who takes what she wants and what's best for Almerac, not some bratty space slut. Not really dedicated to using her, but I wouldn't want to do somebody expected like Brainiac, Lex, Zod, or Darkseid. Not as the main villain, I think they could be in the game in some fashion, but perhaps the main story shouldn't be something so....predictable. If not Maxima, then at least not one of the obvious choices either.

Reputation meter like Fable that swings between Golden Age Outlaw and Silver Age Nice Guy, which would impact the story in various ways. That ties into what I was saying about "threats" and "challenges" too; it's not "city as a health bar" but if you're trying to be the Nice Guy, you probably shouldn't throw a bus at a bank robber.

Skill trees akin to Elder Scrolls so you can build your own kind of Superman and focus on different skills and powers. Including non-combat stuff, maybe even a skill tree for the crazy/weird powers (one branch for solar flare type attacks, one for zany Silver Age stuff, one for 90's electric/energy?), combat skills (a branch for boxing/MMA, a branch for Torcasm Vo?), maybe a skill tree for Clark's resources (a branch for Fortress tech, like Zone projectors, a branch for earthly resources like calling in Steel or SCU?).

Faction groups you can work with and rise through the ranks. I figure some groups are dependent on your rep; like STAR Labs wouldn't work with an Outlaw but Cadmus would, and each would offer different missions, rewards, stories, and vendors.

I went into some detail in post 59, back on page 5, with a few other things dropped shortly before or after that.

It's a PAINFULLY slow and clunky play/watch now, but you can tell they were trying to think outside the box for a Superman experience.
    Ha! See, my ideas aren't radical at all, studios have been trying to do this sorta thing with Clark for ages. We've just reached the point where the technology can actually pull it off.
    Last edited by Ascended; 02-03-2022 at 09:17 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

As I've said, in my head this is largely just Skyrim: Metropolis Edition. Big open world to explore, lots of stuff to distract you from the main story. I want something I can burn a thousand hours on and still want to return to.

I'd maybe use Maxima as the main villain; she's shown up to woe Superman and add earth to the Almerac empire. I know everyone always wants Brainiac but Max is a fun, unexpected twist that makes for a different kind of story than people are used to from Clark. I'd lean hard on the "space Rome" aesthetic and avoid the....less appropriate....bits of Maxima's reputation. She wants to add Kryptonian strength to the royal line; she's a badass queen who takes what she wants and what's best for Almerac, not some bratty space slut. Not really dedicated to using her, but I wouldn't want to do somebody expected like Brainiac, Lex, Zod, or Darkseid. Not as the main villain, I think they could be in the game in some fashion, but perhaps the main story shouldn't be something so....predictable. If not Maxima, then at least not one of the obvious choices either.

Reputation meter like Fable that swings between Golden Age Outlaw and Silver Age Nice Guy, which would impact the story in various ways. That ties into what I was saying about "threats" and "challenges" too; it's not "city as a health bar" but if you're trying to be the Nice Guy, you probably shouldn't throw a bus at a bank robber.

Skill trees akin to Elder Scrolls so you can build your own kind of Superman and focus on different skills and powers. Including non-combat stuff, maybe even a skill tree for the crazy/weird powers (one branch for solar flare type attacks, one for zany Silver Age stuff, one for 90's electric/energy?), combat skills (a branch for boxing/MMA, a branch for Torcasm Vo?), maybe a skill tree for Clark's resources (a branch for Fortress tech, like Zone projectors, a branch for earthly resources like calling in Steel or SCU?).

Faction groups you can work with and rise through the ranks. I figure some groups are dependent on your rep; like STAR Labs wouldn't work with an Outlaw but Cadmus would, and each would offer different missions, rewards, stories, and vendors.
    Sounds like an enormous amount of work, But well... the really good games are.

Ha! See, my ideas aren't radical at all, studios have been trying to do this sorta thing with Clark for ages. We've just reached the point where the technology can actually pull it off.
    Yep - and the XBox game (based in the B13-affected Metropolis, so pretty cool to see a comic book take for a change) did some of this, too (and the controls here had to've inspired DCUO's flight style):

https://youtu.be/RzOYnfmXaQk
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

There is so much that can be done. I already mentioned DBZ Kakarot as an inspiration

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

How do you feel about turn based?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    How do you feel about turn based?
    I hadn't considered turn based.

You know, maybe this is just my love of Final Fantasy talking but turn based seems a viable possibility. A big Superman flavored FF rpg? Hell that could be all kinds of stupid fun.

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

I think I’d want turn-based if he had party members.

Now that I think about it, what’s our stance on Superman working with other characters?

Incredible Member

Have the game start off with a really young Clark. one who just moved to Metropolis and starting his career. As the game progresses he would gain and level up his abilities. Kind of like GoW. By the end of the game we would be dealing with a fully powered Superman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Have the game start off with a really young Clark. one who just moved to Metropolis and starting his career. As the game progresses he would gain and level up his abilities. Kind of like GoW. By the end of the game we would be dealing with a fully powered Superman.
    That would be hit-or-miss since people don’t like to see Superman “weak”.

It might be easier to do a “The Death of Superman” story where we deal with his replacements.

I am bummed that we are getting a well done Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman game before Superman. At least the SS is taking place in Metropolis so maybe that map can be reused and expanded upon in a future game. Prob not made by Rocksteady though because they ditch all their old maps as you could tell with the Arkham games.

I hadn't considered turn based.

You know, maybe this is just my love of Final Fantasy talking but turn based seems a viable possibility. A big Superman flavored FF rpg? Hell that could be all kinds of stupid fun.
    FF abandoned Turn based a long time ago. But I recently finished Persona 5 and idk it got me thinking why not?