Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    FF abandoned Turn based a long time ago. But I recently finished Persona 5 and idk it got me thinking why not?
    Recent FF is pseudo turn-based, where character speed determines how often they act. It's not turns in the standard sense, but kinda similar.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Recent FF is pseudo turn-based, where character speed determines how often they act. It's not turns in the standard sense, but kinda similar.
    Actually it’s pre-FFXV games that are pseudo-turn based. FFXV was the first one to be completely Action.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Actually it’s pre-FFXV games that are pseudo-turn based. FFXV was the first one to be completely Action.
    I thought the newer ones still had some sort of charge meter that most of your attacks require to use? I guess it's more like a stamina mechanic that turn order though.

Astonishing Member

I thought the newer ones still had some sort of charge meter that most of your attacks require to use? I guess it's more like a stamina mechanic that turn order though.
    You’re thinking of the ATB (Active Time Battle) gauge, and besides the FF7 Remake, it’s mostly an old game thing.

I'm. Not sure which game you are referring too. FF7R? It's sorta hack and slash.

FF abandoned Turn based a long time ago. But I recently finished Persona 5 and idk it got me thinking why not?
    I know they gave up on turn based years ago, but I still think of FF when I think "turn based rpg."

Anyway, such a thing could be an interesting spin for Clark. It's not the fluid, real-time combat I was envisioning but I think it'd fit his vast array of abilities, skills, and powers, and it avoids a lot of hurdles in the gameplay. I dunno if the average player would get down with it but I'd be willing to give it a shot if they did it right. Y'know, Final Fantasy 12 did a weird mix of turn-based and real-time combat....maybe a "S" game could try something a little different like that?

I'd absolutely want this to be a group/party thing though. Do they even do single-character turn based games? I've only played ones where you have a group (usually four characters). Personally, my favorite take on this setup are the ones where you've got a large selection of characters to pick from, even if your party is limited to fewer. Final Fantasy 6 is the best example I can think of; there was probably a solid dozen characters to pick from (maybe more?), you could build them around specific roles or playstyles, then put whoever you wanted in your active group (of four).

Definitely not the League. A Superman game should be about Clark and his world, there's no need to force the other Leaguers into it. Kara, Conner, Krypto and Steel are all obvious, and fitting, choices. Jon would work depending on when the game was set in Clark's career, and Power Girl would be a solid choice for a game that goes a little bit cosmic (not even deal with the multiverse, just a story big enough for her origins to not feel out of place). But they are all kind of boring choices. Like, of course a "Super Fantasy" game would include them.

So why not someone like Gangbuster? Maggie Sawyer? Alpha Centurion? Bizarro? Maxima? Kelex? Eradicator? Vartox? I'm sure even Lois and Jimmy or Bibbo could be used as party members in a way that was right for them, but didn't turn them into superheroes.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I know they gave up on turn based years ago, but I still think of FF when I think "turn based rpg."

Anyway, such a thing could be an interesting spin for Clark. It's not the fluid, real-time combat I was envisioning but I think it'd fit his vast array of abilities, skills, and powers, and it avoids a lot of hurdles in the gameplay. I dunno if the average player would get down with it but I'd be willing to give it a shot if they did it right. Y'know, Final Fantasy 12 did a weird mix of turn-based and real-time combat....maybe a "S" game could try something a little different like that?

I'd absolutely want this to be a group/party thing though. Do they even do single-character turn based games? I've only played ones where you have a group (usually four characters). Personally, my favorite take on this setup are the ones where you've got a large selection of characters to pick from, even if your party is limited to fewer. Final Fantasy 6 is the best example I can think of; there was probably a solid dozen characters to pick from (maybe more?), you could build them around specific roles or playstyles, then put whoever you wanted in your active group (of four).

Definitely not the League. A Superman game should be about Clark and his world, there's no need to force the other Leaguers into it. Kara, Conner, Krypto and Steel are all obvious, and fitting, choices. Jon would work depending on when the game was set in Clark's career, and Power Girl would be a solid choice for a game that goes a little bit cosmic (not even deal with the multiverse, just a story big enough for her origins to not feel out of place). But they are all kind of boring choices. Like, of course a "Super Fantasy" game would include them.

So why not someone like Gangbuster? Maggie Sawyer? Alpha Centurion? Bizarro? Maxima? Kelex? Eradicator? Vartox? I'm sure even Lois and Jimmy or Bibbo could be used as party members in a way that was right for them, but didn't turn them into superheroes.
    Technically Pokémon and Digimon World 3, but that's just because they only have one party member out at a time.

Way back in the 1990s, I thought turn-based RPGs might be applicable for Superman considering how cinematic companies like Squaresoft were making battles. Plus, when you look at how stupidly powerful some attacks were, anywhere from meteor showers to actual supernovas, I figured if those were literal then Superman could easily partake in that. But in the end, for the star of Action Comics, a turn-based approach might feel like a copout to a lot of gamers.

Anyway, the lack of consensus in this thread shows us exactly why making a Superman game is so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Have you played any of the Personas?

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    But in the end, for the star of Action Comics, a turn-based approach might feel like a copout to a lot of gamers.
    That crossed my mind too, but I think if the game were handled correctly it might get a pass. I'd rather something of a cross between a hack-n-slash and Skyrim, but with the right kind of finesse, maybe turn based would work.

Have you played any of the Personas?
    Can't say I have. Don't get to game much anymore. Between the kids, work, wife, and other various grown up responsibilities (stupid grown up things!) there hasn't been much time for gaming. I know folks who manage to find the time but I rarely ever seem to.
    Last edited by Ascended; 02-18-2022 at 08:13 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

It’s funny that Action Comics got mentioned. I think it’d be cool if Zatara starred in a game alongside Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It’s funny that Action Comics got mentioned. I think it’d be cool if Zatara starred in a game alongside Superman.
    Agreed! The closest we've had so far is "Justice League Heroes," which is pretty amazing for it's time, imo.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Extraordinary Member

The easiest Superman game to make is still a TellTale-style "choose your scenario" game. Give the fans a way to create the type of Superman they want, give them a mystery to investigate as Clark, etc. You could even make the most variable part of the game be your relationship with Lois - is it a Silver Age-style thing where she suspects you're Superman and you have to counter taht, or is it a Post-Crisis thing where you build a regualr romance and reveal the secret yourself?

But yeah, getting the powers done right and then pairing it with a good story should be somewhere on a game designer's dream board.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

Superman!

Strange visitor from another planet: the player has to successfully pilot Kal-El's ship off a dying Krypton and then plot a course for Earth.

Who Came To Earth with Powers and Abilities Far Beyond Those of Mortal Men: the player has to successfully land Kal's ship so that it's found by the Kents. The next few stages of the game involve Clark at various ages learning how to use his emerging powers while also keeping his abilities a secret.

Who Can Change The Course of Mighty Rivers, Bend Steel In His Bare Hands: The player is now Clark, around sixteen or seventeen, using his powers to help those in need and fight crime covertly. This could involved characters and elements from SA Superboy stories and Byrne's secret savior.

And Who, Disguised As Clark Kent, Mild-Mannered Reporter For A Great Metropolitan Newspaper: Clark arrives in Metropolis and begins work as a reporter. This would be a lot like the detective elements of the Arkham games (I've only played Arkham City) with Clark investigating leads and occasionally running into trouble. The player has to complete these missions without revealing Clark's secret abilities.

Fights A Never Ending Battle For Truth, Justice, and The American Way: Clark debuts as Superman at full power, performing super feats throughout an open-world Metroplis and yes, having fights and battles in the process. Luthor would be the emerging villain behind the shady activities Clark researches in the reporter missions, eventually unleashing Metallo and other weapons on Superman. It would be great to see villains like Parasite, Toyman (inspired by S:TAS), and Brainiac as well. Doomsday and Zod or any other Kryptonians would NOT be in this game.

That's my pitch. Every element of Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El has to be showcased for a Superman game to be successful. The Fortress would also be a major site in the game, maybe even including side adventures involving the alien zoo or other mysteries and oddities.